• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Approve Of Destroying Confederate Monuments?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
In the news....
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article264769574.html
Excerpted...
A North Carolina town watched live online as a bulldozer pushed down its Confederate monument. Mondale Robinson, the mayor of Enfield, North Carolina, took to Facebook to share a livestream as a Confederate monument in the town’s Randolph Park was demolished by a bulldozer on Sunday, Aug. 21. “Yes, sirs! Death to the Confederacy around here,” Robinson said in the video as a bulldozer knocked the monument over. “Not in my town. Not on my watch.”

If you approve of destroying Confederate themed
monuments, do you also approve of the Taliban's
destruction of statues of Buddha? If not, why?
Nope. It's absurd.

Yerda

Veteran Member
In the news....
Excerpted...
A North Carolina town watched live online as a bulldozer pushed down its Confederate monument. Mondale Robinson, the mayor of Enfield, North Carolina, took to Facebook to share a livestream as a Confederate monument in the town’s Randolph Park was demolished by a bulldozer on Sunday, Aug. 21. “Yes, sirs! Death to the Confederacy around here,” Robinson said in the video as a bulldozer knocked the monument over. “Not in my town. Not on my watch.”

If your hometown had a memorial celebrating that time they imprisoned all the redheaded Scottish janitors and made them sing "God save the Queen" every morning you wouldn't be all over that with a deisel-powered-wrecking-machine at the first opporchancity?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Personally, as per what happened here in the UK fairly recently, I'm quite willing to see statues that might be offensive removed from where they sit to be placed in some museum, and with suitable explanations as to why such happened. If left in place, so often they are just reminders of how times were different then, might still cause offence to so many now, and serve no useful purpose in staying there - since by doing so we seem to still applaud them. Even with prominent notices and explanations, they might still be targets for damage too, whereas in a museum this would be less likely. :oops:

Yerda

Veteran Member
"Hey, if you approve of prosecuting teachers who are caught sexually assaulting students then why don't you also approve of the Taliban murdering people who teach girls how to read?"

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I think you're the first to admit that destroying
statues is OK, be they of Buddha or Confederates.
(It's hard to keep track....so many posts to read.)

The destruction of the Buddha statues is OK to the Taliban and not OK to us (apart from you).

The destruction of the Confederate statues is OK to many here and not OK to others.

Symbols symbolize what people want them to symbolize.

"We are good and they are evil" G W Bush

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Is your post is about how ultimately no one
will care about statues that aren't there?
If yes, I'd see that as erasure.
I like my history to be more....
- Public & in your face.
- Not afraid to offend when the history itself was offensive.
- Illuminating regarding the good, the bad, & how it relates to our time.
It's more the practice of Buddhism itself.

It's good to call out the destruction for the act that it is, as they done that, but pointless if that destruction at the same time affects Buddhist practices on a personal level as it defeats the virtue of detachment if it bothers a person on a deep personal level.

The Taliban made their decision regarding Buddha statues.
The politician & community made their decision to bulldoze a statue.
Their reasoning is the same.

Now who's bad at mindreading....& text reading too.

You said it was ok to remove statues that people don't like and have no historical significance. You questioned others for holding his view.

Many people do consider Michael Jackson to be of great cultural importance. It just happens you don't. Yet others are like the Taliban for holding the same opinion you do.

It is a pretty fair judgement that, just like some **** statue of Michael Jackson, a nondescript confederate statue from the 20th century also has insufficient historical significance to justify keeping it in place if most people don't like it.

Saddam Hussein was historically important for Iraq, but do you really expect people whose relatives he killed to retain all of the statues he put up to honour himself?

There are all kinds of utterly abysmal modern statues that relate to historically signifiant events or figures, that doesn't mean every statue itself is historically important must be kept in perpetuity and anyone who disagree is like the Taliban destroying unique aspects of global cultural heritage. Just as it doesn't mean every statue of someone objectionable should be destroyed without question.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If your hometown had a memorial celebrating that time they imprisoned all the redheaded Scottish janitors and made them sing "God save the Queen" every morning you wouldn't be all over that with a deisel-powered-wrecking-machine at the first opporchancity?
I would not.
I'd even want the memorial enhanced
with an explanatory plaque. It's history.
Don't erase it.

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm OK with destroying monuments. Most of them are monuments to greed, stupidity, bigotry, ego, and a host of other unflattering social ideals that the makers were too stupid to recognize as being less than ideal. I not only approve of removing them, but of the public defacing them for a while before removing them. The whole point of those damn things is to stop society from growing beyond them, and moving forward. Most of them have outlived their relevance in only a decade or two.

Maybe we could collect them all up in a big outdoor museum: called, "The Museum of Monuments To What We Once Thought Was So Important, But Now Hopefully Know Better".

Alien826

No religious beliefs
How about if we keep the Confederate statues and declare a national holiday where people would gather to throw rotten fruit and vegetables at them? :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You said it was ok to remove statues that people don't like and have no historical significance. You questioned others for holding his view.
That is a misrepresentation of my posts. To clarify...
Are you claiming there's no historical significance
to Confederate or Buddha statues?

That is a misrepresentation of my posts.

You said:

I would not say that.
Why?
Michael Jackson has no historical significance.
Buddha....the Civil War....slavery....those are
things of great import.

Some people think MJ has historical cultural significance. Agreed? If so, why should we disregard their views, but not yours?

Would you say that every single statue of any historically important person/event, even if a terrible modern statue of a terrible person, should be kept in perpetuity, or would you say we should judge on a case by case basis?

Are you claiming there's no historical significance
to Confederate or Buddha statues?

:handpointdown:

What I said was "Any decision would need to be made on a case by case basis based on the person depicted and the cultural, historical and artistic merits of the statue, not simply "Person X bad".

The idea that not all confederate statues have cultural and historical significance doesn't mean no confederate statues have cultural and historical significance. It's not all or nothing.

What about that do you find objectionable?

QuestioningMind

In the news....
Excerpted...

What a ridiculous comparison. By your logic the German people were wrong to tear down monuments to Nazism after WWII. If a group of Germans had erected statues honoring Hitler 25 years after WWII would present day Germans be wrong to be offended by them and choose to tear them down? And should Iraq should still have a massive statue of Saddam Hussein dominating their capital city?

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Personally, as per what happened here in the UK fairly recently, I'm quite willing to see statues that might be offensive removed from where they sit to be placed in some museum, and with suitable explanations as to why such happened. If left in place, so often they are just reminders of how times were different then, might still cause offence to so many now, and serve no useful purpose in staying there - since by doing so we seem to still applaud them. Even with prominent notices and explanations, they might still be targets for damage too, whereas in a museum this would be less likely. :oops:
Oswald Mosley is a part of British history. Who but a racist would want a statue of him in a public space? It is not to deny his place in our history, it is to deny commemoration.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
What a ridiculous comparison. By your logic the German people were wrong to tear down monuments to Nazism after WWII. If a group of Germans had erected statues honoring Hitler 25 years after WWII would present day Germans be wrong to be offended by them and choose to tear them down? And should Iraq should still have a massive statue of Saddam Hussein dominating their capital city?
Totally this. Hey, let's remind ourselves of our dark period with a series of postage stamps showing likenesses of Goebbels, Himmler and Göring.

Clizby Wampuscat

Problem is, the movement to destroy moments also often is able to re-write history.
I would rather remove the statues that celebrate things that we as a society do not believe in anymore and fight the battle to preserve history. Monuments to civil war battles and such are ok, they commemorate an event, statues of Robert Lee are there to celebrate him.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Some people think MJ has historical cultural significance.
This is mere quibbling.
To raise a recent Michael Jackson statue to the
level of significance given the Civil War, hundreds
of years of slavery, & Buddhism is deflection.