• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Believe In God, Why? Don't You Believe In God, Why?

Skywalker

I rest my case.
So when you previously, dogmatically, stated that "lying is wrong, period!", you were actually wrong about that.

So really, you have to acknowledge now that it is indeed as I said: it's contextual. An action that is immoral in scenario A, isn't necessarily immoral in scenario B.

So, the bold dogmatic black and white statement "lying is wrong, period", is false.

Glad we cleared that up.

Except when it isn't, apparently.

Now.... are you absolutely certain that I can't just as easily come up with a scenario where stealing is the right thing to do?

Rules are not based on their exceptions.

Skywalker

Is this your way of admitting that there is nothing immoral about living together without being married, as you previously claimed?

You called it immoral. Remember?

As for the points about slavery and homophobia in the bible, I guess we're just going to ignore all that then?

Homophobia is relating to womanizing, which is behavior that the Bible says is wrong. I'm not I think people living together before marriage is right, but I was agreeing with you saying that couples who live together before marriage get along good.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
What Christian nation executed homosexuals or kept slaves?

Living together before marriage takes away from the specialness of what it means to be married.

I disagree. Living together (and being sexual) is a good way to ensure compatibility, thereby ensuring the marriage will be a good one.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
If I had kids they would still have fully formed organs and not half a heart, and the same would apply to me and my parents.

Yes, just like all intermediate species would have fully functioning hearts. Otherwise they would die off (be selected against).

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
There is very little evidence of those in the fossil record, besides the Tiklaak fish.

Again, simply false. We have a great deal of evidence for the reptile->mammal transition, to the reptile-->bird transition, to the fish-->amphibian transition, and for a wide variety of smaller level transitions.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Mutations changing to natural selection is unlikely at best.

We know things reproduce. We know mutations happen: both positive and negative. We know that many more individuals die before reproducing than manage to reproduce. We know that *which* ones survive depends, in part, on their genetics.

That is enough for natural selection to operate and produce increasing complexity and optimal solutions to structural problems. In other words, it is enough to give the *appearance* of design without there being design.

Skywalker

OK, non-monogamy.

You are right. To form life requires chemistry. And life *is* a complex collection of chemical reactions.

Monogamy was always God's ideal. Abraham and David having many wives was like people getting divorced. It is permissible to God, but not beneficial.

Outside of a lab, what's an example of chemical reactions creating life forms that have been shown to have evolved or show signs of evolution?

Skywalker

No. A law that that people can't live upto, is a bad law. An unjust law. An unfair law.

Right, but aparantly my analogy went way over your head.

Yes, that's the analogy. That's exactly what your god did. This is why he needed to "sacrifice" himself to himself, to find a loophole in a messed up system that he himself is ultimately responsible for. That would actually be a more appropriate understanding of this whole thing... god punishing himself for the mess he created. :D

Then why did you give such as an analogy?
Would you have also said this if I hadn't pointed out the absurdity thereof? I doubt it.

I don't believe there is a god to begin with.
But in context of the story, he clearly didn't become a mortal being.
A mortal being would stay dead.

Jesus didn't stay dead because he resurrected, not as a zombie-like being like Osiris, but as the resurrected prince of glory.

Skywalker

We know things reproduce. We know mutations happen: both positive and negative. We know that many more individuals die before reproducing than manage to reproduce. We know that *which* ones survive depends, in part, on their genetics.

That is enough for natural selection to operate and produce increasing complexity and optimal solutions to structural problems. In other words, it is enough to give the *appearance* of design without there being design.

That doesn't mean that macroevolution is possible, because there are limits to the changes that mutations allow.

It's not possible for populations to develop survival traits without individuals first developng those traits, and those individuals would die before they develop their survival traits.