• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Demons, is there any evidence they even exist?

F1fan

Veteran Member
It's my belief that no one—not me, you, or anyone else—can empirically or independently demonstrate whether God or any deities are real or not. No human being has ever searched across all of space and time to give verifiable and empirical proof for the existence of deities since human beings lack omniscience, omnipotence, and the capacity to exist everywhere at once. In my opinion, we—meaning you, me, and everyone else (including Christians) make decisions on whether or not to believe in God, in other gods, or in anything else supernatural based on the limited knowledge that we have. I also believe that any claims made by Christians that "God saved me and changed my life" or "I sense God's hand in my life, so I know he is real" are anecdotal evidence and don't meet the criteria for empirical and verifiable proof, just as my belief in multiple deities is only supported by anecdotal evidence and doesn't satisfy the criteria for empirical and verifiable evidence either. I believe in many different deities, while Christians choose to believe in one God.

As a Wiccan and polytheist, I believe in multiple deities, but I know that I cannot provide sufficient empirical and verifiable evidence of their existence. By the same token, I can't provide empirical and verifiable evidence that the God of the Bible doesn't exist, just as, when I was a Christian, I couldn't provide empirical and verifiable evidence that he exists. And this is why I am an agnostic, not an atheist, when it comes to the existence of God. To be honest, I can't say with certainty that I know that any deities exist or don't exist because I'm not all-knowing and all-powerful, and I can't transcend time and be in all places at once to prove or disprove the existence of deities. I wouldn't be honest with myself or with others if I said that there aren't any gods that exist.

In my opinion, if God doesn't exist, then my sincere belief and devout faith as a Christian were in vain, and I prayed to thin air. However, if God does in fact exist, then as far as I'm concerned, he is a cold-blooded, sadistic, insane, genocidal, and abhorrent monster—exactly the antithesis of what Christians claim he is and believe about him (loving, just, merciful, and a "heavenly father"). I believe that if God is real, then he obviously doesn't give a damn about me or think I'm worth the trouble of saving because he allowed me to suffer many years of abuse, neglect, mistreatment, and bullying while I was growing up or helped me cope with the PTSD and trauma that I've dealt with for more than 30 years as an adult. If God exists, he can go to hell, as far as I'm concerned.
We all have our stories. I was surrounded by Christians growing up, and my grandma made us go to church. I didn;t like it. I kept asking why we went, and what the purpose was. I got the usual answers and it just didn't seem to make any sense. I was 8/9/10 and watched my Catholic cousins not get along with my super conservative Southern Baptist cousins. We were all nice to each other, but you could see the conflict and feel it. My grandma was presbyterian so caught in the middle. None of it added up. This was supposed to be a religion about love, and love thy neighbor, yet the familiy is splintered over it? It all left a bad taste in my mouth, it was fishy. Over the years there were more incidents. One event happened in high school when a school and church mate of one of my Baptist cousins tracked me down one night in total despair. I didn;t know her that well, but she had no one else to turn to. She was trying to get a Bible study among students at high school before class, and for some reason she was denied. Oddly she was called a trouble maker by my aunt, so something else was going on. I thought there was something seriously wrong with Christianity that a member of a church had to turn to an atheist for support, and that was because I had no conditions due to beliefs.

That is similar to your story. I looked into theology, philosohy, and genuinely looked for answers. What I founds were hundreds of answers that were up to the individual to decide is true. What? That isn't truth. I was looking for truth that conforms to what we can really understand about things, and I really was indifferent to religions and other types of "meaning in a box". So my own philosophy was to strip it all down to the minimum. That led to me more Eastern approach, including Krishnamurti. Everyone has their own needs to who they are, for better or worse. So one thing I did was be very strict about what truth is and isn't. So if someone makes a general claim that demons exist, and can't show me any evidence as to why a smart and wise person would agree with them, then it is rejected on principle. It's the logical default to not accept claims just because it is made. There has to be a basis for agreement. Some want a truth that has some emotional significance, so that will drive the way they think. I have some of that but less than average folks. My truth has to be truthful, and that means demonstrable to some degree. I'm not 100% convinced ghosts exist as my exverience is limited to the ghost hunter shows. They have offered some very interesting evidence, so I'm convinced something is going on. What it is I have no idea. My guess is that it is tied to electricity in some way. I'd like to see more study.

As far as gods I think they work best as symbolisms, just as I do Christian doctrine should be symbolic, not literal. I think this approach would cause less inner conflict that is apparent in many believers.

We all have our stories. I was surrounded by Christians growing up, and my grandma made us go to church. I didn;t like it. I kept asking why we went, and what the purpose was. I got the usual answers and it just didn't seem to make any sense. I was 8/9/10 and watched my Catholic cousins not get along with my super conservative Southern Baptist cousins. We were all nice to each other, but you could see the conflict and feel it. My grandma was presbyterian so caught in the middle. None of it added up. This was supposed to be a religion about love, and love thy neighbor, yet the familiy is splintered over it? It all left a bad taste in my mouth, it was fishy. Over the years there were more incidents. One event happened in high school when a school and church mate of one of my Baptist cousins tracked me down one night in total despair. I didn;t know her that well, but she had no one else to turn to. She was trying to get a Bible study among students at high school before class, and for some reason she was denied. Oddly she was called a trouble maker by my aunt, so something else was going on. I thought there was something seriously wrong with Christianity that a member of a church had to turn to an atheist for support, and that was because I had no conditions due to beliefs.

That is similar to your story. I looked into theology, philosohy, and genuinely looked for answers. What I founds were hundreds of answers that were up to the individual to decide is true. What? That isn't truth. I was looking for truth that conforms to what we can really understand about things, and I really was indifferent to religions and other types of "meaning in a box". So my own philosophy was to strip it all down to the minimum. That led to me more Eastern approach, including Krishnamurti. Everyone has their own needs to who they are, for better or worse. So one thing I did was be very strict about what truth is and isn't. So if someone makes a general claim that demons exist, and can't show me any evidence as to why a smart and wise person would agree with them, then it is rejected on principle. It's the logical default to not accept claims just because it is made. There has to be a basis for agreement. Some want a truth that has some emotional significance, so that will drive the way they think. I have some of that but less than average folks. My truth has to be truthful, and that means demonstrable to some degree. I'm not 100% convinced ghosts exist as my exverience is limited to the ghost hunter shows. They have offered some very interesting evidence, so I'm convinced something is going on. What it is I have no idea. My guess is that it is tied to electricity in some way. I'd like to see more study.

As far as gods I think they work best as symbolisms, just as I do Christian doctrine should be symbolic, not literal. I think this approach would cause less inner conflict that is apparent in many believers.
A lot of church going people believe they are right with God but aren’t born again and devoid of the Holy Spirit. A lot of churches like the Catholic Church have false teaching, idol worship and are devoid of the Spirit. If someone hasn’t been born again no matter how much they enter a building they aren’t saved and still in their sins. I would think this would be a cause for inner conflict.
I can tell you, once you are saved, delivered and born again there is no more inner conflict, just a fire inside of you and a hunger for God and living a holy life, desire to set other people free and see them receive eternal life as well.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
A lot of church going people believe they are right with God but aren’t born again and devoid of the Holy Spirit.
What kind of church going people are these? Any Christian will be saved just for their simple and mere belief in Jesus. Now if you think there is more that is required then explain that to us.

A lot of churches like the Catholic Church have false teaching, idol worship and are devoid of the Spirit.
Not according to Catholics, who were the ONLY Christianity for some 1200 years until Martin Luther had a few complaints. What makes Luther correct just because he was dissatisfied? To be honest we don;t see a whole lot of Jesus in most forms of Christianity, nor Christians.

Do you think you have it all right? Not many Christians think they are wrong either.

If someone hasn’t been born again no matter how much they enter a building they aren’t saved and still in their sins. I would think this would be a cause for inner conflict.
And who decides if you are born again or not? You are being vague and implying some how above your fellow Christians. Some might call that a liability in a spiritual sense.
I can tell you, once you are saved, delivered and born again there is no more inner conflict, just a fire inside of you and a hunger for God and living a holy life, desire to set other people free and see them receive eternal life as well.
That sounds self-serving and delusional. How is what you assert here different than a Christian just deciding all this is how it is, but still be a jerk to others?

What kind of church going people are these? Any Christian will be saved just for their simple and mere belief in Jesus. Now if you think there is more that is required then explain that to us.

Not according to Catholics, who were the ONLY Christianity for some 1200 years until Martin Luther had a few complaints. What makes Luther correct just because he was dissatisfied? To be honest we don;t see a whole lot of Jesus in most forms of Christianity, nor Christians.

Do you think you have it all right? Not many Christians think they are wrong either.

And who decides if you are born again or not? You are being vague and implying some how above your fellow Christians. Some might call that a liability in a spiritual sense.

That sounds self-serving and delusional. How is what you assert here different than a Christian just deciding all this is how it is, but still be a jerk to others?
The Word of God explains how to test if a person, teaching or church is walking in the Spirit, the flesh or operating out of a demonic spirit. That’s why the Bible says to test the spirits.
I’ve been born again and the Holy Spirit lives in me, He is my teacher, He doesn’t contradict the Word of God but confirms the Scriptures, He is the one who shows the truth from the false.
Are you calling people jerks now?
Weren’t you the one judging believers because they happen to go to a building assuming because a person goes to a meeting, or signs a card they are automatically born again?
You don’t see a whole lot of Jesus in most Christianity and with that we agree because most so called Christianity is just strange fire and a show. I don’t want fake, I’m going for dying to myself and being filled with the Holy Spirit where I live in the secret place of the Most High because in His presence is fullness of joy.
This world and the supposed pleasures are also fake and a lie. In the presence of God everything becomes clear.

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

Yes, we all have stories to tell. My Christian exodus is a long and complicated story because it took me thirty years to finally admit to myself that I was either believing in a sadistic and psychotic God who obviously doesn't care about me or in a God who doesn't even exist. I consider myself to be the perfect example of how deeply a religion can brainwash and entrap a person. My belief and faith in God were deeply embedded in my psyche, and it was nearly impossible for me to renounce them. My emotional dependence on God is analogous to being locked in a prison cell, except that the door to my cell was always open, and I never realized that I could leave whenever I wanted. Being a devout Christian was detrimental to my emotional, mental, and physical health, and giving up my belief and faith in God was the best decision I've ever made for myself. To be honest, it was difficult for me to even question God, the Bible, and what I believed as a Christian because I had grown up in the church and had been taught to believe in God regardless of the circumstances. I had been taught that the Bible is "God's word" and that I should never question its authority or accuracy. Additionally, other Christians shamed me when I dared to question God in any way. So, I quickly learned to keep my personal doubts and questions to myself while I was growing up.

Unfortunately, this mentality stuck with me for much of my adult life, and I was a devout Christian for thirty years. I always felt shame and guilt whenever I questioned God, so I pushed my doubts to the back of my mind and tried to ignore them. I lived with the nagging feeling that I was ignoring my doubts, and that made me feel sad and confused. I finally got to a mental breaking point two years ago, when I decided that I wasn't going to ignore my doubts anymore. I decided I was going to face them, come what may, and so I did. I began to examine and re-examine everything that I believed about God, the Bible, and everything else I believed as a Christian. After I left Christianity, I reread the Bible carefully and researched its accuracy. I concluded that if a man named Yehoshua (i.e., Yeshua, Jesus) lived during biblical times, he was probably just an ordinary man and a popular religious teacher, and his followers made up a few lavish stories about him, copied and changed some Greek myths, and gave him godlike qualities. These embellished stories and godlike myths about him spread to other parts of the world, where even more people believed them. In my opinion, various Christian leaders debated and altered a few of the stories about Jesus to suit the ideologies of various groups, such as pagans. I believe that paganism had a significant influence on the stories about Jesus, the Bible, and Christianity as a whole. I do not believe that Christianity is unique in its beliefs or that it is the only true religion in the world.

There is no doubt in my mind that giving up my devout faith in God and letting go of all the guilt and shame that came with 'disobeying' him was the best decision I've ever made for my mental health. The truth is that I wasted thirty years of my life believing that God is loving and merciful and that he loves me. I now realize that I foolishly held on to this false hope throughout the many years I was abused as a child and teenager and as an adult, dealing with chronic depression and anxiety attacks caused by PTSD. I feel very foolish when I think about all the years I wasted desperately clinging to my faith in God.

I don't regret my decision, but I wish I had made it years ago because it would have saved me years of depression. If my personal exodus from Christianity has taught me anything, it's to be sympathetic and not judgmental of someone who is trapped in a religious cult and can't see the forest for the trees. It took me a long time to realize that I don't need to believe in God to do what's right, and I don't need to feel guilty because I do something that the Bible considers sinful. I'm no longer worried about going to hell or facing God's judgment. I've finally let go of the fear tactics of Christianity. I no longer accept the fear, shame, and guilt that Christianity instills in its followers. Penn Jillette hit the nail on the head when he suggested that people don't need God to do what's right, and I couldn't agree more (read his quote here). I have hope, joy, peace, and contentment in my life now, but only because I rejected my Christian faith and God. However, to emotionally heal and finally find hope, joy, peace, and contentment in my life, I had to let go of my belief, hope, and trust in God. I can assure you that it was difficult at first because I had to clear my mind of all the Christian indoctrination I had received throughout my life, but the emotional anguish I went through while trying to free myself was well worth it. I've learned to keep my spiritual beliefs at bay and not allow them to take over my life the way my Christian faith did for the majority of my life. After abandoning my Christian faith, I eventually realized that I don't need God or any other deities in my life to feel peace, joy, and contentment. I've learned to stand on my own two feet, and I no longer feel the need to rely on a deity to help me get through difficult times, control how I act, or dictate the decisions I make. I no longer need religion as an emotional crutch.

Being a Wiccan has been very liberating, and unlike when I was a Christian, I no longer feel any fear, guilt, or shame hanging over my head. The negativity I encountered as a devout Christian eventually led me to Wicca and, later, polytheism, and being a Wiccan has been a very positive experience for me. I'm drawn to Wicca because of the Wiccan Rede, the different gods, the respect for nature, and the fact that Wicca is open about death and the afterlife. I think that learning about other deities has been fascinating, and I feel liberated after being restricted to only one God as a Christian. As a Wiccan, I don't have to worship a certain god or goddess, and I don't have to be morally good all the time to appease a vengeful and jealous God who threatens to send me to hell for all of eternity if I don't follow his strict rules. As far as I'm concerned, I don't need to believe in any deities to live a moral life and make the right choices. I've proven to myself that I can stand on my own without genuinely believing in a deity. And speaking as a former Christian, I believe that it is vitally important for people to learn to stand on their own and care for themselves without overly relying on religious beliefs or a deity to heal them or protect them from harm. In my opinion, the sooner a person learns this, the better their mental health and personal life will be once they learn to care for themselves. It proved true for me, so I believe that it's possible for others once they are free of the indoctrination they've been subjected to in their lives.

According to the Bible any person that isn’t born again is under the influence of Satan or the demonic realm, the spirit that works in the sons of disobedience, Jesus came to set the captives free! This has been my experience, God delivered me when I called out to Him and I will praise and honor Him forever, join with Him setting the captives free! Nothing better for me than seeing people receive eternal life through Jesus Christ, eternal destiny can be changed in a minute! What a Mighty God !

“And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others. But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭2‬:‭1‬-‭8‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

I’ve walked passed Satan in human form but getting doubters to believe me is naturally an uphill struggle. Not to worry.

Regardless, if natural evil and demons are not the cause of illness in this fallen world why don’t we humans live nearer to an average age of a thousand years instead of much younger?
Because your pre-human ancestors couldn’t live that long.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
That's literally no one.
Scientists do it all the time. And people who care about believing in true things and not believing in false things. That's what I've been trying to explain to you this whole time. There are ways to actually demonstrate the veracity of your claims to others. But the scientific method seems to be a completely foreign concept to you.

F1fan

Veteran Member
The Word of God explains how to test if a person, teaching or church is walking in the Spirit, the flesh or operating out of a demonic spirit. That’s why the Bible says to test the spirits.
Really? Where is tis test, and let's examine it for objectivity and a necessity for facts and data. If the test is just "feelings" then it is subjective and unreliable, and at the whims of whomever.
I’ve been born again and the Holy Spirit lives in me, He is my teacher, He doesn’t contradict the Word of God but confirms the Scriptures, He is the one who shows the truth from the false.
What is being "born again" in real terms? Is it an actual, objective state, or something you adot from your fellow believers and then mimic? Take a break from being vague and go into detail.

Are you calling people jerks now?
Is it a problem that some people are observed being jerks, including those who believe they are saved, born again, and spiritual? It is the Bible that calls all humans "worthless rags", yes?
Weren’t you the one judging believers because they happen to go to a building assuming because a person goes to a meeting, or signs a card they are automatically born again?
I have no problem admitting that we humans judge. I make judgments, you make judgments, we have to. We have to make judgment to navigate life. What I don't do is judge people prejudicially (like are they non-Christian, gay, atheist, etc.), which is what Jesus was referring to.

What I am doing is debating religious ideas, and I feel free to question any claim a believer makes. If the believer is correct then are invited to demonstrate their beliefs are true, or at least likely true in reality. I have no interest in belief through faith because that is a non-rational thinking process that requires certain assumvtions being made, even if not warranted. You have a bad habit of being exceptionally vague. You respond to questions, but they are superficial and tend to open the door to more questions.
You don’t see a whole lot of Jesus in most Christianity and with that we agree because most so called Christianity is just strange fire and a show.
No argument here. I don't see much Jesus in your posts either. I see the same sort of conservative absolutism that has no basis in fact or reasoning. That is typical of religion, but believers should be aware of this as they contribute in open debate forums. You don't overtly claim to be superior in your Christian belief, but you certainly imply it. That is passive judgment, and you don't seem aware of it.

I don’t want fake, I’m going for dying to myself and being filled with the Holy Spirit where I live in the secret place of the Most High because in His presence is fullness of joy.
If you want fullness why be absorbed in religious illusions? Could it be you are very fearful of death and are clinging to a dogma that promises immortality?
This world and the supposed pleasures are also fake and a lie. In the presence of God everything becomes clear.
This has no basis in fact or reason or observation. It is an ironic statement to be living in this world and claiming it is fake. Do you really think you live elsewhere? I have seen statements like this before and it suggests to me people who have a difficult time living life without a religious filter. The question is why others can live without such filters but you are unable to.

F1fan

Veteran Member
According to the Bible any person that isn’t born again is under the influence of Satan or the demonic realm, the spirit that works in the sons of disobedience, Jesus came to set the captives free! This has been my experience, God delivered me when I called out to Him and I will praise and honor Him forever, join with Him setting the captives free! Nothing better for me than seeing people receive eternal life through Jesus Christ, eternal destiny can be changed in a minute! What a Mighty God !
Not exactly Christ-likje comments. So what you seem to be implying is that any Christian who believes they are correct in their belief can condemn any other Christian who disagrees. How can you truly know that any Christian who doesn;t agree with you must be under the influence of Satan? How do you know it isn't you, and I ask because you are judging your fellow Christians prejudicially.

Couldn't it be that when you called out for God that Satan answered and deceived you? Of course you will say no, but Satan is clever and according to you succeeds in deceiving many believers. Remember, God often ignores the pleas of parents who children are dying. Could God ignore you too?

Not exactly Christ-likje comments. So what you seem to be implying is that any Christian who believes they are correct in their belief can condemn any other Christian who disagrees. How can you truly know that any Christian who doesn;t agree with you must be under the influence of Satan? How do you know it isn't you, and I ask because you are judging your fellow Christians prejudicially.

Couldn't it be that when you called out for God that Satan answered and deceived you? Of course you will say no, but Satan is clever and according to you succeeds in deceiving many believers. Remember, God often ignores the pleas of parents who children are dying. Could God ignore you too?
Again, the Word of God is the authority and judges people, He calls us to test the spirits according to the Word of God.
Why are you insinuating someone is condemning anyone when they point out what the Bible says on this subject?
I come to God the Father, through Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit. Satan is the one who is the author of doubt, so I can also tell by what spirit someone is operating out of by their questions and comments.

What is being "born again" in real terms? Is it an actual, objective state, or something you adot from your fellow believers and then mimic? Take a break from being vague and go into detail.
Have you ever read the Bible, do you understand it? I was assuming you did but it sounds like you don’t. But I did post Ephesians 2 which does explain that some

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Again, the Word of God is the authority and judges people, He calls us to test the spirits according to the Word of God.
Who says? How can we verify this? Which God?
Why are you insinuating someone is condemning anyone when they point out what the Bible says on this subject?
I come to God the Father, through Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit. Satan is the one who is the author of doubt, so I can also tell by what spirit someone is operating out of by their questions and comments.

F1fan

Veteran Member
The Bible doesn't judge anyone, it is a book. We humans do judge people, including you. You are using the Bible as window dressing to judge your fellow Christians.

The Bible has an "authority" in diverse ways to diverse sects of Christians. There is no set doctrine that applies to all Christians, and there is a huge diversity of interpretation, and you have your own version. Other Christians will not acknowledge what you believe as true or authoritative. How does that make you feel? Do you feel like condemning them as being influenced by Satan?
Because you have your own way of interpreting the Bible just as other Christians do. these is no God coming forth settling the disagreements, so all you are left with is your own judgment and belief, and it has no more authority than a Catholic's interpretation. Do you accept this?
This is what you recite to yourself so your belief is reinforced. This has no factual basis. What you believe has no authority beyond your mind. Do you accept this?
Have you ever read the Bible, do you understand it? I was assuming you did but it sounds like you don’t. But I did post Ephesians 2 which does explain that some
I have read many parts of the Bible, and I understand it through the historical facts of HOW it was written, and HOW it was edited and created over the millennia. My understanding is fact-based, not faith-based. Your interpretation is very much self-serving to what you want to believe.

This is what you recite to yourself so your belief is reinforced. This has no factual basis. What you believe has no authority beyond your mind. Do you accept this?
“For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭2‬:‭18‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

For you and the others asking for answers, we are talking about people who claim to be (Christians).
For a Christian the authority is The Word of God, if a person doesn’t accept that then they aren’t a Christian.
When the Bible says not to worship any other God, that there is one mediator between God and man that is Christ Jesus. When the Bible shows that Joseph had marital relations with Mary after Jesus was born and had children. Then when the Catholic Church teaches otherwise with praying to saints, praying the rosary and to Mary then they are false teachers, teaching doctrines of demons.