• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christians and Muslims Worship the Same God?

Sajdah

Al-Aqsa Is In My Heart.
With respect Sajdah,
The God this Christian worships is above knowing.
May I ask you, who is the God you worship? His attributes...etc?
What I'm aware of is that the Christian God is called a Trinity, and they believe that Jesus PBUH is the second member of the Triune,and the son of God. Is it incorrect?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Well at least we know that some christians worship the same god as muslims do, even if not all or most christians do.
How many of them would you say Bardan? a minority? a small minority? a handful?
the bottom line, the core body of Christians around the world, who do THEY worship?

Renji

What is mentioned here doesn't mean that Muslims and christians worship the same God, to answer that question we should compare the christian/Muslim belief about God!

Sorry but I disagree on what you said on the first part (but anyway, this is just a discussion forum, not a debate one so I'll just consider what you said)

And that's exactly why I opened this topic, to compare those beliefs based on whatever doctrines (whether opposing, similar, etc) this two religions have;)

Renji

And just to clarify things, I wasn't the one who said the quoted text in the OP, it's George Dardess, the author of the book I'm reading. He adopted those from the Vatican documents.

Sajdah

Al-Aqsa Is In My Heart.
And that's exactly why I opened this topic, to compare those beliefs based on whatever doctrines (whether opposing, similar, etc) this two religions have;)

Well, Lawrence, if you are a christian do you want to begin telling us about the God you worship?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
May I ask you, who is the God you worship? His attributes...etc?
What I'm aware of is that the Christian God is called a Trinity, and they believe that Jesus PBUH is the second member of the Triune,and the son of God. Is it incorrect?

If I claimed to know God I would be setting myself up as greater than God.
This is how I understand God.
God is to be seen in the face of a newborn - Pelagius
God is the goodness and grace in all created things - St.Patrick
God is the presence of the uncreated in all created things. St. Patrick
The world is a physical manifestation of God - Eriugena
'the Being on which all being rests' -Alexander John Scott
'God is the Life of life' - George MacLeod

Renji

Well at least we know that some christians worship the same god as muslims do, even if not all or most christians do. As for the more spread idea of god amongst the larger number of christians, i'd say no its not the same god, because in which ever way you explain it its not the same idea that Muslims have of god.

I would say, that can be attributed to the doctrinal differences of various christian sects in addition to some christians who have their own (individual) perception or belief on who/what/which is God.

Sajdah

Al-Aqsa Is In My Heart.
If I claimed to know God I would be setting myself up as greater than God.
This is how I understand God.
God is to be seen in the face of a newborn - Pelagius
God is the goodness and grace in all created things - St.Patrick
God is the presence of the uncreated in all created things. St. Patrick
The world is a physical manifestation of God - Eriugena
'the Being on which all being rests' -Alexander John Scott
'God is the Life of life' - George MacLeod
That was great Stephen, but may I know why do you think that knowing Him would make you greater than Him?! And how do you worship and love Him if you really know nothing about Him?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How many of them would you say Bardan? a minority? a small minority? a handful?
the bottom line, the core body of Christians around the world, who do THEY worship?

I would say a minority, i don't how much exactly though.

I guess its complicated for the bigger number of christians because it can also be described in a different way. Meaning that it could be said that its not exactly another god, but rather the same god but with a crucial difference. I mean the similarities are much, and the stories attached to both are also similar in some occasions. But of course there is an obvious and crucial difference between the God that most christians worship and that that Muslims worship.

Last edited:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
How many Christians have not viewed Jesus as God throughout history?
One of the most influential thinkers of CHristianity (in my view) was Pelagius.
He said that believeing in Christ wasn't what is most important. Trying to be like him is.
St.Columba called Christ his druid.
The Cathars had their view of Jesus.

There have been as many views of Jesus as there have been CHristians.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
That was great Stephen, but may I know why do you think that knowing Him would make you greater than Him?! And how do you worship and love Him if you really know nothing about Him?

How could I know God when I am only learning about myself?
I can experience more complexity than I can comprehend.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
One of the most influential thinkers of CHristianity (in my view) was Pelagius.
He said that believeing in Christ wasn't what is most important. Trying to be like him is.
St.Columba called Christ his druid.
The Cathars had their view of Jesus.

There have been as many views of Jesus as there have been CHristians.
That did not really answer my question.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
That did not really answer my question.
LOL
Well it's the best I can do because I can neither count nor interview every Christian throughout history who has not viewded Jesus as God.
BTW it is my view that (from anothe rperspective) Jesus was God - in the same sense you, me and all of creation is a manifestation of God.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
LOL
Well it's the best I can do because I can neither count nor interview every Christian throughout history who has not viewded Jesus as God.
I find it a bit dishonest, because I'm positive all people around the world who are familiar with Christianity, the first thing they know about Christianity is that Jesus is considered the God of the Christians.
BTW it is my view that (from anothe rperspective) Jesus was God - in the same sense you, me and all of creation is a manifestation of God.
Sorry, that's not Christianity, that is New Age. I'm pretty sure this kind of talk would get any Christian on the stake in other period of Christian history.

Renji

Well, Lawrence, if you are a christian do you want to begin telling us about the God you worship?

Well from the basic cathecism of the catholic church, there is only one God who created all things, whether be it on heaven (air), landand water, visible and invisible. This God is powerful, merciful,loving, great provider,forgiving and all embracing. God is one, but has made himself known through three different persons (the trinity). He manifested himself as the Father, the creator of all things. He is the Father of all His creations because this things come from Him. God as the Son, through Jesus Christ, the "word made flesh" as apostle John mentions in the gospel.Through his word, the truth of salvation has been brought to man. And God as the Holy Spirit , the breath of God active at Adam's creation and at Jesus as well. God acts as the guide of every person as the Holy Spirit, telling him to do what is right and avoid what is evil.
God made himself known to man through this three "roles" (or as they term it, persons)

Last edited:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I find it a bit dishonest, because I'm positive all people around the world who are familiar with Christianity, the first thing they know about Christianity is that Jesus is considered the God of the Christians.
I've already offeres Pelagius and the Cathars as evidence - if you take issue with the evidence i've offered please point up what it is.

Sorry, that's not Christianity, that is New Age. I'm pretty sure this kind of talk would get any Christian on the stake in other period of Christian history.

That is a view drawn from the Carmina Gadelica tradition as presented by Newell and others. Hardly 'New Age'.

edit- I forgot to include Spong as evidence re Jesus as God

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I've already offeres Pelagius and the Cathars as evidence - if you take issue with the evidence i've offered please point up what it is.
You ignore the main issue. which is that the core body of Christianity and Christians through out history have considered Jesus God. this is a fact, repeatedly repeating itself through out history. fringe groups are the exception of the rule.
for any individuals you present here, I can bring huge religious institutions, mega churches, conquests around the world supported or inspired by the central religious authorities, inquisitions in which the Christian systems have forced people to profess that Jesus is their god.

That is a view drawn from the Carmina Gadelica tradition as presented by Newell and others. Hardly 'New Age'.
The Carmina Gadelica appeared in the 19th century, you'll be surprised how much of the background for today's New Age has appeared during that century,

Renji

I would say a minority, i don't how much exactly though.

I guess its complicated for the bigger number of christians because it can also be described in a different way. Meaning that it could be said that its not exactly another god, but rather the same god but with a crucial difference. I mean the similarities are much, and the stories attached to both are also similar in some occasions. But of course there is an obvious and crucial difference between the God that most christians worship and that that Muslims worship.

When you said that there are some christians who worship the same God as the Muslims have, are you referring to a particular sect or "christians" individually? Also, can you give significant differences and/or similarities to the God we worship? For example, what do Muslims believe about God?