• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do any non-theists think being Gay is wrong?

Stellify

StarChild
The Spartans - and I think Thebans - did it. They took a young male lover and the bond created would somehow help them fight more valiantly on the battlefield.

Hey, it worked didn't it? Spartans hauled a**
I had forgotten about that...I haven't looked into it, but I heard such a thing a long time ago.
I guess it makes sense, the stronger the connection you have with your comrades, the more you'll do to fight for them.

Haha Spartans :yes:

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I think that those practices were a bit more complicated, though...like the boy wasn't supposed to actually be attracted back...and if someone was on the receiving end of things, it could be considered shameful under some circumstances, I believe. There was a lot of social stigma associated with two men of equal social standing being together sexually, as well.
I think it was the same in ancient Rome.
Here's the wiki for it, if you care to give it a look:
Homosexuality in ancient Greece - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That being said, though, I've never had a problem with homosexuality. Nor do I think I would if I were atheist.

I don't know of any atheists who are against it...but I know someone who might be considered a "misotheist" (if that's the right word? Kinda guessing here..)...who thinks homosexuality is wrong. But I think his views are largely due to his Christian upbringing.

I was also told that Philosophers for many years (men) also slept together... it was a way of sharing intimacy and knowledge... it was almost like, if you truly loved another man, understood his teachings, and wanted to embrace his knowledge, having sex with him was one way to share this bond.

Is it only Christianity that has an issue with homosexual marriage? I wonder....

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
I was also told that Philosophers for many years (men) also slept together... it was a way of sharing intimacy and knowledge... it was almost like, if you truly loved another man, understood his teachings, and wanted to embrace his knowledge, having sex with him was one way to share this bond.

Is it only Christianity that has an issue with homosexual marriage? I wonder....

I think all the Abrahamics do. At least the more literal interpretations of them.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

Actually Hindus are generally against homosexuality, which is funny because homosoxuality is so rampant in India...particularly amongst the mendicants, lol!
However I really don't think the scriptures talk about it much and the homophobia is mostly cultural/irrational. I do know that the scriptures say that homosexuality was created by Bramha, as were all things. So it's basically saying that it is natural.

MissAlice

I have a cousin who is gay and it wasn't easy for him to come out of the closet. He says he feels ostracized by most of his family members ever since he told them. So I'd have to ask why anyone would think homosexuality is a choice with all the hate and disgust it recieves.

I find it even more odd in how so many people automatically connecting it to pedophilia. As if heterosexuals are innocent of these crimes..

So it never ceases to amaze me how irrational and ironic people are. Take for instance faith based religions who preach love and peace while condoning the acts of wife beating, war, slavery, stoning, rape, oppression, and killing. Yet for two people of the same sex to love eachother is so horrific that it deserves an execution, imprisonment or in many cases a beating.

Yep, I've come to the conclusion that humans are just plain crazy...:yes:

.lava

Veteran Member
That's the question. I wonder if faith is directly responsible for disliking homosexual activity in general. If you are a non-theist, do you see anything wrong with homosexuality? If you are a theist and want to participate: if you were a non-theist would you have a problem with homosexuality?

Be honest.

expressions like dislike or having problem with would not explain how i seeit. i personally do not have problem with homosexuality and it is because i do not have that kind of emotion for the same gender lol. IMO it is a sin. i find it ironic that many religious people who commit other sins such as stealing, gossiping, lying and even killing would look down upon homosexuals as if they are any better than them. no sin is better than other. i think people gave reaction to homosexuality maybe because of their empathy. they just can not stand the idea on its own. so, no, i do not have problem with now and i would have had problem with it if i was non-theist. but that is true i could not spend so much time with homosexuals. i know many gay people here. among old friend of mine it is almost old-fashion to have a mate from opposite gender. they have very different kind of life style. so i do not see them anymore. i always find it strange that when i first meet a gay person, they tell their life story in 30 minutes. that's just strange.

GiantHouseKey

IMO it is a sin. i find it ironic that many religious people who commit other sins such as stealing, gossiping, lying and even killing would look down upon homosexuals as if they are any better than them. no sin is better than other.
Just to clear this up, you're saying that if you live your life as a heterosexual serial child molester and murderer that's exactly the same as being a homosexual who spends his whole life dedicating himself to helping others?

GhK.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Just to clear this up, you're saying that if you live your life as a heterosexual serial child molester and murderer that's exactly the same as being a homosexual who spends his whole life dedicating himself to helping others?

GhK.

That's actually a very interesting point, if all sins are indeed equal.

.lava

Veteran Member

GhK.

one sin not more acceptable than other, that's what i am saying.

GiantHouseKey

one sin not more acceptable than other, that's what i am saying.

Interesting... Thank you for sharing your views, .lava.

I'm interested to know if other Abrahamic faiths feel the same way. I know this is the wrong place to be asking but as the ball is rolling...

GhK.

.lava

Veteran Member
Interesting... Thank you for sharing your views, .lava.

I'm interested to know if other Abrahamic faiths feel the same way. I know this is the wrong place to be asking but as the ball is rolling...

GhK.

i do not know about other religions and even about sections of Islam. i asked about this issue before. every person commit sins but we all have different soft points, we are all alike but also different. for one anger might be the greatest problem, that would be his weakness. for other it could be addiction. there are 19 vices of human ego and each person has one or a few more personal weaknesses.