• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus say he was God???

Me Myself

Back to my username
Jesus didn´t declare himself more of a God than any of us.

When asked if he was the son of God his justification was that the scriptures said "you are gods" to humans in general. Then he spoke about his miracles, but he also said people in the future would make bigger miracles than him, so his godhood is not an exclusive one.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I think his words were clear. Clear enough that no one should be getting the impression he ever thought or even taught others he was "God"...

John 6:38
For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

or...

John 14:23
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
I think his words were clear. Clear enough that no one should be getting the impression he ever thought or even taught others he was "God"...

For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

or...

John 14:23
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

there's that pesky word again...WE
:sarcastic

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
there's that pesky word again...WE
:sarcastic

I know....

John 6:38, as short as the statement is, is one of the most clear and concise statements made....

From that verse we can surmise Yeshua existed in heaven separate from his god, had his own separate will and was sent to Earth by his god to do a job his god wanted him to do.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I know....

John 6:38, as short as the statement is, is one of the most clear and concise statements made....

From that verse we can surmise Yeshua existed in heaven separate from his god, had his own separate will and was sent to Earth by his god to do a job his god wanted him to do.

which says, he didn't want to do it, he was called to do it...

Spirited

Bring about world peace
I know....

That's a good one, I also like:

And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. Mark 10:18

I don't think it could be much more clear than that, he's literally telling them that he does not have all the qualities of God and thus differentiating the two of them.

Shermana

Heretic
You don't understand Greek? Alpha and Omega are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet. The first and last is an obvious reference to Alpha and Omega as used in the same chapter.

Ummm, how does that demonstrate that I don't understand Greek? Because I disagree with you? First and Last is not the same as Alpha and Omega, even if Alpha and Omega are the first and last letters, the context is not the same even if there is a similarity in terms of letters. Alpha and Omega is a specific title that only the Father uses, Yashua does not use it in Verse 1:11 (despite the KJV's inclusion of what doesn't appear in early manuscripts.) Can you guess why the KJV decided to include Alpha and Omega in Verse 1:11? There's a reason why the two are said separately. You are the one who clearly doesn't understand the Greek. The concept of Alpha and Omega may be "First and last Letter", but they are not the same concept. Can you find a single link that says that "First and Last" and "Alpha and Omega' are the same thing, despite Alpha and Omega being the first and last letters? What is the "First and Last" supposed to mean to begin with?

As I've asked several times to many posters to no avail, what does "Last Adam" mean? All your argument is is an attempt to brush aside the fact that "Firstborn of Creation" and "Last Adam" would thoroughly make Yashua the "First and the Last", especially if he is the "Firstborn of the dead". Thus, "Alpha and Omega" is a very specific kind of "First and Last" which is exclusive to the Father, while the actual "First and Last" is a reference that is not exclusive to the Father.

Otherwise, it would be redundant to say "Alpha and Omega, first and the last".

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
That's a good one, I also like:

And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. Mark 10:18

I don't think it could be much more clear than that, he's literally telling them that he does not have all the qualities of God and thus differentiating the two of them.

Actually he got even clearer than that....

John 20:17
Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my god, and your god.

or......

Revelation 3:12
Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my god, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my god, and the name of the city of my god, [which is] new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my god: and I will write upon him my new name

Spirited

Bring about world peace
24:46 Luke: And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

waitasec

Veteran Member
24:46 Luke: And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

this is an interesting notion too..

he gave up his ghost to himself...then he didn't die.
absolute nonsense

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
this is an interesting notion too..

he gave up his ghost to himself...then he didn't die.
absolute nonsense

thats right

logically the trinity concept is completely flawed. Only when we stop calling Jesus God can the story make sense.

Protester

If they didn't this should sure clear the question up!

Luke 22:66 ¶ When it was day, the Council of elders of the people assembled, both chief priests and scribes, and they led Him away to their council chamber, saying,
67 "If You are the Christ, tell us." But He said to them, "If I tell you, you will not believe;
68 and if I ask a question, you will not answer.
69 "But from now on the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the power of God."
70 And they all said, "Are You the Son of God, then?" And He said to them, "Yes, I am."
71 Then they said, "What further need do we have of testimony? For we have heard it ourselves from His own mouth."
---Scripture Quotations Taken from the NASB

Right from Jesus/God's mouth!

What does the Bible teach about the Trinity?

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically

Luke 22:66 ¶ When it was day, the Council of elders of the people assembled, both chief priests and scribes, and they led Him away to their council chamber, saying,
67 "If You are the Christ, tell us." But He said to them, "If I tell you, you will not believe;
69 "But from now on the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the power of God."
70 And they all said, "Are You the Son of God, then?" And He said to them, "Yes, I am."
71 Then they said, "What further need do we have of testimony? For we have heard it ourselves from His own mouth."---Scripture Quotations Taken from the NASB

the author of luke never met or knew jesus NOR did he here one word pass the mans lips

Gospel of Luke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The writer of this anonymous gospel was probably a Gentile Christian

According to the majority view, the evidence against Luke being the author is strong enough that the author is unknown

NOW! even if he really said im the son of god, that would not mean he is a god or a gods equal. If anything stating he is the son makes hin not equal by his own words. thats before you even begin to debate the context yeshua used the phrase in.

any attempt to use scripture to claim validity of the trinity is a waist of time. The trinity concept was not known at the time of any books authorship.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

71 Then they said, "What further need do we have of testimony? For we have heard it ourselves from His own mouth."
---Scripture Quotations Taken from the NASB

how is that the same as "Are You God?...Yes I am"

:confused:

Shermana

Heretic
how is that the same as "Are You God?...Yes I am"

:confused:

Because they think any time Jesus said "I am" that he meant "I Am I am", without any regard to the context of the actual statement. As long as Jesus says "I am" = Trinity proof text. (No need for actual grammar of sentence, just 'Useless words").

And they really don't like when it's pointed out that the actual name is "I shall be", and is stated as an actual name. Using it as part of a statement in a sentence instead of a name in that context makes no sense, but they don't mind.

Last edited: