• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do "Believers" really believe?

Alright. This is ridiculous.

Logdog, you have about 40 posts in this thread. In those posts you have been able to state one thing: You think religious people are delusional. Wow. Insightful. If your goal is somehow make people believe that religion is for the delusional, you're going to need to work a lot harder. You have in no way shown how it's delusional (saying it's delusional in different words doesn't mean jack) how it has impeded mankinds progression, and you have avoided quite a bit of other peoples very valid points that should be in no way difficult to counter if you are sure(I believe the number was 99.999% percent sure) you are right. If you have nothing new to bring to the table, try a different subject or thread to discuss. Otherwise, I believe Booko threw a glove down.

~matthew.william~

LogDog

matthew.william said:
Alright. This is ridiculous.

Logdog, you have about 40 posts in this thread. In those posts you have been able to state one thing: You think religious people are delusional. Wow. Insightful. If your goal is somehow make people believe that religion is for the delusional, you're going to need to work a lot harder. You have in no way shown how it's delusional (saying it's delusional in different words doesn't mean jack) how it has impeded mankinds progression, and you have avoided quite a bit of other peoples very valid points that should be in no way difficult to counter if you are sure(I believe the number was 99.999% percent sure) you are right. If you have nothing new to bring to the table, try a different subject or thread to discuss. Otherwise, I believe Booko threw a glove down.

~matthew.william~

Maybe it is time for a new discussion. Any suggestions?

ayani

LogDog said:
Maybe it is time for a new discussion. Any suggestions?

how bout them Colts?
colts.gif

:D

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
LogDog said:
Here's my answer for the second or third time.

They've come under the spell of religion and a false belief derived from deception. An atheist is not immune to it.

Not Me..........:no:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
LogDog said:
Was the bible proclaiming that god exists as an idea or an "imagination" in the theatre of the mind?

Certainly not. But the God of the Bible is not the only God. Many mystical versions of God do seem to take a more symbolic approach to it.

LogDog said:
If you are defining existence in terms of what the human mind is able to imagine, then yes, I suppose god does exists. My question is how an "idea" or an "imagination" takes on the ability to create "heaven", earth and life itself? The "idea" of god seems to be a very complicated and a highly unlikely answer to fill the void of our scientific knowledge.

You are, of course, correct.

But an idea can still act as a potent force, and indeed, the idea of God is powerful. The idea can fill other voids for people, such as companionship or meaning. For some, the belief that there is a loving entity higher than the hardships of life is much needed.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Adalwulf said:
I know my mother loves me because she nurtures me, cares about me, respects my opinions, ect. Evidence like that seems alot more obvious than knowing God created the universe.

Ahh! You know that to be evidence of your mother loving you because you know what a good mother is supposed to do, in other words, you know what you're looking for when searching for evidence. A lot of religions can agree that the majority of God's workings are a complete mystery, so we would have no clue what type of evidence to single out as to there being a God at all. If you don't know what you're looking for, you'll pass up a Lot of evidence in your search.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Booko said:
Well, Victor, if he continues to be unwilling or unable to explain my experience vis a vis religion, then that'll be answer enough.

And if he can't explain yours he can't explain mine either. I was militantly atheist throughout my student years and probably even more extreme in that than LogDog. Hopefully my arguments were a little more sustainable, however.

James

LogDog

JamesThePersian said:
And if he can't explain yours he can't explain mine either. I was militantly atheist throughout my student years and probably even more extreme in that than LogDog. Hopefully my arguments were a little more sustainable, however.

James

Why is your experience unique. You "saw the light" and were drawn to it. Happens all the time.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
i honestly don't know why we are keeping this thread going.

Theist and non-theist will continue to believe what they want to. The only thing that can change the way they think is themselves. Being an atheist i don't really care to live my life the way a theist does. but that is my choice.

We can't presume that we are entitled to have them defend their way of life simply becaue we can't understand it, or don't agree with it. If they open the door to try and covert others, be they theist or non theist, then they may be required to explain themselves although it's not mandatory. Theist and non-theist owe no one an explanation for how they live their life.

Now do we have another tread we can start and leave this one alone? Like i said before....It's the dog chasing its tale and getting no where.

yuvgotmel

LogDog said:
I've read (the CliffsNotes version of) your bible. Have you read mine? It's called Letter to a Christian Nation. You've got to check it out.
"Letter to a Christian Nation" is available here on PDF: http://northfield.org/files/issues/letter-to-a-christian-nation.pdf

Thank you LogDog for directing me to this work. It is well-written.

Thanks again.

In addition to the excellent essay you posted above, I thought I'd also give a link for one of my favorites too: Thomas Paine's "The Age of Reason." http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/thomas_paine/age_of_reason/

LogDog

yuvgotmel said:
"Letter to a Christian Nation" is available here on PDF: http://northfield.org/files/issues/letter-to-a-christian-nation.pdf

Thank you LogDog for directing me to this work. It is well-written.

Thanks again.

In addition to the excellent essay you posted above, I thought I'd also give a link for one of my favorites too: Thomas Paine's "The Age of Reason." http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/thomas_paine/age_of_reason/

Thanks for the reply yuvgotme. "The Age of Reason" is sitting on my nightstand. Haven't been able to get to it yet but it's next on my list.