• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do People Get Personally Insulted By Vegetarianism?

Alceste

Vagabond
Inspired by Kilgore's recent reference to Shaddam IV I am compelled to speak the truth, or my mind as it were. Since I wanted to reassure vegetarians and vegans in this thread that the average omnivore and carnivore, whether human or animal, whether specializing in eating or whether specializing in meat eating doesn't judge them I told Guitar's Cry the truth... every person who visits my house to eat will be offered the food they eat, they are after all guests who are welcomed.
However on the broader philosophical level, vegetarianism or veganism may or may not come from a constructive and informed agenda, just as being someone who does not avoid meat or dairy products may or may not be leading a thought out and sustainable diet.
I never as a rule ask awkward questions from vegans or vegetarians, they are not such a rare creature on the landscape... as they say: 'Some of my best friends are [insert generic class of person]'. As far as I am concerned everyone is free to make their own choices and live the best lives they can. However objectively, neither vegetarianism or veganism are a proof of such an informed way of life. It could be motivated primarily by knee jerk reactionary psychology rather than an extensive several years research (which is really what it should take). For example by the same token people who propagate for alternative fuel use may actually also promote the land grab of defenseless poor groups in foreign land who sit on areas needed to be cultivated for such alternative energy. Avoiding eating meat and attempting to promote forms of agriculture pretty much spells the death of millions of insects, mammals, and reptiles who are going to be shredded by the work done on the fields. There are of course endless factors and examples to consider here, which I doubt any lay person or even a professional is capable of evaluating fully.
As they say... the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

It's not rocket science. The raising of food animals takes up far more land than growing food, so your single objection actually supports vegetarianism over the consumption of meat.

One thing I would recommend to baby vegetarians, though, is this: learn to cook. Don't end up living mainly on pasta, sandwiches and potato products, as I did. After 15 years, I developed a mild wheat or gluten allergy that lasts to this day.

Wherenextcolumbus

One thing I would recommend to baby vegetarians, though, is this: learn to cook. Don't end up living mainly on pasta, sandwiches and potato products, as I did. After 15 years, I developed a mild wheat or gluten allergy that lasts to this day.

OH DAMN!!!
Starts googling veggie cook books

Alceste

Vagabond
OH DAMN!!!
Starts googling veggie cook books

:D I knew I'd catch at least one.

Here's a hot tip: you can start by throwing hemp hearts and / or chia seeds on whatever you happen to be eating anyway. They have a complete amino acid profile, making them a high quality protein source (better than meat), and the fibre content helps regulate your blood sugar by slowing the digestion of starchy food. And they're tasty!

Wherenextcolumbus

:D I knew I'd catch at least one.

Here's a hot tip: you can start by throwing hemp hearts and / or chia seeds on whatever you happen to be eating anyway. They have a complete amino acid profile, making them a high quality protein source (better than meat), and the fibre content helps regulate your blood sugar by slowing the digestion of starchy food. And they're tasty!

I'm not very domesticated, this is going to be a long slow process that will probably take 15 years. :D

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm not very domesticated, this is going to be a long slow process that will probably take 15 years. :D

Yeah, I hear you. I still hate cooking, but I start most days with a killer smoothie that gives me all the nutrients my body needs. After that, I basically eat whatever I want. I have been eating meat for the past few years because we were cooking for my grandmother, who has some very particular ideas about what a meal should be. We're out of that situation now, and we're eating less and less of it. To be honest, I never really took to it.

The smoothie is perfect. Fast, easy, and keeps me going all day. No midmorning or midafternoon energy crashes.

Wherenextcolumbus

Yeah, I hear you. I still hate cooking, but I start most days with a killer smoothie that gives me all the nutrients my body needs. After that, I basically eat whatever I want. I have been eating meat for the past few years because we were cooking for my grandmother, who has some very particular ideas about what a meal should be. We're out of that situation now, and we're eating less and less of it. To be honest, I never really took to it.

The smoothie is perfect. Fast, easy, and keeps me going all day. No midmorning or midafternoon energy crashes.
Yeah I love my fruits. I'm just lazy lol! But I'm definitely going to get on those hemp hearts.

Sees

Dragonslayer
It's not rocket science. The raising of food animals takes up far more land than growing food, so your single objection actually supports vegetarianism over the consumption of meat.

My main goal was to lose 30lbs in a few months to get back to peak shape, have more energy without needing energy drinks or coffee, and get rid of a strange tumor on my back that I was told to have checked out. I was advised to eat real, organic food and do lots of juicing and smoothies on top of it.

Pretty much cook everything or eat raw but no microwaving or meals in a box/can. The first 7 months I actually lost 43 lbs and got stronger, faster than I was 10 years ago with much less exercise lol

Some do a very easy fastfood type of vegetarian or vegan diet but I don't judge it and we all do have different bodies, schedules, etc.

Going to go make a dish right now...

dust1n

Zindīq
Some people do. Then sometimes vegetarians can be insulting. Same for the contrary.

My two favorite restaurants are vegan, but I eat meat basically everyday. Concerning the principle of eating meat (and not factory farm stuff, etc.), I don't see an ethical dilemma.

Knight of Albion

Quite right. At present 70% of global agricultural land is used for raising livestock. (Grazing & growing cereal crops for animal feed).

Global population is predicted to reach 10 billion by 2050 or thereabouts. That's an extra 40% of people requiring an extra 40% more food production. (Let everyone do the maths ... Meat production is totally unsustainable. Even scientists and governments acknowledge this.)

A substantial amount of global grain production is used for animal feed. In fact in the US alone, the amount of grain fed to farmed animals, if used for human consumption instead, is enough to feed 800 million people.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Because it's touted as a superior dietary choice by some experts, people who aren't vegetarian or vegan may take a proclamation as "I'm-better-than-you" attack on their ego. They don't see it as a personal choice.

I see it very differently, since I have found myself doing very poorly on a vegetarian diet after several years of vegetarianism and a couple years of veganism. But I know if I'm asked why I eat meat, depending on if a vegetarian becomes angered over my own choices, it's the same mental process as when the scripts were flipped.

I remember when my vegetarianism angered some meat eaters, and now I find every now and then vegetarians who are angered or disappointed at my food choices now. It's the same moral high-ground of "how could you support the killing of animals?" when I say that it works best for me and my health. Or I'll get some of the same exasperated proselytizing of diet information that is - from what I've found - as reliable as some other dietary advice from professionals.

What you may be experiencing, Mike, is the other side of the argument.

Lots of good advice and interesting information folks!

I've gone back and forth between being vegetarian and an omnivore, and this is the first time I've encountered resistance. That's not to say that it's bickering back and forth, but some people are actually unhappy about our choices. Less happy, in fact than when they found out we are polyamorous, which I find fascinating!

Kerr

My wife (Gentoo, for those who don't know us) and I have been experimenting with vegetarianism. This is an ethical choice based on the environmental hazards and cruelty of industrial animal farming. Gentoo is entirely vegetarian (not vegan), and I will eat meat that has either been ethically raised or harvested (including hunted) or in danger of being wasted.

When we first revealed this new dietary change to our friends, the reactions were varied. Some were positive, some were neutral. But a couple seemed downright insulted by our choice. Now, we expected some negative feedback, but not that anyone would take it personally. One asked us what happened and described how we were no longer as fun, and another mumbled under her breath something about when we change our minds to let her know.

Keep in mind, we aren't preachy at all about it. When asked, we simply state it is a personal ethical choice.

Has anyone else had this experience? Has anyone felt personally insulted by another person's vegetarianism? Why do you think someone would take this kind of news personally?
Interestingly enough, I cannot remember every having this problem. Then again I have been a vegetarian for about 15 years (even though I didnt stop eating fish until I was 18, so depending on how you count it may have been 7 years), and I dont even remember how people reacted when I first made the choice, lol. Dont know why anyone would take this personally. Perhaps its because people like to put other people in mental boxes and categories, so it becomes strange for them when someone "switches box".

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
Interestingly enough, I cannot remember every having this problem. Then again I have been a vegetarian for about 15 years (even though I didnt stop eating fish until I was 18, so depending on how you count it may have been 7 years), and I dont even remember how people reacted when I first made the choice, lol. Dont know why anyone would take this personally. Perhaps its because people like to put other people in mental boxes and categories, so it becomes strange for them when someone "switches box".
Maybe it's a regional thing. I went veggie in Alberta, the Texas of the North, where gorging oneself on inhuman quantities of beef is a matter of nationalistic pride and the preferred food of all virtuous individuals.

Now I live on the West Coast and nobody cares.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When I came to my current workplace about 4 years ago, I was vegetarian, and some co-workers kept telling me my diet is weird at lunch and trying to figure out what it is. I would have told them if they asked, but they kept phrasing it like, "do you have a weird diet?" and I'd say, "no?" and just played it down, letting the subject be dropped. I didn't want to announce it, I just wanted to eat my lunch. For a week or so, usually at lunch it would come up, and they guessed all sorts of incorrect things like gluten free, or various allergies, or if I used to be obese and am now being really careful, etc, until one guy was like, "I got it, you're vegetarian!" and I said, "yeah".

After that, they started telling me about how it's okay to eat meat. I didn't bring it up, and they were defending themselves anyway. Then they asked me all sorts of specific questions, which I don't really mind in theory, but then it comes off as judgmental to them just by answering. For example if they ask why I don't eat meat and I say that I don't want to eat anything from a factory farm, they take it personally. After a month or two, I couldn't believe it, but one guy came right out and said, "You're not eating meat sort of offends me because it makes me feel bad about my own eating of it, and like you're judging me." so I told him, "I don't know what to tell you then. I just want to eat my lunch."

Eventually it stopped, and they got used to me. But I'm always turning down various snacks they offer me like chips and cookies and things, because I rarely eat heavily processed foods or sugary things, and I skip it when the office goes out to a BBQ place and most other restaurants, except for the Thai restaurant and occasionally others.

I added fish to my diet a while back a couple of nights per week, so I'm pescetarian now rather than a vegetarian, but it's all the same to them. In their mind I'm sort of a walking stereotype of a vegetarian, all health conscious and picky and stuff.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
"You're not eating meat sort of offends me because it makes me feel bad about my own eating of it, and like you're judging me."

I like how this just unfolded itself on its own with you just wanting to eat your lunch. :facepalm:

And I think the bolded is what it often boils down to.

Kerr

Maybe it's a regional thing. I went veggie in Alberta, the Texas of the North, where gorging oneself on inhuman quantities of beef is a matter of nationalistic pride and the preferred food of all virtuous individuals.

Now I live on the West Coast and nobody cares.
Very possible. I live in Sweden and the main problem I have is that restaurants and the like dont have as many vegetarian options as I would like, lol.