• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darwin's Illusion

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I've defined "consciousness" many many times in countless hundreds of words. I suppose now that we've finally gotten past "life is consciousness" and "free will" is what it does I can do it again.
Even sub-atomic particles or waves, if you would call them that, are conscious.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
No I don't
Evidently (that evidence is from the posts here, by the way) there are those who believe in the theory of evolution and that humans evolved from -- ? -- fish? You know way down the line -- the evolutionary line, of course. After they developed lungs that cannot survive underwater for too long, is that right? If I recall correctly, @IndigoChild5559 believes we humans evolved from fish. :) In the "long run," I suppose. You know, after a while...

YoursTrue

I didn't say "aware". I said "conscious". "Awareness" is almost a synonym "thinking" and only humans experience thought. "Thought" is the comparison of sensory input to models. Other species simply know what consciousness is, we do not. Another definition of "awareness" is when we look at something. Ancients referred to this as an event being in the center of the eye. When one looked at something one could observe it in the center of the eye.

And this is why when I say "consciousness is life and life is consciousness" that it is invisible. I have different models and paradigms to hold my knowledge and don't use taxonomies; I don't even believe in species.

To what end? When you count on rotten mcintosh apple plus one mandarin orange and a three legged stool what do you get?

Life lives and these things are part of living. Consciousness can't make an individual thrive if it is sick, lame, or severely injured.

I understand the problem. My words are intended literally and I use a lot of tautology. The usage of tautologies is an attempt to tell the reader what I mean.
My biology teacher explained that animals have a "fight or flight" instinct, different from the fear factor in humans. I believed that then, and I believe it now. Humans are far different in thoughtful complexity than animals. Yes, I believe humans are not animals unless they act like them.

YoursTrue

Most modern English translations of the Bible relied on the Masoretic Text (MT) as their main source when translating the Old Testament.

If we were to compare the generations of patriarchs in Genesis (5:1-32 & 11:10-32, eg from the creation of Adam to birth of Abraham) the numbers of years in MT differed to the other sources, such as Greek Septuagint (eg Codex Vaticanus) and the Samaritan Pentateuch.

sourcesnumbers of years (age of patriarch when son was born)
Masoretic Text1948
Septuagint (Codex Vaticanus)3314
Samaritan Pentateuch2249

I have noticed that the Latin source - the Vulgate Bible - match the years with the Masoretic Text.

Anyway, calculating the age of earth based on the Bible, will vary widely, depending on the source being used.
Just taking one point at a time here (about the Masoretic text, I can discuss others later...if possible).
The term Masoretic text refers to text of the Hebrew Scriptures (usually called the Old Testament) found in a number of Hebrew manuscripts which were produced by Jewish scholars and scribes. These men carefully guarded the accurate transmission of copying the Hebrew text, and became known as Masoretes. (masorah in Hebrew means “tradition.”) The manuscripts were made from the sixth century C.E. onward and is the basis for many modern Bible translations of the Hebrew Scriptures.
As you probably know, the copyists meticulously counted the number of words and even the number of letters to make sure that no errors crept in. The original Hebrew text was written with consonants only, and the Masoretes devised a system of vowel pointing and accenting in order to preserve the traditional pronunciation.

YoursTrue

She has a weak grasp of analogies and proverbs.
Yes? So you (and many others) believe that evolution has been tested, is that right? :)
Please explain, if you will or can. Thanks. And please then say how this validates the Theory of Evolution. Thanks again.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Evidently (that evidence is from the posts here, by the way) there are those who believe in the theory of evolution and that humans evolved from -- ? -- fish? You know way down the line -- the evolutionary line, of course. After they developed lungs that cannot survive underwater for too long, is that right? If I recall correctly, @IndigoChild5559 believes we humans evolved from fish. :) In the "long run," I suppose. You know, after a while...

I don't really understand what you're saying. If you're talking about life moving from water to land I believe tetrapods are the earliest fossils that have been found. I couldn't be bothered looking it up because you wouldn't look at it anyway. If you're talking about modern H.Sapien I believe we evolved from early H. Sapiens. I'm sure a quick google search would confirm that or show me wrong, once again

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My biology teacher explained that animals have a "fight or flight" instinct, different from the fear factor in humans. I believed that then, and I believe it now. Humans are far different in thoughtful complexity than animals. Yes, I believe humans are not animals unless they act like them.
Your biology teacher did not teach you Taxonomy.
Taxonomy - Wikipedia, Human - Wikipedia
"Humans (Homo sapiens) are the most common and widespread species of primate."

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes? So you (and many others) believe that evolution has been tested, is that right? :)
Please explain, if you will or can. Thanks. And please then say how this validates the Theory of Evolution. Thanks again.
Selective breeding is a form of evolution, albeit not dependent on completely random circumstances. Ever been to a dog show? Evolution ─ descent with modification ─ is a fact of life.

Why do you think such processes can't happen in the wild?

How do you think so many different kinds of critters came into being?

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
Just taking one point at a time here (about the Masoretic text, I can discuss others later...if possible).
The term Masoretic text refers to text of the Hebrew Scriptures (usually called the Old Testament) found in a number of Hebrew manuscripts which were produced by Jewish scholars and scribes. These men carefully guarded the accurate transmission of copying the Hebrew text, and became known as Masoretes. (masorah in Hebrew means “tradition.”) The manuscripts were made from the sixth century C.E. onward and is the basis for many modern Bible translations of the Hebrew Scriptures.
As you probably know, the copyists meticulously counted the number of words and even the number of letters to make sure that no errors crept in. The original Hebrew text was written with consonants only, and the Masoretes devised a system of vowel pointing and accenting in order to preserve the traditional pronunciation.

I know very well the history of the Masoretic Text, as well as those with Septuagint & Samaritan Torah.

The point with my post, was that different sources will give enormously different ages to the Earth.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
And all of them in conflict with science.

Yeah, but that doesn't stop this:
The Thomas Theorem: If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences.
That is sociology and not natural science.
So what religious do, is a part of the universe and can be explained with science, but not natural science.

gnostic

The Lost One
I could go for that.

For years people encouraged me to write an article for Egyptology. It wouldda been tossed in the trash without even being read. These people won't even converse with outsiders. The last thing they are going to do is argue or consider.

Without the input of skeptics on the internet my theory would be highly incomplete and riddled with errors, some of which would be laughable. I ,mightta said beavers eat fish or something!

Why do you insist on bringing up Egyptology, Egypt and pyramids which are totally unrelated to evolution vs creationism topic?

gnostic

The Lost One
And all of them in conflict with science.

Yes, I know.

If the Old Testament, especially from Genesis, is any indication, the multiple sources tell us, the large portions of the Bible are unreliable, scientifically & historically/archaeologically.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
On a related tangent, are you familiar with what countable and uncountable nouns mean in grammar? Furniture is an uncountable noun, but table and chair are countable, thus the furniture comprised one table and four chairs, but furniture itself isn't counted, as in there were two furnitures. Less is the adjective for uncountable nouns (less furniture, less money, less water) but fewer for countable nouns (fewer chairs, fewer dollars, fewer ounces), which is why this drives some language purists nuts:
We want.... a shrubbery!

exchemist

Veteran Member
Correct. We can trace the evolutionary path back to the Devonian/Carboniferous.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I understand the logic, but there are problems with proclaimed data, such as dates. Anyway I won't go into it now. So you say evolution the theory of has been tested.?
Exhaustively. Pick up any biological journal and you'll see. The principles have been used for thousands of years. You'll never find a wild corn (maize) plant or cocker spaniel, and broccoli, kale, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, &al are all the same species. These were selectively bred, just like all the other animals and plants you see around you.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Dan from Smithville said: Scientific experiments are not some sort of magic ritual that imbues science with some immaterial essence of revealed truth.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it see. It is so obvious, it screams.
I said: The horse is you, YT.
You replied: Lol so are you but maybe fish was your way back grandparen
This is why I said you had a weak grasp of parables and analogies.

The reference was: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." Do you understand what this means?

Dan was referring to your propensity for ignoring or turning up your nose at information when we 'lead you to it', when he changed it to "...can't make it see."