• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Convince me that the world isn't overpopulated

Alexandra Paul has always been wonderful at explaining how this is a problem.
And it's not a matter of space. The spaces are borderless. The problem is resources, since so many lands are unproductive and 8 billion people is an unsustainable number.
And besides that, world overpopulation has been causing nothing but social inequalities and maldistribution of wealth.

And the shocking thing is that when I was born, world population was 4 billion.
Now it has doubled. It has reached 8 billion, and I am still young. Almost all of my former classmates are childless.
And they have no intention of making babies. Not only because of the uncertainty of the future...but because they don't want kids that will have to live in a nightmarish, overpopulated world.
I also advise people that being child-free is better, and they yell at me, telling I am wrong. Since the West is the one which is going through a birth rates collapse, and that it's other continents which should decrease their birth rates.
But the truth is that the future kids will have to face overwhelming immigration, and the discomfort of an overpopulated world.
So...we should think of their future.

View attachment 83178

Birth rates
The only way to decrease birth rates is to bring less developed countries up and give them clear and unfettered access to birth control. All of those countries in the red still use up less resources than most countries in blue.

Little Dragon

@Little Dragon
I would like to know your stance about this topic.
Since you spoke of Gaza's birth rates.
;)
Overall, the world population is set to plateau and then decline. All other things being equal.

So in basic principle, I would say no, the world is not worryingly overpopulated, as it is now and for the forseeable future.

Also, if an argument against overpopulation is based on a lack of resources and living space, for all. I would say, those issues are resolvable and can be solved if the will is there.

Hope that helps!

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Overall, the world population is set to plateau and then decline.
Unfortunately before that happens, the world population will have reached 11 billion.
We have run out of time.
So in basic principle, I would say no, the world is not worryingly overpopulated, as it is now and for the forseeable future.
It's not a problem of space. It's a problem of resources.
We cannot cut off all the trees. We will run out of oxygen.
But at the same time we need more and more wood, and arable lands.
Also, if an argument against overpopulation is based on a lack of resources and living space, for all. I would say, those issues are resolvable and can be solved if the will is there.

Hope that helps!
Unfortunately not. Because we produce food through mechanized agriculture and electricity is what will run out sooner or later because fuels will run out sooner or later.

I would investigate the Freudian aspect of all this.
There is a humanity that doesn't want to grow spiritually. They have sex with people they don't love, they make children, and then they divorce their partners.
A very squalid life for their kids, if you think about it.

My generation is made up of childless millennials who are children of divorced parents who suffered the most horrific traumas, and so they decide to be child-free not to make their own children live the inferno they have lived as a child.

Last edited:

Little Dragon

Because we produce food through mechanized agriculture and electricity is what will run out sooner or later because fuels will run out sooner or later.
Nuclear power and renewables will be around for a very long time.
Fusion power will be the optimal solution to every energy issue we face going forward, a technology that is improving every year.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Nuclear power and renewables will be around for a very long time.
Fusion power will be the optimal solution to every energy issue we face going forward, a technology that is improving every year.
What do you think of the sexual aspect of all this?

The birth rates are so high in certain countries because they want to make many children?
Or because of lack of contraception?

Little Dragon

What do you think of the sexual aspect of all this?

The birth rates are so high in certain countries because they want to make many children?
Or because of lack of contraception?
In animal populations, there is a definite bias to having more offspring when the rate of infant mortality rate is high. This is nature's way of balancing, the population. Compensating for the loss.

Humans are not much different. In poor underinvested war torn crappy places, infant mortality is high. So, more women fall pregnant, more often.
It's just the way it is.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In animal populations, there is a definite bias to having more offspring when the rate of infant mortality rate is high. This is nature's way of balancing, the population. Compensating for the loss.

Humans are not much different. In poor underinvested war torn crappy places, infant mortality is high. So, more women fall pregnant, more often.
It's just the way it is.
So they deliberately make many many children, are you saying?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Overall, the world population is set to plateau and then decline. All other things being equal.

Hope that helps!
I'd add that destruction of natural habitat is also a grave danger.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Wow...dozens of people here and nobody has even tried to convince me that the world isn't overpopulated.
;)

Kfox

Alexandra Paul has always been wonderful at explaining how this is a problem.
And it's not a matter of space. The spaces are borderless. The problem is resources, since so many lands are unproductive and 8 billion people is an unsustainable number.
And besides that, world overpopulation has been causing nothing but social inequalities and maldistribution of wealth.

And the shocking thing is that when I was born, world population was 4 billion.
Now it has doubled. It has reached 8 billion, and I am still young. Almost all of my former classmates are childless.
And they have no intention of making babies. Not only because of the uncertainty of the future...but because they don't want kids that will have to live in a nightmarish, overpopulated world.
I also advise people that being child-free is better, and they yell at me, telling I am wrong. Since the West is the one which is going through a birth rates collapse, and that it's other continents which should decrease their birth rates.
But the truth is that the future kids will have to face overwhelming immigration, and the discomfort of an overpopulated world.
So...we should think of their future.

View attachment 83178

Birth rates
People are living better lives today than ever before! Why do you have a problem with the world becoming more populated?

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Just look at any globe, map of the world or picture of earth from space. Make a little dot with a paint brush on that picture. All the people of world could fit in the little dot, maybe not comfortably but they could all fit. Just some perspective.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Just look at any globe, map of the world or picture of earth from space. Make a little dot with a paint brush on that picture. All the people of world could fit in the little dot, maybe not comfortably but they could all fit. Just some perspective.

In any post, from the OP onward, I have underlined it is a matter of resources.
Not space.
Too few resources.
If you eliminate all trees to make wood or paper...we all will die because the oxygen produced by plants is not enough