• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cosmic Indifference: What do you do after you realise the Universe doesn't care?

Laika

Premium Member
If there is no god, man has no special place or significance in creation. The universe was not "created" for us. We are simply here. we may be the result of underlying physical processes, but it does not carry any moral significance. I realise bringing this up in the context of atheism will necessarily be controversial because the term has such varied definitions but I wanted to discuss how people respond to the realisation that life has no purpose, meaning or significance beyond the fact we simply are here and have our own experience of pleasure and pain. that is our measure of right or wrong, but there is nothing really "objective" about it. its just how we evolved to sense of surroundings and what is in the interests of our survival as living organisms. our intellect is only one step away from that.

I think anyone here- regardless of their beliefs- may understand what I mean if you think about Outer-space. You can look up in the sky and the "universe" is out there, billions of light years in any direction. And here we are on this one tiny piece of rock hurtling round a giant ball of molten gas, and as tiny particles of organic matter with an infinitesimally small lifespan by comparison, we try to comprehend our significance amidst it all. why is the universe so peaceful when mankind is so violent? Is that a consequence of our egotism or do natures conflicts simply work on different timescales?

Maybe in thousands of years we will have spread out across other planets or stars, and found the secret to faster than light speed travel. It is possible, we may not make it that far, as we have no natural right to take our existence on his planet for granted. life is not a right. life just is. each of us can lose it, but the species may survive. And perhaps we can be convinced that it must be so. These are questions that those future generations will have to ponder as they go out into the vast open emptiness of outer space, and perhaps overcome the egotism of the adolescence of human history as we advance to become a global and then a planetary civilisation. what will our descendants say of us in a thousand or even million years time? Who will be there to greet us, if anyone at all?

I leave you with Carl Sagan's speech on the Pale Blue Dot. I don't have the answer, but it is none the less an interesting question of how we see ourselves in the context of a (practically) infinite universe and whether that it something frightening or liberating.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I find the fact the universe doesn't care to be both liberating and to increase my appreciation for life's experiences, both great and small. The notion of an overarching purpose seems to somehow discourage attentiveness to aspects of life that don't readily fit into ones notion of what that purpose is.

In my experience, having a purpose is pretty much the same thing as wearing blinders.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
The universe can't care because it isn't capable of thought. BUT! I find great pleasure and comfort in knowing that I am a part of the universe. We are all made of "star stuff". :) That means, you, me, and even @Revoltingest are all part of a great cosmic family that all came from a single instant in time and space. (Or so the theory goes)

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
The notion of an overarching purpose seems to somehow discourage attentiveness to aspects of life that don't readily fit into ones notion of what that purpose is. In my experience, having a purpose is pretty much the same thing as wearing blinders.
To expand, I have a similar criticism of the belief of a life after this one. It sort of... waters down this existence.

Jon916

I liked Sagan, great speaker and a way of relating very big things, to just how big they are.

Probably spot on about the tiny spot we inhabit in the omniverse. I used to think Jim Morrison had a great way of looking at the short life he had on the speck. "Just gonna get his kicks before the whole $#ithouse goes up in flames". He had an early out. Like Hunter S. Thompson, at about 50, it really gets old and one can start to say enough of this lame roller coaster!

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
why is the universe so peaceful when mankind is so violent?
The universe is far from peaceful; our sun as other suns will eventually blow up, taking us and the rest of this galaxy with it... Planets collide, stars explode, black holes suck everything up.

We live in a violent universe, where it is like a giant mixing pot....Our planet is even more so, where it is mixed with organic biology; where even plants are aggressive.
Is that a consequence of our egotism or do natures conflicts simply work on different timescales?
Ego is our inner/outer reflection with the world we live in. So when life is aggressive, we build up a way to protect our self.

Some people learn to manage their ego in a harsh environment, and some just become what it creates. :innocent:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The universe can't care because it isn't capable of thought. BUT! I find great pleasure and comfort in knowing that I am a part of the universe. We are all made of "star stuff". :) That means, you, me, and even @Revoltingest are all part of a great cosmic family that all came from a single instant in time and space. (Or so the theory goes)
The universe is the home of Revoltistan.
I like it here.
It's not perfect, but it's home.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Thoughtful answers, Nice that Laika asked. I eat, sleep, play with grandsons, being an Indian watch the game of cricket and follow politics, etc. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
When I found out the universe didn't care about me, it had no effect.
I'd never given the matter any thought, so I wasn't expecting it to.
Same here. Expecting that I'm important to the entire universe seems a fair bit more outlandish than expecting that there's a monument to me in Jakarta (as one example of a place where virtually nobody has even heard of me).

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I don't see why one would realize that at all. Someone makes you an infinitely beautiful, majestic, and mostly peaceful universe, fosters you from birth, and you conclude that no one cares about you? What do you want, free drinks too?

Just because something is small doesn't mean it is unimportant. Your cells are pretty small relative to you, but you sure get worrying about them in a hurry if they start replicating themselves wrong. Neurons are incredibly so, but every work of art ever created was the result of quite a lot of them managing to fall into a pattern for a little while. I think you're making the mistake of equivocating between "important" and "the most important". Not being the only or first priority of the gods doesn't mean they don't love you.