• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designing a New Religion

I can and will! .... Fine, you've twisted my arm. :D

It's not complete, but if an ignoramous looked at what I've got, they'd probably think it's a real religion. :)

These are the "ten creeds". :D

1. Monotheism - Jesus
  2. Prophethoods - Jesus
  3. Siblinghood of humans - Jesus
  4. Spiritual Beings - Jesus
  5. Last Day - Revelations
  6. Traditions - Christmas + Easter
  7. Holy Book - Bible
  8. Prayer - Christian Prayer
  9. Evangelism - JW
  10. Struggles - Jesus

An additional one, which does not conform to an article of faith, but nonetheless is called "the hidden creed" is:​

1. Cleanliness

I've got dietary restrictions and everything. It's not completely developed yet though. :) I need pictures. Currently it's only for entertainment purpose, and pictures I have are all off net, seriously infringing copyright laws. :D

let me fix that...
That is what the normal man thinks religion is. And it ****** me of.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
That is simply religion for most.
Haha, yeah. I thought, "I want to design a religion that seems realistic, from a long time ago, that you can imagine people arguing as they get into their car early in the morning on a winter, with the mother shouting hurry up and the kids complaining they're tired and the father's lost his car keys". And by God, I made it. :D

Myself, I prefer things a bit more... liberal. :D Spiritual. :)

Haha, yeah. I thought, "I want to design a religion that seems realistic, from a long time ago, that you can imagine people arguing as they get into their car early in the morning on a winter, with the mother shouting hurry up and the kids complaining they're tired and the father's lost his car keys". And by God, I made it. :D

Myself, I prefer things a bit more... liberal. :D Spiritual. :)
THat is why i am Hindu... Liberating, free, flexible... No set rules at all. Focuses on spirituuality and philospophy.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
THat is why i am Hindu... Liberating, free, flexible... No set rules at all. Focuses on spirituuality and philospophy.
Good choice. :D I'm seriously considering Hinduism myself.

I started developing this, basically, because I've had writers block for so long. I've had no inspiration for writing for the longest time. (Blame the wife. :D) - so I decided I'd spend some time constructing things to get rid of it. Religions, countries, characters. :) Only this one kind of became my favourite of the religions, so I wrote more than a paragraph on it. :D

Good choice. :D I'm seriously considering Hinduism myself.

I started developing this, basically, because I've had writers block for so long. I've had no inspiration for writing for the longest time. (Blame the wife. :D) - so I decided I'd spend some time constructing things to get rid of it. Religions, countries, characters. :) Only this one kind of became my favourite of the religions, so I wrote more than a paragraph on it. :D
Well, you know where to come for anything... :)

Troublemane

Very interesting Odion! Sounds like you have simplified all the worlds religions down to a few basic principles, thats awesome!

However.....Have you prepared for what you'll say when God comes around to check on your progress? :angel2:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
If you were charged by God, the Universe, the people, the Illuminati or who/whatever to design a new religion for the whole Earth and all of mankind taking into account modern scientific knowledge and comparative religious study what would your new religion look like?

Shucks, hope this doesn't sound too immodest God, Universe, people, Illuminati, et al, but since I'm the one you chose by unanimous consent,.. it would follow that it would be all about Me! :eek:

Elessar

If I were to design my own universal religion, without any thoughts as to my actual beliefs...hmm...

1. There would be one, universal G-d, who reveals himself (male form used only for convenience) in many ways. To think of this one G-d as being a single unity or as having a variety of different sub-deities or different aspects or forms would be acceptable, whatever he had led each person to believe. People would even be free to see G-d as simply nature, or the natural universe in general. The only absolute creed would be "Love your neighbor as yourself." Honesty would also be highly respected, with a serious lie being one of the worst sins.

2. The most important ritual would be the giving of a specific amount, perhaps a tithe, 10% of all that one is blessed with, to be given into a storehouse, to be cared for by trustworthy people in society, which is to be used to help those who are in need.

Otherwise, rituals would include voluntary "communions with G-d", in which people communed with G-d in different ways (serving food in a soup kitchen, planting trees and helping the environment, silent meditation, reflections on philosophy and words of G-d, and so on).

Also, there would be official rituals marking birth, coming of age, marriage and death.

Monastic communities would be allowed, for those led to do so, for various purposes - to care for the planet, to focus on studying and translating the various words of G-d, to dedicate themselves to science, and so on.

Anyone would be able to be a "Shepherd" or "Shepherdess", as I would call my organized clergy, who would be educated in various philosophies, religions, liberal arts, sciences, mathematics, and so on. There would be no "heresy" except the rejection of the one universal creed, to love your neighbor as yourself.

3. Marriage would be universal, without any restrictions as long as there was consent between two or more sapient beings to marry. A marriage could be contracted by any shepherd, though divorce would be difficult.

4. I would say no universal religious articles, though people are free to use whatever they like as one if they so desire.

5. No explicit dietary restrictions, except those each person decides to follow. Gluttony would be discouraged, i.e., overeating, since the food you've consumed that you didn't need could have been used to feed someone who needed it.

6. Also, critical, though there is no category in OP for it, would be an internal arbitration system, wherein shepherds would act as judges in disputes between religion-members, and, if necessary, a board of shepherds, each of them educated in different areas of ethics, morality and justice, to arbitrate between members, and to grant divorces based on individual situations (i.e., abusive spouse case would be allowed an automatic divorce for the abused, but in most other situations, the marriage being kept together if at all possible would be the goal of the court).

Also, though not necessarily a part of the religion, the traditions of one's ancestors would be important. Jews, for example, would be encouraged to keep the kosher laws and sabbath. Catholics would be encouraged to continue confession, and communion. Of course, not required - never required - but to respect these older traditions would be considered critical.

dgray

Baha'is believe that Baha'u'llah is the Promised One of all ages. He taught that "should the greatness of this Day be revealed in its fullness, every man would forsake a myriad lives in his longing to partake, though it be for one moment, of its great glory." Information about His life is available at bahaullah.org.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend TealLeaf,

what would your new religion look like?

No religion as religions had there run.

It is now only- do things religiously.
Whatever one does, do so religiously with awareness.
Rest will take care of itself.

Love & rgds

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Very interesting Odion! Sounds like you have simplified all the worlds religions down to a few basic principles, thats awesome!

However.....Have you prepared for what you'll say when God comes around to check on your progress? :angel2:
Um... "Help out, will ya?" :D

I have simplified them down, but I've kept things like traditions and clothing and wotnot. Combine Muslim clothing with Sikh religious objects, and you've got something similar. However, since I don't have any skill AT ALL with drawing, I haven't drawn anything, and have used copyright infringements galore. Though it's all on computer, so it's ok. :D

I've added many coming of age ceremonies, because what someone once said to me at a church made me go "whoa". "After baptism, you've got confirmation. After confirmation you've either got marriage, or nothin'. Sucks."

S-word

Considering that all major religions predict the end of an era and the coming of a new prophet and further considering that we are fast approaching the ultimate carrying capacity of the Earth it seems reasonable to me that a major new religion or philosophy could very well be on the horizon.

If you were charged by God, the Universe, the people, the Illuminati or who/whatever to design a new religion for the whole Earth and all of mankind taking into account modern scientific knowledge and comparative religious study what would your new religion look like?

Would your religion have one God, many Gods or no God at all?

And what about rituals and institutions? Would there baptism, monastic communities, etc.? Should there be priests or religious professionals?

And what about things like marriage? Same sex marriage? Polygamy? Monogamy?

Should there be any religious articles such as rosaries, the Mormon's undergarments, the Sikh's combs and daggers?

Any dietary restrictions?

I have some ideas myself that draw from Buddhism, Christianity, Mormonism and Sikhism among others but I get fuzzy when it comes to how to draw lines around God and the Universe.

The people of my religion would come to the clearer understanding of God, by studying the visible universe which is the visible representation of the invisible mind that is God, and no man, male man or female man, would teach another about God, for every person would know their indwelling Father spirit, and will be answerable to 'Who I Am,' who is united to our very beginning by an unbroken genetic thread of eternal life, and they, knowing full well that as long as they are obedient to 'Who They Are,' who was in the beginning with God and was one with God, who have never died, and is not under the death penality, and can never die, they as he will live to the end of this period of universal activity, where this universal body (Galactic cluster) will roll up as a scroll with a great hissing noise and the elements begoming so excited will burn up and fall as massive columns of fire beyond all measure in height and depth into the Great Abyss, which is the prison of all the stars and the host of heaven, where it shall be condensed into the infinitely dense and hot infinitesimally small primordial atom which will blast out to become the resurrection of this old universal body in which they will be reincarnate in the body that their previous life has determined for them.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
there is MUCH demand of SIKH DAGGER here ,

Sikhs wish good luck to this Religion and its PROPHETs .

we are very happy to contribute ( Dagger) to this beautiful religion ,and look for more contribution !
religionsikh8.gif

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
there is MUCH demand of SIKH DAGGER here ,

Sikhs wish good luck to this Religion and its PROPHETs .

we are very happy to contribute ( Dagger) to this beautiful religion ,and look for more contribution !
religionsikh8.gif
I love it :)

TealLeaf

there is MUCH demand of SIKH DAGGER here

It doesn't have to be a Sikh dagger. Personally I would prefer to carry a Swiss Army knife. They are more versatile, less threatening, more socially acceptable and yet the lock-blade models still have a good sized blade (dagger) on them.