• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus really have to die for our sins?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Well, what is the rest? If you are claiming a further source for understanding God's nature that is not contained in the one set of scriptures you have, might as well say what it is, as being mysterious simply seems like concealment.
Tradition, reason, experience.
Uh, no, it's an accurate assessment. I have given reasons already.
You've leapt to biased conclusions. Those are hardly reasons.
the point of the story is to highlight [in this case] that God preserved his favorites; the problem is the story ALSO shows how he slaughters everyone and everything else; so it's irrelevant to what was being said at that point. Not that the point of the story is irrelevant in general...
Once again: That reflects the biases and understanding of the ancient authors. It's not fact. It's not definition. It's metaphor.
Ah, not people: God
No. People. The authors anthropomorphized God reflective of how they saw themselves. Again, not definition -- metaphor.
Because immoral people need to be pointed out in public, especially when they are putting themselves forward as moral or calling an immoral system, moral.
What system are you referring to? What is specifically immoral about that system?
being honest is part of my religion. Heathens don't break their own rules.. unlike some people I could mention
Oh, you mean misrepresenting a story, and then bashing a whole religion based upon that one biased and dishonest misrepresentation?

blackout

Violet.
Did Jesus really have to die for our sins?

I really dunno what 'jesus' has/had to do with any of you
and your 'sins',
but I wasn't free of church sins
until church jesus died out completely from my psyche.

In this way, the 'death of the christian jesus'
did indeed Set me free.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
This is an illogical take on the probable events, Jesus wasn't threatening the authority of Ceaser or Rome. Didn't you say you studied theology? From what you just wrote I have no idea where you got your ideas from.

That would be correct ....king of the Jews was a false accusation.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Tradition, reason, experience.
Hm, yes, but, whence comes that tradition? The same source: the bible. As for reason and experience, your 'experience' with God can only be anecdotal, and, as for reason, well...
You've leapt to biased conclusions. Those are hardly reasons.
These are conclusions based on evidence. That you must see them as biased is your issue. It is natural to be biased against tyranny and murder.

Once again: That reflects the biases and understanding of the ancient authors. It's not fact. It's not definition. It's metaphor.
So the Flood story isn't real?
Then why is any of the rest of it?

No. People. The authors anthropomorphized God reflective of how they saw themselves. Again, not definition -- metaphor.
I understand that you are trying to say that this is some kind of moralistic discussion of the wrongs of society at the time and yadda yadda etc.. but that isn't how anyone actually takes this tale. The tale does not present itself in that manner in any way. It presents itself as history. And an important history whose effects, God destroying everyone, are told to be repeated in the future. And while we are all aware that the Hebrew testament was crafted to have layers, the Flood story is not taught as social metaphor.

What system are you referring to? What is specifically immoral about that system?
I am not going to repeat myself further as to what about it is immoral; but the system I am speaking of, is God's entirety. But at this moment, we are discussing the immorality of God's wholesale mass murder of every living creature on the planet except for 'his favorites'. All the other blatant immorality could fill, and does fill, multiple other threads. Let's keep to just the one, for now.
Oh, you mean misrepresenting a story, and then bashing a whole religion based upon that one biased and dishonest misrepresentation?
But I have not misrepresented the story, you buffoon. I am simply pointing out the ugly details in that story, straight from it's own pages, and you simply can't stand being associated with such immorality, so you must impugn my character to cover your rightful shame. I have not misrepresented a single thing; only exposed it's ugliness to the light.

sojourner

Hm, yes, but, whence comes that tradition? The same source: the bible.
Nope.
As for reason and experience, your 'experience' with God can only be anecdotal,
Stories are at the heart of who we understand ourselves to be -- just like Heathenry.
and, as for reason, well...
Hey -- you have your gods; I have mine.
These are conclusions based on evidence.
Bad and biased "evidence" isn't evidence. It's just bias. And bad.
That you must see them as biased is your issue.
Pot...meet Kettle.
It is natural to be biased against tyranny and murder.
Case in point. Thank you.
So the Flood story isn't real?
You thought it was???
Then why is any of the rest of it?
There's "One Fish, Two Fish" and "Chilton's Manual for the 1973 Pinto." One really doesn't serve to define the other, with regard to genre.
I understand that you are trying to say that this is some kind of moralistic discussion of the wrongs of society at the time and yadda yadda etc.. but that isn't how anyone actually takes this tale.
Oh? haven't spent much time around Biblical scholars, have you!
The tale does not present itself in that manner in any way.
Take a course and learn something new.
It presents itself as history.
You really need that course in basic Biblical literature.
And while we are all aware that the Hebrew testament was crafted to have layers, the Flood story is not taught as social metaphor.
Yes. It is.
the system I am speaking of, is God's entirety.
The universe is "God's entirety." So, you're saying that the entire universe is immoral? That would include yourself? And your gods?
But at this moment, we are discussing the immorality of God's wholesale mass murder of every living creature on the planet except for 'his favorites'.
Until you get past your penchant for hyperbole, I really can't help you here.
But I have not misrepresented the story,
...Thinking that its entire body was hidden, the ostrich continued to hide its head in the sand...
you buffoon.
Who's my Buddy? You're my Buddy!!!
I am simply pointing out the ugly details in that story, straight from it's own pages, and you simply can't stand being associated with such immorality, so you must impugn my character to cover your rightful shame.
If you remember, O Best Beloved, I have acknowledged that the story is problematic to our modern sensibilities. However, our modern sensibilities have also imparted to us the knowledge that we see things differently than our forebears, so the story has to be interpreted in light of our reality -- not theirs. That's the point at which the story is told as social commentary. I understand that the story seems immoral from a certain point of view. I opine that we need to take a different POV, if the story is to remain useful. You're refusing to try a different POV, preferring, instead, to impugn an entire religion based upon a biased reading of an ancient (and pan-cultural) story.
I have not misrepresented a single thing; only exposed it's ugliness to the light.
If you want to spend time focusing on the leaky and musty basement of Notre Dame Cathedral, that's your business and your bane. The rest of us would rather let our imaginations soar with the spires and flying buttresses.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
If you'll look back, you'll notice that "he" is "you." Robin didn't even mention hell in the post to which you responded by mentioning it. why drag hell into the convo unnecessarily?

Because many non-believers will do anything and believe anything no matter how, unprovable, irrational, illogical, hypothetical, and with even a vanishingly small probability to avoid the implications of the concept of a Christian God. I read counter claims with frustration or humor caused by lack of merit and obvious desperate nature. For instance an atheistic evolutionists has to believe something came from nothing uncaused, life came from non life, consciousness came from unconciousness, information came from no intelligent source, complexity came without intent and inspite of thermodynamics, reason came from non reason, morals came from the ammoral etc..... and then claim that belief in the most tested and valued book that is better textualy attested by far than any other work in ancient history and written by men who suffered and died for their claims is irrational. Go figure!!!

waitasec

Veteran Member
Because many non-believers will do anything and believe anything no matter how, unprovable, irrational, illogical, hypothetical, and with even a vanishingly small probability to avoid the implications of the concept of a Christian God. I read counter claims with frustration or humor caused by lack of merit and obvious desperate nature. For instance an atheistic evolutionists has to believe something came from nothing uncaused, life came from non life, consciousness came from unconciousness, information came from no intelligent source, complexity came without intent and inspite of thermodynamics, reason came from non reason, morals came from the ammoral etc..... and then claim that belief in the most tested and valued book that is better textualy attested by far than any other work in ancient history and written by men who suffered and died for their claims is irrational. Go figure!!!

:facepalm:

i can turn that around
because many believers will do anything and believe anything no matter how, unprovable, irrational, illogical, hypothetical, and with even a vanishingly small probability to avoid the implications of fallible concept of a christian god.

see how that works

1robin

Christian/Baptist
The presence of Hell voids the stated virtue of true love from God, as it is a threat of force.

There is no threat whatsoever from God forcing us to love him. He simply points the consequences (which are consistent and made necessary by his nature) of non-belief. In fact his scorching warnings of hell and his willingness to endure the unthinkable to free us from it can only be justified by his benevolence. I don't know if it is correct or not but there is a very well accepted and justifiable conclusion that hell primarily is a place where God isn't and love is imossible because the source of it is absent. This theory concludes that the fire and brimstone is used metephorically. The testimony of George Forman's NDE is consistent but not proof of this. The reason for hell is the inability of a perfect God being willing to permenantly exist with sin. He will not contend with men forever at some point he will put an end to sin and it's effects. If a man chooses to follow vain logic and deny God then his destination is necessarily not going to be with God for eternity. God never compells forced love but his love does prompt his warnings of the inevitable and necessary final state of people who reject him.

Another theory of hell is that it is temporary and people in it will eventually cease to exist. That the definition of forever refering to hell is until the end of the age not literally eternal. This is not a prevelant theory but is possible. Since I plan to avoid the place I have not exhaustively researched the subject.

sojourner

:facepalm:

i can turn that around
because many believers will do anything and believe anything no matter how, unprovable, irrational, illogical, hypothetical, and with even a vanishingly small probability to avoid the implications of fallible concept of a christian god.

see how that works
Except you didn't turn it around.

sojourner

i sure did.
All you did was add the word "fallible." Since all concepts of God are fallible, the addition of the word is merely redundant and does not change the meaning of the sentence substantively.

Unless, of course, you acknowledge that there is some concept of God that is not fallible.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
His post sounds accurate to me.
His attempt to turn it around reveals at least a lack of originality in thought. Being that the Chrstian faith is based primarily on a book that contains 25,000 historical claims that have been proven correct and is consistent with most accepted philisophical principles etc.......... his turning it around is also inaccurate in most of the descriptions it contains. I know you won't agree for the simple reason you can't agree, it would upset your comfort zone. Being this is becomeing a more or less personal issue which will not have a resolution in spite of the evidence. I will avoid continuing it, but you are more than welcome to reply but I don't plan to after this point unless something changes.

waitasec

Veteran Member
All you did was add the word "fallible." Since all concepts of God are fallible, the addition of the word is merely redundant and does not change the meaning of the sentence substantively.

Unless, of course, you acknowledge that there is some concept of God that is not fallible.

no i didn't...
read it again
because many believers...from non believers :rolleyes:

btw, all concepts of god are subject to being fallible

waitasec

Veteran Member
His attempt to turn it around reveals at least a lack of originality in thought. Being that the Chrstian faith is based primarily on a book that contains 25,000 historical claims that have been proven correct and is consistent with most accepted philisophical principles etc.......... his turning it around is also inaccurate in most of the descriptions it contains. I know you won't agree for the simple reason you can't agree, it would upset your comfort zone. Being this is becomeing a more or less personal issue which will not have a resolution in spite of the evidence. I will avoid continuing it, but you are more than welcome to reply but I don't plan to after this point unless something changes.

are you being dishonest?

i've been on your side of the fence, i do have an idea of what i'm talking about...maybe you're the one who feels a little uncomfortable

sojourner

no i didn't...
read it again
because many believers...from non believers :rolleyes:

btw, all concepts of god are subject to being fallible
Makes no difference. Since all concepts of God are fallible, "believer" or "non believer" makes no difference. Sorry.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Makes no difference. Since all concepts of God are fallible, "believer" or "non believer" makes no difference. Sorry.

:rolleyes::facepalm::rolleyes::facepalm:
that isn't what the original post implied.

see how that works....?

what was the point of your original response to my post?
:shrug:

Last edited: