• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dinosaurs in Vedic Scriptures?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I know there are some scientific proofs of co-existence of humans & dinosaurs. However I'd like to know whether hindu scriptures mention about this big lizard. Can someone put up some references here?

Thank You
Dinosaurs were eons before man. I am going with a 'No' on dinosaurs in the Vedas. But I am closing in on the point that nothing would shock me about this universe of ours:).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Fulgurites: Fulgurites - Google Search

Studied Geology at the graduate level. Do not remember much now, but always have appreciation for it. At one time, applied for a job as 'mines manager' in a soap stone mine. Reason: To live with nature and beautiful aboriginal girls (I was 18 year old at that time). :D

2207-2-Image1.jpg

Stormcry

Dinosaurs were eons before man. I am going with a 'No' on dinosaurs in the Vedas. But I am closing in on the point that nothing would shock me about this universe of ours:).
But Purana-s mentions co-existence of human and some dreadful mighty animals ( Marine dragons & mighty birds) which are unknown to modern science. These animals used to kill humans. Science is an unending process, one can only say science has not found any proofs of co-existence yet.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I also love aby girls. Who cannot? I am telling you, many a Brit soldier lost his heart to an aby.

Back to soldiers, and ... giant "birds". In sort of is on subject, I do believe 100 percent in Hindu scriptures and Hindu tales of giant birds. Because our US soldiers in WW2 have seen them.

I think the flying dinosaurs known as Pterodactylus (wingspan about 3 to 3.5 feet ) might still exist today, though the Pterodactals were actually NOT dinosaurs though they existed at the time of dinos, in fact these flying thunders were indeed what we once thought of as dinos, that is these thunders were indeed flying lizards or reptiles as were dragons. Dinos are not reptiles but bird family, but these thunders were indeed reptiles in nature (odd contradiction in terms since it was the dinos that became birds and not reptiles). U.S. soldiers who were fighting in the Pacific against Japan and were stranded due to a downed plane or boat crash, in island areas of deep Indonesia and Bali area as well as Papua New Guinea have spotted and reported them, as well as Japanese in the same areas.

So I believe them, these are not the very large Pteranodons with 20 foot wingspans but the smaller (but longer gene pool) Pterodactylus types according to descriptions.

Now I use the term thunders, but that is American vocabulary since here in the Western states such as West of the Mississippi River in the desert areas we had (may still do) giant "condors", black, bigger than the California Condor which actually I have seen here in California which can be huge and are gliders but these were larger than the California Condor and are known as Thunderbirds because of the sound made when calling to the time when both a bright moon and sun are still in the sky just at the start of a twilight.

So in one way, with the Flying "Thunders" in the Pacific islands, we might say men and dinos do coexist right now, though these flying "lizards" are not dinosaurs.

I am not putting reptiles down, there might be intelligent reptilians on other planets, but these flying thunders are smart enough actually though seemingly dumb. According to these soldiers, they don't like humans.

Fables as the Arabian Nights and such old, old stories refer to what seems actual Thunderbirds living in the land of Allahdin and the Magic Lamp, also associated with islands but I am not aware of very many islands there unless near Egypt.

So... call me a nutjob, But... I believe in giant flying "birds" ... and also "Bigfoot"

UPDATE: correction - 3 to 3.5 EACH WING - 7 foot wingspan (or more).

flying-dinosaurs-names.jpg

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
One species is found in the cities and towns, other in villages in jungles and are well-inclined towards city-folk. The latter wear less clothes. The photograph I have given is different by half-a-century in which a lot of things have happened, and they are dressed for a festival.

jonathan180iq

Yucatan is far from North Georgia which had its own volcanic activity

There was a mud volcano in Winder, Ga a few hundred thousand years ago. But mud volcanoes don't produce stuff like this.

I am curious how big it is too, be good if something was next to it for a reference on size.
It's about as long as my hand. There are two pieces that obviously were once a single piece.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
But Purana-s mentions co-existence of human and some dreadful mighty animals ( Marine dragons & mighty birds) which are unknown to modern science. These animals used to kill humans. Science is an unending process, one can only say science has not found any proofs of co-existence yet.

Nor will it. The First Humans only go back as far as 3.7 Million years ago. Dinosaurs were more like 65 million years ago.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
White albatross has a wing span of 10 feet.
I hope this settles it.
It does, photographic proof that no one can deny. I think Krishna danced on Dino's head? I notice that it is a bamboo forest and Dinos did not brush their teeth.
There was a mud volcano in Winder, Ga a few hundred thousand years ago. But mud volcanoes don't produce stuff like this.
I think more happened than just that.

"The Blue Ridge consists of metamorphic rocks, either metamorphosed equivalents of sedimentary rocks or igneous rocks, and the region includes the metavolcanic rocks of the Georgia Gold Belt. The region also includes igneous intrusions of granite and diabase.

The Piedmont geologic region is composed of igneous and metamorphic rocks resulting from ancient (300 to 600 million year old) sediments that were subjected to high temperatures and pressures and re-exposed about 250 to 300 million years ago." (Wikipedia - Geology of Georgia, U.S.)

Last edited:

Stormcry

Nor will it. The First Humans only go back as far as 3.7 Million years ago. Dinosaurs were more like 65 million years ago.

I'm not blind follower of Science. There are some evidences of co-existence. Most importantly for me, there are scriptural indications.

George-ananda

Premium Member
One species is found in the cities and towns, other in villages in jungles and are well-inclined towards city-folk. The latter wear less clothes. The photograph I have given is different by half-a-century in which a lot of things have happened, and they are dressed for a festival.
Wouldn't Indians in cities and towns be aboriginals who moved from their ancestral villages.

My need for clarity is that the use of the word aboriginal means something more distinct in Australia and America. The non-aboriginal Indians still trace their deep ancestry to India.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I'm not blind follower of Science. There are some evidences of co-existence. Most importantly for me, there are scriptural indications.
There are multiple things about timing and technologies in some traditional Hindu literature that just does not square with conventional modern understandings. Even the timing of things like Yugas or ancient flying vehicles and humans of a different type/proportions, when did Rama really live, Atlantis, etc. etc. have caused me to wonder. I have asked on RF before and never got answers that wholly make sense.

So, I share your curiosity. I want to take the things that don't fit our modern understandings as mythology but then there are people I most respect saying that there is reality in all these things that confuse me. I'm now of the opinion that modern understandings are correct (with some learning to go) and respected masters who espouse these things may be doing so out of respect for traditions.

Thoughts?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm not a blind follower of any scripture, nor of science. What evidences do you have outside of scriptures? Go on. Put them to the test. The same scrutiny science asks will apply to said evidence.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My need for clarity is that the use of the word aboriginal means something more distinct in Australia and America. The non-aboriginal Indians still trace their deep ancestry to India.
Good question and the answer is 'perhaps not'. I trace my ancestry from Kambojas (an Aryan tribe other than the five - Pancha-janas - Yadus, Turvasas, Anus, Druhyus, and Purus). Similarly, there were other migrants (Shakas, Kushana, Hunas, etc.). Before them, there is supposed to be another Indo-European migration, some people say that was 40,000 years ago, Dravidians are supposed to be those people. Indian society is perhaps formed by these three layers. The aboriginals/forest-dwellers are different from the city-dwellers.
So, I share your curiosity. I want to take the things that don't fit our modern understandings as mythology but then there are people I most respect saying that there is reality in all these things that confuse me. I'm now of the opinion that modern understandings are correct (with some learning to go) and respected masters who espouse these things may be doing so out of respect for traditions.
I think you have yourself answered the question.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Premium Member
Good question and the answer is 'perhaps not'. I trace my ancestry from Kambojas (an Aryan tribe other than the five - Pancha-janas - Yadus, Turvasas, Anus, Druhyus, and Purus).
What? Aup is an Aryan invader? :)I thought the Hindus here in general don't think the Aryan invasion theory is accurate? (I probably know ten times more than the average westerner about India, but help me out here:))