• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darwin's Illusion

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I just read that and was about to link it. I can see that it is about as well respected in Australia as our baloney is respected here. In some areas they even use the ultimate pejorative "Belgium".

That's a bit harsh, I used to like a couple of Belgium beers when I could drink without getting sick for a week.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Fun fact... bologna is called devon here and there's even a fancy type called mortadella. I'm unsure of its migratory history.
Bologna is one of a handful of processed foods I remember from childhood, that I occasionally eat for that reason. Otherwise, a diet prominent in it or those other things wouldn't be healthy.

I also like several different Belgian beers. Not all at once.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to get there and do some birding and I have the opportunity next year but I doubt if I'll go. The Mrs is going over to visit the grandkids and wants me to go. I would if I could get someone to watch the dog for 3 months and if the 14 hour flight was 13 hours shorter and if she didn't want to go to her school reunion.
I understand. It has been my interest to visit Australia since I was young. After that long a flight, I might just decide to stay to avoid the return trip.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Nature is fascinating.

But no matter how complex a behavior wired into a conscious individual a member of his species had to invent that behavior.

I don't believe that. It doesn't make sense. Here for a change I agree with @John53 about the fabulous instinct of some birds.

YoursTrue

I'm fascinated with instinct especially with some species of migratory waders. I'd always assumed the young birds followed the older birds until I found out the parents leave the breeding areas before the young. How something can make a trip from breeding grounds in the Arctic to Australia is wondrous enough but that the first trip is done with no knowledge or training is almost beyond belief.
Well well well. Thanks for that! You did good! Don't blame me...lol...

cladking

I don't believe that. It doesn't make sense. Here for a change I agree with @John53 about the fabulous instinct of some birds.

The first migration of a species is different than the one it makes today. this has been established through experiment and it is known that species have been migrating from S Am to Africa virtually since the time they were joined. What doesn't make sense is the presumption any instinctive complex behavior might have been born full blown. A million years ago a bee's waggle dance was less complex and every change was the result of an individual's "idea". Nature (God) does not endow creatures with thought or instinct, only the potential through free will. A species filling any niche might require some hardwiring that we call "instinct" to fill that niche.

This means individuals operate on consciousness using free will and does not mean any or all of their behavior is "instinctive". Even a giraffe taking its first step is still thinking even though it doesn't experience "thought". Only homo omnisciencis experiences thought and the word dates back only to the "tower of babel".

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Be kind to him, he's from one of those states with an excess of vowels in the name.
I like the names of some of the Australian communities.

Names like Toowoomba, Wagga Wagga, Warrnambool, Nimmitabel and Murwillumbah to name but a few, all seem interesting to me.

I used to get cotton plant samples from research fields in Goondiwindi, Toowoomba, Moree and Narrabri.

Seems like they are the result of a vowel movement so to speak.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I was thinking of responding with a list of things I don't know but I'm 62 and don't have enough time to complete.
The list of things I don't know far exceeds the list that I do.

But recognizing what one does not know is the basis for rational inquiry.

Unfortunately, we run across a lot of people that believe they know lots of things until it becomes obvious under scrutiny that they do not know that much, despite their insistence to the contrary.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I like the names of some of the Australian communities.

Names like Toowoomba, Wagga Wagga, Warrnambool, Nimmitabel and Murwillumbah to name but a few, all seem interesting to me.

I used to get cotton plant samples from research fields in Goondiwindi, Toowoomba, Moree and Narrabri.

Seems like they are the result of a vowel movement so to speak.

I grew up on a dairy farm in a little place called Wallalong. Woolloomooloo is another good one. But my favourite of all time is Goonoo Goonoo which is pronounced Gunyah Goonoo, my wife still thinks I'm pulling her leg about that.

Anyway I don't have to take this from a country that pronounces Mary land as Marry land.

YoursTrue

You think "I don't know how" means a God did it? Show me your evidence that a God did it and I will look at it.
No not necessarily meaning I think God yes God put the mechanics in to be passed on. I won't go any further with this now but that's what I think.

YoursTrue

I was thinking of responding with a list of things I don't know but I'm 62 and don't have enough time to complete.

New Heart English Bible Isaiah 40:28
"And now, haven't you known? Haven't you heard? The everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the farthest parts of the earth, doesn't faint. He isn't weary. His understanding is unsearchable."
No matter how long we live we'll never know everything. Isn't that great? I think so for several reasons.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
No not necessarily meaning I think God yes God put the mechanics in to be passed on. I won't go any further with this now but that's what I think.

Of course you won't, you never do yet you demand "proofs" from everyone else. I've met hundreds of people like you throughout my life "I'm right and you must believe me".

YoursTrue

Of course you won't, you never do yet you demand "proofs" from everyone else. I've met hundreds of people like you throughout my life "I'm right and you must believe me".
It's actually ok. I am not asking you to believe me at all. There are things I cannot explain and as far as I am concerned I will wait for an explanation.