• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do any non-theists think being Gay is wrong?

Smoke

Done here.
The stuff i had read stated that there was some emotional and social developmental problems noticed amongst children with same sex parents.
That kind of stuff typically uses data about children raised by single parents and then disingenuously applies it to children being raised by same-sex couples. The people putting it out generally have an anti-gay agenda, and I notice they rarely try to pass laws to take children away from unwed mothers or widows, or even laws against adoption by single parents. Single parent adoption is legal in every state in the union, and has a long history. My own grandaunt was adopted by a widow nearly a hundred years ago, and was that widow's second adoptive child. Not that I'm not arguing against single parenting; just saying that these people purposely misinterpret the data.

Thanks Smokie.
Happy to be of service. :)

Alceste

Vagabond
Whose theories are those? Here's what the APA says:
Results of social science research have failed to confirm any of these concerns about children of lesbian and gay parents (Patterson, 2000, 2004a; Perrin, 2002; Tasker, 1999). Research suggests that sexual identities (including gender identity, gender-role behavior, and sexual orientation) develop in much the same ways among children of lesbian mothers as they do among children of heterosexual parents (Patterson, 2004a). Studies of other aspects of personal development (including personality, self-concept, and conduct) similarly reveal few differences between children of lesbian mothers and children of heterosexual parents (Perrin, 2002; Stacey & Biblarz, 2001; Tasker, 1999). However, few data regarding these concerns are available for children of gay fathers (Patterson, 2004b). Evidence also suggests that children of lesbian and gay parents have normal social relationships with peers and adults (Patterson, 2000, 2004a; Perrin, 2002; Stacey & Biblarz, 2001; Tasker, 1999; Tasker & Golombok, 1997). The picture that emerges from research is one of general engagement in social life with peers, parents, family members, and friends. Fears about children of lesbian or gay parents being sexually abused by adults, ostracized by peers, or isolated in single-sex lesbian or gay communities have received no scientific support. Overall, results of research suggest that the development, adjustment, and well-being of children with lesbian and gay parents do not differ markedly from that of children with heterosexual parents.

That's what I thought the studies have shown, but I couldn't have named any - thanks for the info.

EverChanging

I'm gay, so maybe I'm biased, but I don't see a problem with it. On the other hand, I am not transgendered or transsexual, and I would NEVER want a sex change, yet I don't see that as wrong. I am glad that people who need them are able to more perfectly match their bodies with their own gender-identity, and however weird that might seem to me at times, I don't see it as wrong. Yet many religious people do because they believe in God-given defined gender roles. As an atheist, I obviously don't have such beliefs (although not all theists do, either.)

In all my time browsing forums, I've never come across a non-theist (atheists and agnostics) who believed homosexuality was unethical or immoral. The one I came across who had a problem with it -- though not necessarily thinking it was wrong -- quickly changed his mind after reading a few reasonable opinions from other atheists on the forum.

Spiritone

Why would anyone ever have a problem with love? :D

I think there is some confusion between love and sex. I don't believe that sex is love although they go together often and love is not always a part of sex. There is sexual attraction that can be hetro or homosexual.
But my way of looking at it is this: Like humans adjusting to any new condition over a long period of time when homosexuality was practiced it had repercussions as through maybe reincarnation or some spiritual way too complicated to go into here. Whatever, if not practiced eventually it would die out if the people lived logical thinking lives as religion has attempted to accomplish. mho

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
Is being gay wrong? Nope. While not my cup of tea, if it doesn't harm anyone, go for it. I never could understand some people's dislike of gays.

BTW, for it to be wrong, wouldn't it have to be a choice? For anyone claiming it is... do you remember getting up one morning and decided... today I gonna choose to be straight? Didn't think so.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
I don't have a problem with homosexuality. I just have a problem with keeping women around.

I think the same thing that invented everything from religion to computer language is responsible for things like homophobia and racism.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I found out a friend of mine is an atheist and is against gay marriage rights, he is a Capitalist and thinks that it gets us nowhere.