• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporal punishment in schools should be abolished

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I think it is just violence by a different name ... I am LONG out of school and I got physical punishment and it taught me nothing!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So kids who aren't disciplined grow up to be jarsh disciplinarians?

I guess I should've put some sort of emoticon on that - it was my attempt at humourously pointing out that when it comes to this issue, you're demonstrating the sort of entitlement that you complained about.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Back in the early 70's my school sent home a paper to parents. They had to sign it after checking a box concerning corporal punishment or I couldn't go to school. They could check No. Beneath was a list of the stuff they were taking responsibility for, and an agreement that the school could kick me out if the PARENTS didn't live up to the responsibilities they were agreeing to take on.

My dad always made a bit of a production out of signing Yes. "See here, Tom, if you don't behave the principal will smack your butt into next week. GET IT?

I was not a model child. My principal was always obviously embarrassed when he had to make good on the threat. I figured that power play out by middle school and I used it.

Tom

dust1n

Zindīq
It's a crime for one adult to imprision another, so why is it ever acceptable for an adult to sit their kid in timeout? That seems very messed up and backwards to me.

Also, there is a very obvious difference between an adult punching another adult with full force, and an adult giving a firm but restrained swat on a child's bottom. It's a dishonest analogy.

This analogy would be more dishonest, as hitting a kid and putting them in time out is not comparable, and since being imprisoned and being put in time out is not comparable.

As for hitting adults, I only give firm but restained swats to bottoms.

dust1n

Zindīq
Considering the attitudes in this thread, it's no wonder that a lot of children and teens nowadays are spoiled, ill-mannered, obnoxious brats with a sense of impunity and entitlement.

That's peculiar, because I was spanked, and I'm spoiled, ill mannered, and essentially no different than the whiny American generations that were my parents' and grandparents'.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Considering the attitudes in this thread, it's no wonder that a lot of children and teens nowadays are spoiled, ill-mannered, obnoxious brats with a sense of impunity and entitlement.

Speaking as an ex-teacher, I think the issue is that people too often conflate 'discipline' and 'corporal punishment'. Take my points with a grain of salt...as well as being an ex-teacher, I was a psychology major, which might make my opinions suspect to some...(;))

Couple of points to my mind;

1) Parents absolutely need to take responsibility for disciplining their kids. This requires a large investment of effort, and time, and needs to be a priority. Else don't have kids. My experience as a parent is that positive reinforcement is more effective long term than negative, but I do use negative reinforcement as well. Kids who are EFFECTIVELY disciplined at home, amazingly, cause little trouble at school.
Some parents don't have the required skills to do this, but it seems more common that they don't make the required effort on a consistent basis.

2) Where 1 doesn't occur, whatever the school does is going to be of limited effectiveness. Brats be brats, and a teacher occasionally spanking them is unlikely in the extreme to promote any sort of ongoing positive behavioural change.

3) What spanking may do is promote resentment in a way that other negative reinforcements may not do. I'd admit it's hard to be 100% certain on this. It's very unlikely that spanking is LESS harmful though.

4) Positive reinforcements are consistently shown to be the most effective means of modifying behaviour on a long term basis.

5) Here's the kicker. They take time. Changing one kid's behaviour out of a class of 20 is actually quite feasible, even without home support (as long as the home environment isn't completely destructive to this). However, how much time can/should a teacher invest in modifying one kid's behaviour, especially if the parents have failed in step 1?

dust1n

Zindīq
With if kids paddled each other? Kind of how kids grade each others quizzes from time to time, every class period, every student paddled every other student. I mean, it's not intended to be effective at anything, but imagine the YouTube videos.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Nope. No effect one way or the other, helping or hurting student performance. Just teaches kids more about violence as a solution. One that doesn't work very well.

So you say, but I know through experience and simply observing that it is not working, bring back the cane.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
So you say, but I know through experience and simply observing that it is not working, bring back the cane.

I repeat, rubbish.
I'll put my first hand experience up against yours if you like, else we can go the theoretical route. Your choice.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Bull. My teachers whaled on me constantly and I wound up exactly the same as I started out. They didn't accomplish anything.

Well you might of been a thick head, but it probably worked on other kids, like you don't represent every child out there..

dust1n

Zindīq
I do know one thing for sure... if any adult ever tried to physically attack me, than I would have reciprocated said attack immediately.

I say bring back the cane, as the long as the kids get one too. Only fair.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Montessori is in Australia too. Montessori Australia

Yeah, I taught at a school which ran Montessori programmes, although it was only a section of the school organised in that manner. Interesting.
I did find myself wondering how those students would cope when being re-integrated back into 'mainstream' schooling, at whatever point that occurred (secondary, and/or university).

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not here to argue, I'm just sharing my own observations, that's why I have a brain.

Raising your observations and opinions in a general debate forum does generally make them open to being challenged though.
We live in the same country, and I think your summation of the issues in schools is completely over-simplistic. No way bringing back the cane fixes the very real issues with Australian schooling. Not even from a discipline point of view.

In my opinion.