• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christians and Muslims Worship the Same God?

Renji

I've bought this fascinating book written by George Dardess entitled: "Do We Worship the Same God? (comparing the Bible and the Qur'an)"

I would like to take note of these lines from the intro: "Do Christians and Muslims worship the same God? The question seems moot. Didn't the Second Vatican Council answer it once and for all with a resounding "yes"? For example, Lumen Gentium (Dogmatic Constitution on the Church) proclaimed that:"... the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator. In the first place among these are the Muslims, who, professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and Merciful God, who on the last day will judge humankind."

"Also on Vatican II document, Nostra Aetate: Upon the Muslims, too, the Church looks with esteem. They adore one God, living and enduring, merciful and all powerful, Maker of heaven and earth and Speaker to humanity. They strive to submit wholeheartedly even to His inscrutable decrees, just as did Abraham, with whom Islamic faith is pleased to associate itself. Though they not acknowledge as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin mother; at times they call her, too, with devotion. In addition they await the judgment day when God will give each person his due after raising him up. Consequently, they prize the moral life, and give worship to God, especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting."

" Nostra Aetate directly said what Lumen Gentium did not: that Muslims do not worship Jesus as God. Yet in centuries before Vatican II, that admission is a resounding "no!" to this question, and to cause it to condemn Muslims as schismatics. (That's why Dante in Divine Comedy puts Muhammad to gruesome torment in one of the lowest circles of hell) Vatican II reversed that negative perspective completely. Nostra Aetate put the Muslim and Catholic difference of belief about Jesus into a subordinate clause as if the difference of belief, while still very significant, did not outweigh what Muslims and Christians have in common. According to Nostra Aetate, the fact that Christians believe that Jesus is God wile Muslims don't did not affect the council's judgment that we do in fact worship the same God."

---> Now, the deal with this is that the book purely used the RC doctrine. I want to know how other Christians, Catholics and Muslims think about this. And the more good thing about this book is that it does not assert an answer to the OP, but rather, it throws out questions and allows it's readers to formulate their own answers. So, what do you think, do we worship the same God?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
There is one problem. Christians worship Jesus of Nazareth as God. Muslims view Jesus as a mortal man, flesh and blood, and as in Judaism the idolization of a mortal man might be the single most abominable act.

Last edited:

Renji

There is one problem. Christians worship Jesus of Nazareth as God. Muslims view Jesus as a mortal man, flesh and blood, and as in Judaism the idolization of mortal man might be the single most abominable act.

Just want to ask, what are the significant differences/similarities on Judaism and Islam's teachings?

Sajdah

Al-Aqsa Is In My Heart.
So, what do you think, do we worship the same God?
No, we don't! :)
The God christians worship is three gods merged into one God, but we worship One God who has no children, no parents, nor any partner, and nothing like Him.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Me too. But why do we have different views about Jesus if that's the case?

I don't think my view of Jesus (A lot of it coming from Philip Newell and 'Jesus for the non religious' by Spong) is that different from what I understand to be the Muslim view.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
The God christians worship is three gods merged into one God, but we worship One God who has no children, no parents, nor any partner, and nothing like Him.

With respect Sajdah,
The God this Christian worships is above knowing.

Sajdah

Al-Aqsa Is In My Heart.
"Also on Vatican II document, Nostra Aetate: Upon the Muslims, too, the Church looks with esteem. They adore one God, living and enduring, merciful and all powerful, Maker of heaven and earth and Speaker to humanity. They strive to submit wholeheartedly even to His inscrutable decrees, just as did Abraham, with whom Islamic faith is pleased to associate itself. Though they not acknowledge as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin mother; at times they call her, too, with devotion. In addition they await the judgment day when God will give each person his due after raising him up. Consequently, they prize the moral life, and give worship to God, especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting."
What is mentioned here doesn't mean that Muslims and christians worship the same God, to answer that question we should compare the christian/Muslim belief about God!

GabrielWithoutWings

Wrong.

God in orthodox Christianity is three persons (hypostases) of one Essence (Ousia).

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I have no idea.
I attend the Church of Ireland and feel quite comfortable there.
It seems to me Lawrence is asking about Christianity 'the religion', and Islam 'the religion', not the tailored made beliefs of individuals.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
It seems to me Lawrence is asking about Christianity 'the religion', and Islam 'the religion', not the tailored made beliefs of individuals.
My beliefs are derived (mainly) from the writings of a bishop and a minister in the Anglican communion. Isn't it reasonable to assume their views are representative of Christianity?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
My beliefs are derived (mainly) from the writings of a bishop and a minister in the Anglican communion. Isn't it reasonable to assume their views are representative of Christianity?
I would say it is representative of this minister. the vast majority of Christians around the world idolize Jesus, and view him as their God. this is the most fundamental tenant of their faith, at least 'on paper' or on scriptures as it were.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I would say it is representative of this minister. the vast majority of Christians around the world idolize Jesus, and view him as their God. this is the most fundamental tenant of their faith, at least 'on paper' or on scriptures as it were.
With respect Dan,
You don't get to decide who is and is not a Christian. Newell and Spong are both ordained members of the Anglican Church.
Until they're booted out as heretics it is reasonable to take them as Christians.
Even if they are booted out - it's still reasonable to think of them as Christians imo.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well at least we know that some christians worship the same god as muslims do, even if not all or most christians do. As for the more spread idea of god amongst the larger number of christians, i'd say no its not the same god, because in which ever way you explain it its not the same idea that Muslims have of god.