• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Muslims and Jews worship the same God?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Since we've already tackled the Christians and Muslims debate, and most Muslim answers say no, because Christians believe God became a man and has persons in a Trinity. Jews do not believe this, however. They believe that God is a pure spirit, beyond human definition, and that the only things people can know for certain about God is what the Torah tells us about God.

This leads us to the question- Do Jews and Muslims have the same God?

Nooj

none
I think they believe in the same type of God, a monotheistic one. But their religions make him out to be very different, so no I don't think they do.

Rainbow Mage

I think they believe in the same type of God, a monotheistic one. But their religions make him out to be very different, so no I don't think they do.

I honestly don't see many differences. Maybe you'd like to point some out.

Nooj

none
Most Jewish denominations believe that prophecy stopped at Malachai. Islam believes that the last prophet sent by God was Muhammad. Jews don't believe that the Qur'an is the Word of God, sent by God himself. Muslims do. Jews believe that the Torah is valid. Muslims think it is corrupted. Jews believe that Moses is the greatest prophet. Muslims believe that Muhammad is.

Not all of these are directly relevant to the nature of God himself (I think that they're similar), but it matters what this God did. He can't have done all the things that Judaism and Islam say he did, since they're contradictory.

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

Most Jewish denominations believe that prophecy stopped at Malachai. Islam believes that the last prophet sent by God was Muhammad. Jews don't believe that the Qur'an is the Word of God, sent by God himself. Muslims do. Jews believe that the Torah is valid. Muslims think it is corrupted. Jews believe that Moses is the greatest prophet. Muslims believe that Muhammad is.

Not all of these are directly relevant to the nature of God himself (I think that they're similar), but it matters what this God did. He can't have done all the things that Judaism and Islam say he did, since they're contradictory.

Nooj that's differences in the religions though, not differences in the nature of God. So far you haven't really made a good case they're different gods. Yes it's true Jews believe prophecy ended with Malachi, but many Jews also acknowledge that Muslims do in fact worship the same god.

Rakhel

We also don't believe that Judaism is the one true path to G-d. But I think that has little to do with whether the G-d we worship is the G-d they worship.
Neither group see G-d as having a son, and to be honest I don't know how else they are similar. Most of the arguments now a days are about whether Muhammad was a prophet or not. Little is said about G-d.

Nooj

none
Fair enough. I just think that the God depicted in the two religions do things differently. I would interpret this as the God of the two religions being different. But if you believe that the other religion is wrong but they still worship the same God because all roads lead to God or something like that, that works too.

Rainbow Mage

We also don't believe that Judaism is the one true path to G-d. But I think that has little to do with whether the G-d we worship is the G-d they worship.
Neither group see G-d as having a son, and to be honest I don't know how else they are similar. Most of the arguments now a days are about whether Muhammad was a prophet or not. Little is said about G-d.

Well to my understanding Muslims also have similar religious practices to Jews like daily prayers, dietary laws, etc.

Nooj

none
Religious practices aren't about God though. It's a question of theology or philosophy. Muslims and Jews believe in one God, without partners or parts, an eternal, immaterial and omnipotent and omniscient being, the creator of the world. Sounds the same to me.

arizol

Since we've already tackled the Christians and Muslims debate, and most Muslim answers say no, because Christians believe God became a man and has persons in a Trinity. Jews do not believe this, however. They believe that God is a pure spirit, beyond human definition, and that the only things people can know for certain about God is what the Torah tells us about God.

This leads us to the question- Do Jews and Muslims have the same God?

Jews and Muslims believe in absolutely different G-D.

Debunker

I was told that the Koran list 99 attributes of God. The 99 attributes of God would be like a thimble of water in the Pacific Ocean. That much water could never define the ocean and the Muslim definition of Allah is in the same light. The Christian God is vastly different from the very limited Allah.

Rainbow Mage

I was told that the Koran list 99 attributes of God. The 99 attributes of God would be like a thimble of water in the Pacific Ocean. That much water could never define the ocean and the Muslim definition of Allah is in the same light. The Christian God is vastly different from the very limited Allah.

I wasn't asking about the Christian god, I was asking about the Jewish one.

arizol

What do you base that on?

I think it is pretty simple, can same G-D give not only two different messages but messages that absolutely contradict each other to the level where it brings two to fighting? for example the land of Israel, according to the G-D of the Torah it was given to Jews but according to the G-D of the Quran this is not the case so are view really worshiping same G-D?

The entire purpose of G-d gave the land of Israel to Jews is based on the covenant between Abraham, his descendents and G-D creator of the world, accepting that means that you accept the G-D of the Israelites as the G-D of this world if not then you just simply believe in a different G-D. the entire conflict in the middle east boils down to simply one rule, if you deny that Israel belongs to Jews that G-D gave it to them then you deny that He exists if Arabs believe in the same G-D as Jews then they have to believe the same if not then they just simply believe in a different deity.

Rainbow Mage

I think it is pretty simple, can same G-D give not only two different messages but messages that absolutely contradict each other to the level where it brings two to fighting? for example the land of Israel, according to the G-D of the Torah it was given to Jews but according to the G-D of the Quran this is not the case so are view really worshiping same G-D?

The entire purpose of G-d gave the land of Israel to Jews is based on the covenant between Abraham, his descendents and G-D creator of the world, accepting that means that you accept the G-D of the Israelites as the G-D of this world if not then you just simply believe in a different G-D. the entire conflict in the middle east boils down to simply one rule, if you deny that Israel belongs to Jews that G-D gave it to them then you deny that He exists if Arabs believe in the same G-D as Jews then they have to believe the same if not then they just simply believe in a different deity.

Oh I see, so this is about Zionism. Funny that Jews never minded believing Muslims had the same god before Zionism. I suggest you read the following:

True Torah Jews Against Zionism

J2hapydna

I think one should consider the opinions of Jewish scholars such as Mamonides and other Jewish sages rather than trying to answer this question as a way to vent one's political frustrations. Followers of Islam are and have been usually considered Noachides by many Jewish scholars because they felt Muslims worship the same God as the Jews.

Rainbow Mage

I think one should consider the opinions of Jewish scholars such as Mamonides and other Jewish sages rather than trying to answer this question as a way to vent one's political frustrations. Followers of Islam are and have been usually considered Noachides by many Jewish scholars because they felt Muslims worship the same God as the Jews.

Correct

Flankerl

Well if we talk about g*d then iam one of those that dont believe that muslims pray to the same g*d as we do. And its pretty simple why i believe that.

The g*d in the quran(like the one in the christian bible) seems to be rather funny and not true to his word.
If we assume that the muslim g*d and the jewish one are the same then he must have hit his head pretty hard during those thousands of years while making fun of us.

If g*d is without time and exists during any moment the same he already knows what was going to happen. So he already knew that we jews would alter the TaNaKh before we actually did it. And he obviously also knew that he would change his mind along the way.
He gives us an everlasting convenant while he already knows that he would change his mind and enter the whole Islam thingy with mohammed.
But that would mean that he lied. And thats a big no-no i think. Personally i wouldnt like such a g*d that claims to say the truth while history tells you otherwise.

The same goes for christianity where g*d reintruduced human sacrifice and other various funny stuff that he actually condems.

But of course people are free to believe in whatever they want to. At least in the western world.

Rainbow Mage

I can see why one would think Christians don't have the same god as Jews, but not Muslims. Muslims and Jews both view god the same way, in a purely monotheistic sense.