• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disproving the Bible

JoStories

Thank you for your decency.. Non taken.. Conversations are one way of exchanging thoughts and ideas to learn.. and is usually useful.. what are you? Atheist.. agnostic or other?
I am a Buddhist Marilo. I find eastern faiths to fit me and my understanding of God the best. And thank you for your decency as well sir.

outhouse

Atheistically
even the Christian faith was built on older faiths, such as the oldest faith, which would be Hinduism,

I would love to see credible evidence in support, to date I have not found any outside wishful thinking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism_and_other_religions#Hinduism_and_Christianity

While it is evident that a number of Indian sages visited Constantinople in Classical Antiquity, claims of significant influence in either direction have failed to gain wide acceptance.

Christianity revolves heavily around the life of Jesus Christ as detailed in the Bible, whereas Hinduism is not based on any one personality or one book, but rather on the philosophy that there is god.

Buddhism, Hinduism and Christianity differ on fundamental beliefs on heaven, hell and reincarnation, to name a few.

So if we get into urreligion here and we look into possible connections, we see examples in the bible and other text showing trade routes were established between the two religions as far back as 1000BC. Despite picking this information out of mythology, to our best guess, it did take place in Israelite cultures. It shows no religious connection however. But the connection to Christianity cannot be substantiated in any way at this time. It shows 100% origin in Judaism.

Now if I wanted to build a connection, I would start to search in topics knowing and recognizing the true origin of Christianity lies in Hellenism plagiarizing Judaism. But as the religion evolved away from Judaism, it adopted many pagan practices native to Hellenism in this region over hundreds of years. The problem again when speaking of origins, is we see the religion adopting the Emperors divine status by plagiarizing the Imperal cult, which includes the "son of god" and speaking to large crowds, and many rhetorical similarities to guild authority and divinity to appeal to the emperors followers. They aimed this rhetorical prose at the gentiles in the Diaspora so that they would have a choice of worshipping the corrupt Emperor as "son of god" or the new "son of god" who sacrificed his life for the good of the people fighting a corrupt government.

Christianity surrounds the martyrdom of jesus in light of the divorce of Hellenistic Judaism from cultural judaism

Marllo111

I am a Buddhist Marilo. I find eastern faiths to fit me and my understanding of God the best. And thank you for your decency as well sir.
Can you help me read about Buddhism to understand it more.. can you recommend a simple english source?

What is your plan on tackling the subject of eastern faiths if I may ask? Which ones do you intend to look into and how?

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Can you help me read about Buddhism to understand it more.. can you recommend a simple english source?

What is your plan on tackling the subject of eastern faiths if I may ask? Which ones do you intend to look into and how?
Hi, go here: http://www.religiousforums.com/forums/buddhism-dir.10/ To see that there are several forms of Buddhism. We have it divided into 4 separate areas, and each area has a brief overview that is fairly good. Its short, and you can determine which kind of Buddhism is most understandable to you and then explore from there. The oldest is probably closest to Theravada (Southern Buddhism), but the most popular is the Mahayana. Because the flavors are so different its hard to say what Buddhism is exactly without talking about each grouping.

JoStories

I would love to see credible evidence in support, to date I have not found any outside wishful thinking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism_and_other_religions#Hinduism_and_Christianity

While it is evident that a number of Indian sages visited Constantinople in Classical Antiquity, claims of significant influence in either direction have failed to gain wide acceptance.

Christianity revolves heavily around the life of Jesus Christ as detailed in the Bible, whereas Hinduism is not based on any one personality or one book, but rather on the philosophy that there is god.

Buddhism, Hinduism and Christianity differ on fundamental beliefs on heaven, hell and reincarnation, to name a few.

So if we get into urreligion here and we look into possible connections, we see examples in the bible and other text showing trade routes were established between the two religions as far back as 1000BC. Despite picking this information out of mythology, to our best guess, it did take place in Israelite cultures. It shows no religious connection however. But the connection to Christianity cannot be substantiated in any way at this time. It shows 100% origin in Judaism.

Now if I wanted to build a connection, I would start to search in topics knowing and recognizing the true origin of Christianity lies in Hellenism plagiarizing Judaism. But as the religion evolved away from Judaism, it adopted many pagan practices native to Hellenism in this region over hundreds of years. The problem again when speaking of origins, is we see the religion adopting the Emperors divine status by plagiarizing the Imperal cult, which includes the "son of god" and speaking to large crowds, and many rhetorical similarities to guild authority and divinity to appeal to the emperors followers. They aimed this rhetorical prose at the gentiles in the Diaspora so that they would have a choice of worshipping the corrupt Emperor as "son of god" or the new "son of god" who sacrificed his life for the good of the people fighting a corrupt government.

Christianity surrounds the martyrdom of jesus in light of the divorce of Hellenistic Judaism from cultural judaism
Thank you for pulling me up short Outhouse. You're right of course. However, that being said, I continue to believe that while there are differences in the faiths, as you point out, I also see parallels in the faiths as well. Much of what is written in the Vedas is very much like that found in Judaism and Christianity. I am not saying they were founded one on the other. I just see clear parallels. And as you note, there was travel between the various cultures. So can it not be said that some influence could have made its way into the two other faiths?

JoStories

Brick provided a nice link for some information for you. You can read about it there. I am unclear what your question about tackling the subject of eastern faiths means exactly? Can you please rephrase? And as far as which I have looked into, that would be almost all as I hold a PhD in theology Marilo. I studied most faiths.

Marllo111

Hi, go here: http://www.religiousforums.com/forums/buddhism-dir.10/ To see that there are several forms of Buddhism. We have it divided into 4 separate areas, and each area has a brief overview that is fairly good. Its short, and you can determine which kind of Buddhism is most understandable to you and then explore from there. The oldest is probably closest to Theravada (Southern Buddhism), but the most popular is the Mahayana. Because the flavors are so different its hard to say what Buddhism is exactly without talking about each grouping.
Thanks..:)

Marllo111

Brick provided a nice link for some information for you. You can read about it there. I am unclear what your question about tackling the subject of eastern faiths means exactly? Can you please rephrase? And as far as which I have looked into, that would be almost all as I hold a PhD in theology Marilo. I studied most faiths.
Thank you. You answered my question. If I could be of any help to you please let me know and good luck to you on your journey. I have a nice book that might be useful to you. It name is "Izharul Haq" - meaning the Truth Revealed by Rahmatullah Kairanvi. You can find as PDF on the lnternet. It is a very good book from my point of view which was written in reply to the trials of the English Christian missionaries (when UK conquered India) to convert Muslims to Christianity. It a really good one. Have a nice day. :)

JoStories

Thank you. You answered my question. If I could be of any help to you please let me know and good luck to you on your journey. I have a nice book that might be useful to you. It name is "Izharul Haq" - meaning the Truth Revealed by Rahmatullah Kairanvi. You can find as PDF on the lnternet. It is a very good book from my point of view which was written in reply to the trials of the English Christian missionaries (when UK conquered India) to convert Muslims to Christianity. It a really good one. Have a nice day. :)
Thank you Marilo. If you have an interest, there are many books on Buddhism however, a good place to start would be the Teachings of The Buddha. You can find that at sacredtexts.com. It has most sacred texts of all faiths. I use that one quite a lot. Its free and you can read them at your leisure. I appreciate the name of your recommendation and have made a note of it for myself. I personally have a great deal of sadness about what Christian missionaries did to people, as I am half Native American and those missionaries were rather cruel, IMO. I can respect that they thought they were spreading truth but they did so at the expense of lives and honor. That, IMO, is so very wrong. I wish you peace on your journey as well. Namaste!

outhouse

Atheistically
I also see parallels in the faiths as well

Absolutely ;)

Human needs and desires are similar, and it resonates through the theology they create. From concepts surrounding parental love to human morals, and dealing with the loss of loved ones.

I'm glad these positive aspects are shared.

JoStories

Absolutely ;)

Human needs and desires are similar, and it resonates through the theology they create. From concepts surrounding parental love to human morals, and dealing with the loss of loved ones.

I'm glad these positive aspects are shared.
As am I Outhouse but my problem comes when the particular faith uses their or these tenets to browbeat others or cow politicians into making laws that are based on this. It is then that I feel one must stand up and say no, irregardless of the faith in question.

Milton Platt

Very few actually. I live in a very irreligious society in a very irreligious time. Being a hostile atheist would actually be following the conventional wisdom.

But I'm too cool to be mainstream.

Interesting remark. What society do you live in? Nearly all of them are predominately religious in makup.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Interesting remark. What society do you live in? Nearly all of them are predominately religious in makup.
Most people in the industrialised west are nominal, this includes the US. I live in Australia and whilst the majority may tick "Christian" on a census, only a tiny percentage actually practice or even have a significant idea of what the Christian faith even teaches.

Churches are getting increasingly empty with each generation. The good side is that those who stay will be those who actually care about the faith, even if it means Christian will be a minority.

Last edited by a moderator: