• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Nothingness Be Another Dimension In And Of Itself?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Deducing that even smaller, then we have to discuss what it's dependent on, what those conditions are, what causes the arising/descent, what the cause of altering awareness is, etc.

In the suttas consciousness arises in dependence on sense organ and sense object, eg ear and sound. That seems to fit with experience.

Unification

No, not all interactions are equally complex, but they are all interactions nonetheless.

Can remove the "complex" and still have the word "interaction." When something is "complex," just reach in the handy toolbox of two words and bust out the word "complex" when needed.

godnotgod

Thou art That
I think you're right, but of course that will sound too "ordinary" to the ultra-spiritual types, they will insist on reifying such experiences and dressing them up with a load of religious mumbo-jumbo. <sigh>

From a Zen POV, the Ordinary and the Miraculous are one and the same. You must have known that from your Grand Tour of all the major Buddhist sects.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I see, back to your usual evasion strategy. Oh well.
One liners are your thing and do not tell me much about the coherency of your belief system...so how about a expose on your atheistic belief so we can see if you can prove it to be coherent?.. and of course I anticipate a one liner obfuscating response...

Rick O'Shez

Give your attention to the reason why this new translation had to be made. This is the key to understanding that, while consciousness is without self-nature, it still exists, and being without self-nature extrapolates to it being universal in nature.

I just re-read the article and as usual you have completely misrepresented what it says. The article makes no reference to the claim in your final phrase "...and being without self-nature extrapolates to it being universal in nature.", you have just made this up to pretend that the article supports your position. Why do you have to be so dishonest?

godnotgod

Thou art That
Do you know what Buddhist enlightenment is?

It's reminiscent of that old hippy saying "It's all one, man." Well no, it isn't, unless you're rather stoned.

If you can't see that it's all one, it means your just not tuned in, because your consciousness is still in a conditioned state.

Enlightenment is beyond anything being 'Buddhist'.

Rick O'Shez

One liners are your thing and do not tell me much about the coherency of your belief system...so how about a expose on your atheistic belief so we can see if you can prove it to be coherent?.. and of course I anticipate a one liner obfuscating response...

Atheists don't have a belief. You clearly have many beliefs but will never substantiate them.

godnotgod

Thou art That
I just re-read the article and as usual you have completely misrepresented what it says. The article makes no reference to the claim in your final phrase "...and being without self-nature extrapolates to it being universal in nature.", you have just made this up to pretend that the article supports your position. Why do you have to be so dishonest?

The moon must be in Stupid, or, at the very least, 'Un-Intuitive'.

Learn to read:

I did NOT say that is what the article said. I said that, from the new information being presented in the article, namely, that because phenomena are empty of self-nature, and which does not mean such phenomena to be non-existent, one can extrapolate that all phenomena, including consciousness, is universal in nature.

Last edited:

Unification

In the suttas consciousness arises in dependence on sense organ and sense object, eg ear and sound. That seems to fit with experience.

What happens when someone goes beyond those senses, is in sheer silence with their eyes closed...seeing nothing, hearing nothing, thinking of nothing, tasting nothing, etc.? When someone goes deep within, penetrating beyond their brain gates?

Unification

If you can't see that it's all one, it means your just not tuned in, because your consciousness is still in a conditioned state.

Enlightenment is beyond anything being 'Buddhist'.

That's what a "Sariputra" is, one who's mind can't quite see or understand yet but who is on their way/path.

They are just fine as they are. It's a progress/journey that never ends.

Rick O'Shez

I did NOT say that is what the article said. I said that, from the new information being presented in the article, namely, that because phenomena are empty of self-nature does not mean such phenomena to be non-existent, one can extrapolate that all phenomena, including consciousness, is universal in nature.

You're not extrapolating, you're misrepresenting, yet again. Have you no shame? The Heart Sutra clearly describes consciousness as being characterised by sunyata, which means that sunyata is incompatible with "cosmic consciousness". Clearly you don't like this truth and are going to any lengths to pretend it isn't so. Why?? Is your ego so fragile that you can't admit you have got this wrong?

Unification

...being a statement of confirmation that your consciousness is in a conditioned state, knee-jerk variety.

(Next patient, nurse! This one's incurable, I am afraid.)

Lol, everyone's minds are curable... The cosmos is like an all-you-can-eat buffet... it has unlimited years to mold.

Perhaps some are to the point of no return currently, their own black hole has sucked away most of the light and they are entrapped and can't escape currently.

Spiny has some light.

godnotgod

Thou art That

'Consciousness arises' in dependence of, but is not created by, sense organ/object. IOW, consciousness is always present, just below the surface of experience.

Rick O'Shez

What happens when someone goes beyond those senses, is in sheer silence with their eyes closed...seeing nothing, hearing nothing, thinking of nothing, tasting nothing, etc.? When someone goes deep within, penetrating beyond their brain gates?

Jhana.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Lol, everyone's minds are curable... The cosmos is like an all-you-can-eat buffet... it has unlimited years to mold.

Perhaps some are to the point of no return currently, their own black hole has sucked away most of the light and they are entrapped and can't escape currently.

Spiny has some light.

Yes, unfortunately he doesn't yet know how to use it to SEE. He has almost zero intuition in order to connect dot A to dot B. He is reliant on authority, without which he cannot move. This, we call 'other-directed' individuals, as compared to 'self-directed' ones.