• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Nothingness Be Another Dimension In And Of Itself?

godnotgod

Thou art That
Hell, yeah! Assimilation is SO over-rated by those still attempting to annihilate their sense of self. They have to over-rate and denigrate as there is no alternative to the pine box of this kind of understanding. It's, quite literally, a dead end theology.

Sorry to inform you, but you've been assimilated since Day One, pretending you're distinct and unique and separate. It's just the wine talkin', Joe. Glitters, but a complete llusion.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
th

godnotgod

Thou art That
There was no "Day One", I don't drink wine and your arrogant nonsense has no limits...

The only reason you're convinced there is no Day One is because you've been drinking that heady egoic brew since DAY ONE! DUH!

k8677649.jpg

I Me Mine

All through' the day
I me mine, I me mine, I me mine.
All through' the night
Now they're frightened of leaving it
Ev'ryone's weaving it,
Coming on strong all the time,
All through' the day I me mine.

I-I-me-me mine, I-I-me-me mine,

All I can hear
Even those tears
No-one's frightened of playing it
Ev'ryone's saying it,
Flowing more freely than wine,
All through' the day I me mine.

I-I-me-me mine, I-I-me-me mine

All through' your life, I me mine.
I-I-me-me mine, I-I-me-me mine

The Beatles

Last edited:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Hell, yeah! Assimilation is SO over-rated by those still attempting to annihilate their sense of self. They have to over-rate and denigrate as there is no alternative to the pine box of this kind of understanding. It's, quite literally, a dead end theology.
True religious practice is not about annihilating the sense of self, ego self that sees the universe as being outside its body that is, it's about transcending the mortal stage of evolutionary progress. Don't worry, there will always be mortal bodies for those not yet ready for transcendence, for there can be no transcending of the mortal state without them... :p

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
True religious practice is not about annihilating the sense of sandwiches, ego self that sees the ultimate sandwich as being outside its body that is, it's about transcending the mortal stage of evolutionary mayo dressing. Don't worry, there will always be mortal pickles for those not yet ready for transcendence, for there can be no transcending of the mortal sandwich without them... :p

godnotgod

Thou art That
True religious practice is not about annihilating the sense of sandwiches, ego self that sees the ultimate sandwich as being outside its body that is, it's about transcending the mortal stage of evolutionary mayo dressing. Don't worry, there will always be mortal pickles for those not yet ready for transcendence, for there can be no transcending of the mortal sandwich without them... :p

Go to your room and peel your potatoes! There will be no pudding for you tonight!:p

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
True religious practice is not about annihilating the sense of self, ego self that sees the universe as being outside its body that is, it's about transcending the mortal stage of evolutionary progress. Don't worry, there will always be mortal bodies for those not yet ready for transcendence, for there can be no transcending of the mortal state without them... :p
Ahhhh, ok.... that makes sense.

*backs up slowly as not to alarm the person speaking with any sudden moves*

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
One of the prisoners from Plato's Cave, vehemently denying the existence of an alleged 'SUN'.
Thing about those Cave people: even the ones who escaped it are still in the cave, they just gained knowing that they're in a cave.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Thing about those Cave people: even the ones who escaped it are still in the cave, they just gained knowing that they're in a cave.

...and then going about making the cave their place of residence, decorating it and embellishing it with anything and everything to reinforce the correctness of cave dwelling, things such as Reason, Logic, and Analysis, the handmaidens of Science and Technology.

godnotgod

Thou art That
The No-Thing-Ness that is the source of the Universe is Timeless, Spaceless, and Conscious creating and re-creating itself from one eternal moment to the next.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Sorry I do not agree with 90% of your reply. There is quite a bit known about early Christianity, especially after the first thirty years. Much of the information is extra biblical as well! Most of the comments against Christianity were so dated and error filled I thought they had been cybernapped from decades ago.

But you are correct, we are getting off topic. However the reason I brought up Christianity at all was its view of nothingness, ie; (it does not exist if we are speaking of the material universe). I see that most replies agree that true nothingness does not exist, at least not 'now'. Thanks for sharing your beliefs thoughts.

MrMr
And I don't agree with your reply, so.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
No you don't. All that is known is that there is awareness, without an awareness-er; existence, without an exist-er.

As for a you that exists, here is the problem with Descartes cogito:

Søren Kierkegaard's critique[edit]
The Danish philosopherSøren Kierkegaardprovided a critical response to the cogito. Kierkegaard argues that the cogito already presupposes the existence of "I", and therefore concluding with existence is logically trivial. Kierkegaard's argument can be made clearer if one extracts the premise "I think" into two further premises:

"x" thinks
I am that "x"
Therefore I think
Therefore I am

Where "x" is used as a placeholder in order to disambiguate the "I" from the thinking thing.

Here, the cogito has already assumed the "I"'s existence as that which thinks. For Kierkegaard, Descartes is merely "developing the content of a concept", namely that the "I", which already exists, thinks.

Kierkegaard argues that the value of the cogito is not its logical argument, but it spsychological appeal: a thought must have something that exists to think the thought. It is psychologically difficult to think "I do not exist". But as Kierkegaard argues, the proper logical flow of argument is that existence is already assumed or presupposed in order for thinking to occur, not that existence is concluded from that thinking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogito_ergo_sum

So since there is no such 'I' that thinks, and therefore, exists, there is only universal awareness. Your consciousness is not yours; it is that of the universe, sculpted by ego in such a way as to appear to be 'mine', possessed by an imaginary 'I' and 'me'.
Meaningless ivory tower twaddle. I'll stick with what I know as self-evident.