• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death penalty: Are you for or against it?

Are you for or against the death penalty?

• Total voters

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
I care about implementing a justice system because I think that if people don't do it, it won't happen. This justification doesn't apply in most Christian belief systems.

But if the punishment you would hand out is deserved, then God will take care of it if you don't. If it won't happen without you, then God can't be relied upon to do it... which would imply that the punishment is unjust... no?

Regardless of when and by whom, the fact remains that proven criminals who are determined to be worthy of punishment will be justly repaid.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Regardless of when and by whom, the fact remains that proven criminals who are determined to be worthy of punishment will be justly repaid.
... whether or not any human being makes it happen. The only exceptions are those who are unjustly punished by human beings.

In the Christian context, the death penalty is ONLY a matter of unjustly executing the innocent. If we assume Christian beliefs are true, that's the only difference between the two options. If you don't execute anyone, God will still see to it that every deserving person is punished, so the only people who have a different outcome are those who wouldn't be punished by God.

If you can point out the flaw in my reasoning, I'd like to hear it.

Sundance

Premium Member
... whether or not any human being makes it happen. The only exceptions are those who are unjustly punished by human beings.

In the Christian context, the death penalty is ONLY a matter of unjustly executing the innocent. If we assume Christian beliefs are true, that's the only difference between the two options. If you don't execute anyone, God will still see to it that every deserving person is punished, so the only people who have a different outcome are those who wouldn't be punished by God.

If you can point out the flaw in my reasoning, I'd like to hear it.

Can you provide an instance of this?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

Which is why the puzzling question remains.
If people believe in divine justice, why are they so inclined to pull the trigger themselves?
Why are Christians so hot to kill? Even when their top spiritual leaders are firmly, publicly, and unambiguously opposed to the notion?
Tom

Sundance

Premium Member
Which is why the puzzling question remains.
If people believe in divine justice, why are they so inclined to pull the trigger themselves?
Why are Christians so hot to kill? Even when their top spiritual leaders are firmly, publicly, and unambiguously opposed to the notion?
Tom

Many of us also believe in pursuing natural justice. Those who choose not to repent for what they have done wrong, for the same, there will be no mercy.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Many of us also believe in pursuing natural justice.
What is natural about vengeance?
You can find homosexual behavior in animals, but you cannot find vengeance. "An eye for an eye", is a purely human invention.

Those who choose not to repent for what they have done wrong, for the same, there will be no mercy.
How can you say what someone will do in the future? Christian execution is designed to prevent repentance by sending people you hate off to their eternal reward before God has deemed appropriate.
Tom

Sundance

Premium Member
What is natural about vengeance?
You can find homosexual behavior in animals, but you cannot find vengeance. "An eye for an eye", is a purely human invention.

That is because there is no such things as the legal system and the concepts of justice and mercy among non-human species. To suggest such a thing is ridiculous, don't you think, columbus?

How can you say what someone will do in the future? Christian execution is designed to prevent repentance by sending people you hate off to their eternal reward before God has deemed appropriate.
Tom

Where in the world did you get something like that? First and foremost, ‘Christian' execution does not exist. I didn't know that execution had a particular religion. Second, although in the OT, some sins were indeed considered worthy of execution, with the coming of Christ Jesus, His death and glorious resurrection, God offered the way out of not only the physical death but also the spiritual death of Hell. Also, in the natural judiciary system, why do you think there is a lengthy period of time between initial sentencing and final sentencing or execution? I can think of two. Just in case new evidence is found which serves to exonerate the convicted, in which case, the accused is deemed innocent. Or, in the case of not, the convicted is able to come to terms with what he or she has done and maybe, just maybe, experience remorse. Even then, when the sentence is final.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That is because there is no such things as the legal system and the concepts of justice and mercy among non-human species. To suggest such a thing is ridiculous, don't you think, columbus?

You are the one who referred to "natural" justice. I see nothing like justice in the non human world. Why don't you explain what you mean so we can discuss

"Also, in the natural judiciary system, why do you think there is a lengthy period of time between initial sentencing and final sentencing or execution? "
Because as far as I can tell only the USA generally spends so much time.
Tom

Sundance

Premium Member
You are the one who referred to "natural" justice. I see nothing like justice in the non human world. Why don't you explain what you mean so we can discuss

"Also, in the natural judiciary system, why do you think there is a lengthy period of time between initial sentencing and final sentencing or execution? "
Because as far as I can tell only the USA generally spends so much time.
Tom

Forgive me, dear Tom, I mean “human" justice in place of ‘natural'.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Forgive me, dear Tom, I mean “human" justice in place of ‘natural'.
Back in the really old days, justice was a function of escalation.
If Joe punched Bob, Bob cut Joe. Since Bob cut Joe, Joe burned Bob's house. So Bob put out Joe's eye. So Joe killed one of bobs kids. So Bob killed joes family. So .....

Moses improved morality with "an eye for an eye, then it's over". This was more sophisticated than the old way.
Then Jesus Christ came along with "turn the other cheek". Yet another improvement to "human justice". It is about trying to end the cycle of violence, not just contain it.
I see Jesus' Message on this subject as quite important. I'm surprised when Christians don't.
Tom

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'd like to try to understand what you're saying...
I think I explained myself clearly enough. I'm not sure that it would make things clearer to pretend that I know the mind of the Christian god to the point where I could tell you what he would have in mind for any particular person.

Short version:
- do you think humanity's judgement is imperfect?
- do you think that God's judgement is perfect?

If your answer is "yes" to both of those questions, then the implication is that having humans carry out justice instead of God will not make the outcome better and can only make it worse.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If Joe punched Bob, Bob cut Joe. Since Bob cut Joe, Joe burned Bob's house. So Bob put out Joe's eye. So Joe killed one of bobs kids. So Bob killed joes family. So .....

Moses improved morality with "an eye for an eye, then it's over". This was more sophisticated than the old way.
Then Jesus Christ came along with "turn the other cheek". Yet another improvement to "human justice". It is about trying to end the cycle of violence, not just contain it.
I see Jesus' Message on this subject as quite important. I'm surprised when Christians don't.
Tom
Jesus did not invent the idea of setting aside vengeance and settling disputes according to law.

Sundance

Premium Member

Tom

Jesus is also recorded as having said to the woman who committed adultery, who deserved to be stoned, “go and sin no more".

Sundance

Premium Member
I think I explained myself clearly enough. I'm not sure that it would make things clearer to pretend that I know the mind of the Christian god to the point where I could tell you what he would have in mind for any particular person.

Short version:
- do you think humanity's judgement is imperfect?
- do you think that God's judgement is perfect?

If your answer is "yes" to both of those questions, then the implication is that having humans carry out justice instead of God will not make the outcome better and can only make it worse.

Not exactly, especially considering the question from whom each set of laws originates. Concerning divine laws (those laws given in the Holy Scriptures by God), they have a divine source. Resultingly, God (or at least His Son, Christ Jesus) is the judge. Human laws are created by human beings, and as such require human beings to administer judgment as fits.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Jesus is also recorded as having said to the woman who committed adultery, who deserved to be stoned, “go and sin no more".
In other words, He told the crowd "Forget human justice" and then told her to repent.
He actively opposed your form of justice.
Tom