• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Approve Of Destroying Confederate Monuments?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
While I wouldn't compare Buddha and the Confederacy in terms of importance or impact....
It would indeed be an interesting comparison....
Different time spans & influences on religion,
culture, economics, etc.
.....I don't think the statues or monuments should be destroyed. If people have decided that they don't want them displayed in public anymore, put them in a museum where they can remain a piece of our history and serve as a reminder.
Most of the public avoids museums (much to my
annoyance). Public displays are important to
inform the masses. Monuments of another era
often benefit from modern interpretive additions.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Most of the public avoids museums (much to my
annoyance). Public displays are important to
inform the masses. Monuments of another era
often benefit from modern interpretive additions.

Then maybe it's time for a robust push to inform the wider public of the importance of museums as beacons of living history.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Then maybe it's time for a robust push to inform the wider public of the importance of museums as beacons of living history.
We try...oh, how we try.
But museums are a tough sell.
Typically, one must journey there.
But the far more numerous public monuments are
much more accessible because people can just
happen upon them. And they're less overwhelming
than a museum with too many exhibits for the modern
whippersnapper's short attention span.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It all ends up in the dumpster of history, eventually. And that's perfectly OK so long as we keep making more of it. I love art, and I am an artist, but I'm fine with the fact that none of it lasts forever. And even if it did, it's relevance would be lost, anyway. Even now people stand in long lines to view ancient statues that they have no idea what they meant or even what they actually looked like back when they were created. Their time would have been far better spent going to a modern art museum and looking at the art of their own time and culture.

Time edits out everything sooner or later. Change is inevitable. As it should be.
The Art Gallery of Ontario has a great collection of African masks, sculpture, weapons and household goods, that I very much enjoy visiting. The Royal Ontario Museum has collections of art and artifacts from many cultures, both distant and near past, that I also enjoy visiting. My taste doesn't tend to run to modern art so much -- although I don't disdain it, either.

But I am the best arbiter of how my time is better spent, don't you think?

PureX

Veteran Member
This one can stay exactly as it is, where it is.

50023392226_a8c153eb41_b.jpg

PureX

Veteran Member
The Art Gallery of Ontario has a great collection of African masks, sculpture, weapons and household goods, that I very much enjoy visiting. The Royal Ontario Museum has collections of art and artifacts from many cultures, both distant and near past, that I also enjoy visiting. My taste doesn't tend to run to modern art so much -- although I don't disdain it, either.

But I am the best arbiter of how my time is better spent, don't you think?
The question wasn't about how you prefer to spend your time. The question is about public monuments, most of which are not works of art, but works of public propaganda paid for by rich people to promote their selfishness.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You just compared them.
(Beat you to the punch, @Audie.)
Where you see nothing in common, I see this...
Both the Taliban & the ACS (Anti-Confederate-Statue) types
see historical monuments that greatly offend them. Rather
than provide modern interpretive displays of the history,
they prefer to erase them from public view.
I contrasted them.

Anyways you need a scriptural argument: comments from famous American founders or lawyers or philosophers or something like that. Against you are writings like the Ozymandias poem and songs like "Nothing lasts forever" and "All we are is dust in the wind." As you can see script is very powerful, so find some that supports your position. It can be anything: Benjamin Franklin quotes or Abraham Lincoln or Mark Twain. Just find someone famous and clever that people like and quote them on this.

"Scripture is the equivalent of a memorial for rational statements." -- Brickjectivity
There, I have made your argument for you.

There's the crux of the double standard, ie, people
care about their own senses being offended, but
don't about other people's. They lack a universal
standard of dealing with offensive history.
A double standard implies two different standards in the same place, but that is not what this is. This is different standards in different places. In a particular locality people will have one standard, and in another they will have another. You want to have a universal standard of either always destroying all statues or never destroying any. Is that right? Just want to be clear.

It doesn't feel like it matters when someone walks
past a place where there's no memory of a memorial.
They're unaware.
But it does matter when history is forgotten.
You raise an important point. Let me raise one though. There is only so much space. What if space is the consideration? Is it Ok, then, to remove a memorial? You ought to specify under what conditions a memorial should be moved or destroyed if any. What if a hospital is needed, and it is inconvenient to put it anywhere else?

Storage is erasure of history.
If only historians know history, this is insufficient.
The masses should know it, because they are
the ones who vote for leaders.
Can we differentiate between cemeteries and memorials since memorials are installed specifically to be historical landmarks, but gravestones are only for remembering individuals? Are you opposed to getting rid of old cemeteries, too?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I contrasted them.

Anyways you need a scriptural argument: comments from famous American founders or lawyers or philosophers or something like that. Against you are writings like the Ozymandias poem and songs like "Nothing lasts forever" and "All we are is dust in the wind." As you can see script is very powerful, so find some that supports your position. It can be anything: Benjamin Franklin quotes or Abraham Lincoln or Mark Twain. Just find someone famous and clever that people like and quote them on this.

"Scripture is the equivalent of a memorial for rational statements." -- Brickjectivity
There, I have made your argument for you.
You've made someone else's argument.
Not mine.
I don't see the impermanence of material
things as reason to allow their destruction
when they still have utility, ie, teaching history.
A double standard implies two different standards in the same place, but that is not what this is.
The double standard that I see....

Liberals (some):
Destroy Confederate statues because they're offensive.
Don't destroy Buddha statues.
They offend the Taliban, but not us.

Taliban:
Destroy Buddha statues because they're offensive.
We don't care about Confederate statues.
They offend Ameristanian liberals, but not us.
There is only so much space. What if space is the consideration? Is it Ok, then, to remove a memorial? You ought to specify under what conditions a memorial should be moved or destroyed if any. What if a hospital is needed, and it is inconvenient to put it anywhere else?
Space isn't the issue.
But there could be practical concerns. If a statue of
Buddha were in a location where a new highway
must run, that would be a vastly different discussion
from destroying it because it offends Muslims.
Can we differentiate between cemeteries and memorials since memorials are installed specifically to be historical landmarks, but gravestones are only for remembering individuals? Are you opposed to getting rid of old cemeteries, too?
Once again, it seems that my concerns aren't recognized.
I don't propose saving everything as is. I'm addressing
the destruction of things with historical significance
simply for the reason that they offend the masses.

How significant is the cemetery in question?
How compelling is the alternative use for the land?
Do you propose destroying the monuments & corpses
or just moving them?
This really doesn't address the issue in the OP.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Once again, it seems that my concerns aren't recognized.
I don't propose saving everything as is. I'm addressing
the destruction of things with historical significance
simply for the reason that they offend the masses.
Well, then, I think you have a rational point. Destroying History because it is offensive is very tempting though.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
In the news....
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article264769574.html
Excerpted...
A North Carolina town watched live online as a bulldozer pushed down its Confederate monument. Mondale Robinson, the mayor of Enfield, North Carolina, took to Facebook to share a livestream as a Confederate monument in the town’s Randolph Park was demolished by a bulldozer on Sunday, Aug. 21. “Yes, sirs! Death to the Confederacy around here,” Robinson said in the video as a bulldozer knocked the monument over. “Not in my town. Not on my watch.”

If you approve of destroying Confederate themed
monuments, do you also approve of the Taliban's
destruction of statues of Buddha? If not, why?
Buddha was a traitorous **** who fought a war to preserve slavery.
And most Confederate monuments went up as a response to gains in black rights, like the Civil Rights movement that saw another surge of them.
They aren't worth honoring, especially what they are being honored for. Get rid of them.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am a bit late, but like so many others I oppose destroying the statues. Keep them somewhere and label what they are and the real reason why they were erected. It was part of an attempt to "keep the negro in his place". In fact if at all possible they should be consigned to an African American history museum. Somewhere in the basement would seem to be appropriate.

RestlessSoul

In both cases, they destroy statues they find offensive.
You don't see this at all, eh.

The Taliban likely use the same rationale, ie,
the harm done by heinous ideas embodied by
the statues & their history means they must be
destroyed.

That’s false equivalence on a pretty monumental scale (see what I did there?). You do your argument no favours by drawing this fallacious comparison.

This is a contentious issue in the U.K. too. There are statues to slave traders and empire builders, as well as streets, buildings and in the case of Cecil Rhodes a scholarship named after these people. Personally I don’t favour pulling down statues - what’s the point if the attitudes the statues endorse remain unchanged? Some years ago Liverpool City Council took the decision to leave names like Penny Lane (yup, James Penny was a slave trader) in place, but build a museum of slavery to tell the story of that dark chapter in the city’s past.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I am a bit late, but like so many others I oppose destroying the statues. Keep them somewhere and label what they are and the real reason why they were erected. It was part of an attempt to "keep the negro in his place". In fact if at all possible they should be consigned to an African American history museum. Somewhere in the basement would seem to be appropriate.

Yes. You know, I'm thinking that the statues are more analogous to an offensive poster (I mean one stuck to a wall, not someone here) than they are to works of art. A poster that said "Hitler was great" might incidentally be very artistically painted, but I don't think many would object to tearing it down.