• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Convince me that the world isn't overpopulated

Shaul

Premium Member
Would 8.5 million people(2021) living on 302.6 square miles of land be over crowding/over populated?
That's 28.1 thousand per square mile.

Welcome to New York City.
Monaco has a population density of 63,093 people per square mile. They seem to be doing all right.

We Never Know

No Slack
Monaco has a population density of 63,093 people per square mile. They seem to be doing all right.
Isn't the population around 35,000?

Land area of .8 miles.

So its equavilant to 63,000 per square miles I assume is your point.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It's a matter of resources.
Not of population density.

Unfortunately there are too many greedy people on this planet.
So...since an equitable distribution of resources is impossible because of these people, the only solution is to decrease population.

Shaul

Premium Member
It's a matter of resources.
Not of population density.

Unfortunately there are too many greedy people on this planet.
So...since an equitable distribution of resources is impossible because of these people, the only solution is to decrease population.
So summarizing, people are greedy so let them die.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not on cloudy days or in many places for much of winter. And winter is when the power is needed most
True, solar panels work best in full sunlight, but even sub-optimal performance is pretty much free power.

Heating is energy expensive. Most panel equipped houses have alternate heating, in fact, most are still connected to the grid/mains.
And in many places the wind doesn't blow enough to ever make them practical.
And yet they are. They provide cheaper power than fossil fuel generation in many places.
They're not put up haphazardly, they're erected in areas of almost continuous wind. If the wind dies in one place, power is shunted to its market from other wind or solar farms perhaps a thousand Km away.
People have been talking about these for decades and they still have very limited implementation. It might be because they are economically not viable. On the other hand nuclear power doesn't have these limitations.
No. The whole industry has been taking off like a rocket. Sustainable sources are going up all over. Efficiency is up, costs are down.
That's not to say nuclear doesn't have its place, but it has its drawbacks. It's not a perfect solution by any means.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Just think where the world population would be without war and abortion.
There are prostitutes who have never had abortions.
And have slept with hundreds of men in their life.

How so?
There is something called birth control, aka hormonal pill.

We will promote that. It's a cheap, incredibly effective medicament.

By the way...I have also friends who have slept with the entire neighborhood...never got pregnant and they are not hookers.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
It is correct that some aquifers are being used unwisely. That is unfortunate, to say the least. Especially since there are alternatives such as desalination. Some of the reasons for this misuse include incorrect perception of the actual costs and inertia of practice. These misuses will self-correct with time. However it would be better if people were educated about the issues so that needless damage is not done. But it isn't a problem in the sense that ready solutions are available. Similarly topsoil depletion also has solutions.

With respect, I think your facts are wrong here. Although I suppose if you're claiming the self-corrections will occur on the time scale of hundreds of thousands of years, long past the time when humans went extinct :(

As for solutions to top soil depletion, I have heard of none, please say more??

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I heard some people were putting these black plates onto their roofs and getting electricity from those. There are also giant pinwheels popping up in windy places....
Strange.

And how much mining is required to make those solar panels? And are all of the components readily available, or are they in short supply? And when they no longer work, can we dispose of them without soiling the environment?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
And how much mining is required to make those solar panels? And are all of the components readily available, or are they in short supply? And when they no longer work, can we dispose of them without soiling the environment?
Imagine those panels in Scandinavia.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
And the worst kind, too -- white ones. :eek:
Actually the grumpiest/ nastiest are grizzlies polars are nasty, just not as nasty and a few fries short of a happy meal too… polars ain’t bright. Neither are a chill as us 1500 pound killing machine kodiaks