• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cult Test

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well, that may very well be so, but it's not what I had in mind when I made the statement. My original statement was:

What I was actually trying to say is that people who overuse the word "cult," appear to me be have a real agenda. I think a lot of them use the word to refer to any church they perceive to be a threat, and they call it a "cult" so that people who may otherwise be interested in learning more about it will think twice. Nobody wants to get caught up in a cult (even people who actually are), so if people are told that a religion is a cult, they immediately cross that religion off their list of ones to learn more about.

The word cult is a descriptive word for a group of people who will be pleased to shape you into what pleases them, not what pleases you. That is a cult's agenda. It is real.
I don't disagree with you at all about that, but I'm confused about what your response to my comment actually has to do with the comment itself. Do you agree with what I said or do you disagree?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What I was actually trying to say is that people who overuse the word "cult," appear to me be have a real agenda. I think a lot of them use the word to refer to any church they perceive to be a threat, and they call it a "cult" so that people who may otherwise be interested in learning more about it will think twice. Nobody wants to get caught up in a cult (even people who actually are), so if people are told that a religion is a cult, they immediately cross that religion off their list of ones to learn more about.

I do not know about people who overuse the word cult. People who overuse it without it being attached to reason have an agenda. Yes.

You say they perceive what they believe are cults to be a threat. A threat to what?

Me calling the Jehovah's Witnesses a cult, is a warning to people who might be interested in becoming one, it's about giving up their freedom. Jehovah's Witnesses will say people do not become Jehovah's Witnesses so that they might retain the freedom to sin. I do not agree. I believe everyone should be free to become children of God the free way, not man's way. No man is free. Is he?

I disagree that calling a group a cult is discouraging people from learning about them. It would please me if everyone knew about the Jehovah's Witnesses.

What is usually true about groups that distinguish themselves according to the cult rule is the worst side of the group gets hidden until the initiation is over. Another definition. Haha. Where's my friend? Oh no. I mean my nonfriend. ;)

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
You say they perceive what they believe are cults to be a threat. A threat to what?
A threat to them. Let's take Mormonism, for instance. A lot of fundamentalist Christians call us a cult, but Catholics seldom do. Fundamentalists are losing numbers. They see Mormonism as "stealing their flock." What better way to convince people not to look into Mormonism than to call it a cult?

Me calling the Jehovah's Witnesses a cult, is a warning to people who might be interested in becoming one, it's about giving up their freedom. Jehovah's Witnesses will say people do not become Jehovah's Witnesses so that they might retain the freedom to sin.
Savagewind, you are in much better a position to call the Jehovah's Witnesses a cult than I am to deny they're a cult. I honestly don't have a definite opinion on the subject. The one thing that would lead me to disagree with you is that, to me, most cults make it extremely difficult for their members to leave. You have emphasized how easy it was. When you decided you wanted out, you simply left. I don't think that's really typical of how a cult operates, but as I said before, you know the JW's far, far better than I do.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A threat to them. Let's take Mormonism, for instance. A lot of fundamentalist Christians call us a cult, but Catholics seldom do. Fundamentalists are losing numbers. They see Mormonism as "stealing their flock." What better way to convince people not to look into Mormonism than to call it a cult?

Savagewind, you are in much better a position to call the Jehovah's Witnesses a cult than I am to deny they're a cult. I honestly don't have a definite opinion on the subject. The one thing that would lead me to disagree with you is that, to me, most cults make it extremely difficult for their members to leave. You have emphasized how easy it was. When you decided you wanted out, you simply left. I don't think that's really typical of how a cult operates, but as I said before, you know the JW's far, far better than I do.

It was not physically difficult for me to leave. It was emotionally painful for me though. It is much more emotionally difficult for someone to leave who has family in it. I had no family in it. Some people who wish to leave discover they cannot. It is too painful for them to say good bye to family. It is in that way the Jehovah's Witnesses make it difficult for someone to leave. I was not raised a JW. I cannot imagine what it is like for those whose whole family is JW.
Another thing that they do is they claim a person is leaving Jehovah if they leave the organization. That is simply not true. But many people believe it. It is hard to know my friends think I do not love God anymore and that I do not believe in Jesus. I do.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It was not physically difficult for me to leave. It was emotionally painful for me though. It is much more emotionally difficult for someone to leave who has family in it. I had no family in it. Some people who wish to leave discover they cannot. It is too painful for them to say good bye to family. It is in that way the Jehovah's Witnesses make it difficult for someone to leave. I was not raised a JW. I cannot imagine what it is like for those whose whole family is JW.
Thank you for the explanation. I agree that it would be much, much more difficult if you'd had family members in the organization. Now, to me, the shunning by family members definitely would constitute cult behavior.

Another thing that they do is they claim a person is leaving Jehovah if they leave the organization. That is simply not true. But many people believe it. It is hard to know my friends think I do not love God anymore and that I do not believe in Jesus. I do.
And that, in my opinion, is positively unconscionable of them! There is simply no excuse for doing anything of the sort.

Last edited:
What helped me was the realization that I am One with all there is, that there is no god, that we are all connected in pure Consciousness. While we believe we are separate from all there is we live our life in confusion, we fight against nature instead of flowing with nature, this is true religion, it is realizing this truth that sets you free.

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
hey Psychoslice,
I'm way over 100% on this thinking.
Nice post, well said, credos and such.
May the breeze of the spirits be with you.
And your spirit enjoy humanity, and it's natural beauty.
~
`mud

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Well, I think the right thing to do is to tell us the right definition. Don't you?

Hello Savage!

Enjoyed the posts on this....... :)

From what I read here the local model boat club is a cult!

Look at this definition:-

a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b. The followers of such a religion or sect.
2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
b. The object of such devotion.
6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

That covers everything from the 'Beatles appreciation society' to the 'Herne Bay Grannies' and Grandad's' Bingo Club'!!

What I want to know is, what religion is not a cult?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hello Savage!

Enjoyed the posts on this....... :)

From what I read here the local model boat club is a cult!

Look at this definition:-

a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b. The followers of such a religion or sect.
2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
b. The object of such devotion.
6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

That covers everything from the 'Beatles appreciation society' to the 'Herne Bay Grannies' and Grandad's' Bingo Club'!!

What I want to know is, what religion is not a cult?

Is there a religion that exists that cannot be classified as cultish? Yes, I think so.

1a. The true Jesus is not authoritarian. Actually I am taught by him to obey The Father who is invisible and so cannot be assumed to be charismatic. I am taught by him to live a peaceful life. It is very true peace is unconventional but guess what? I don't care.
b. same as a
2. My faith is not a system. Jesus say "you imagine you will get a hearing for your many [systematic] words". Also he said the truth will set you free. Am I the only one who sees system is opposite of freedom?
3. same as 2
4. How is it you can say this is as most religions are please?
5a I do not know what this means
b. God is a Spirit. Spirits are not objects. If spirit had an opposite object would be it.
6. I know for a fact Jesus and I are artistic and intellectual but we are not an exclusive club. Far from it.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That post to Akivah is a request for the correct definition of Corban. I think it's not forthcoming. I'm waiting. Never give up, I say!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What religion isn't a cult? I believe the religion of Jesus was suppose to be something different. If it existed it would not be cultish.

I might as well go out on a limb and say the twisted versions of the Good News IS the antichrist. Sorry all you mercenaries. It won't be as fun as you imagine.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No exiting WAR development for You*.

1 Corinthians 15:32 If I fought wild beasts in Ephesus with no more than human hopes, what have I gained? If the dead are not raised, "Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die."

When he said "you will hear of reports of war" what he meant was you will hear there will be leaders taking over the Good News for their own whatever. And they did. I think the correct response is "that's life". War as in reports of war means power struggle. That is what has happened. We are it's result. Daniel was right. The WHOLE mankind crushed the Kingdom of God Daniel 2:44. The Kingdom of God is the message of peace. Is it working? How can you say it is working? Is it not working because God is weak or because God alone is TRUE?

*I hate whenever someone says "Me?" What did you do? Did you sell your imagination?

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why not try this? Please look and see if it is the message that is antichrist and NOT a person.

If Jesus is Earth's MESSAGE of peace and the message is lost, what has replaced it is ANTI message of peace. If the alternate message is believed is it possible to look fo the real Christ (the spirit)? NO! How would it be? Because of it, the meaning has been lost. If the meaning is lost, what have you? What you have is not Christ. What is not Christ is anti christ.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
There you go again. Jesus.

Thanks for your replies...

Questions:-
Is your Christianity an individuality to you?
Are true Christians believers who tend not to congregate into named groups?

Ohh, yes.... important question:- Can you go into any, absolutely any.... church or christian 'house' and take part in a service with that congregation, extending your love to all about you but just privately, personally, seeing Yeshua in your own individual way?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A scripture perhaps? Daniel 9:26 the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks for your replies...

Questions:-

You're welcome.

Is your Christianity an individuality to you?

I know no one else who believes as I do.

Are true Christians believers who tend not to congregate into named groups?
I do not personally know another true Christian. (according to my estimation) So I do not know what they do.

Ohh, yes.... important question:- Can you go into any, absolutely any.... church or christian 'house' and take part in a service with that congregation, extending your love to all about you but just privately, personally, seeing Yeshua in your own individual way?
I have not done that so I cannot say if it is possible for me to do. I am not aware that it should be forbidden somehow.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
You might consider doing that...... just wandering into all sorts of Christian services, regardless....... there are hundreds and hundreds of differing churches.... and just taking part with the congregation. It can do no harm to a Christian (you can go anywhere), and who knows...... you might bump into a similar heart and soul.

Question: Does it matter if a group of folks is a cult? Are all cults bad?