• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in God?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Well, science is not absolute. So if you are referring to absolute knowledge about the beginning of the universe using science as your epistemology, it's true that we don't have absolute knowledge of "this".
If we don't know whether the universe had a beginning, we don't really know anything except that which we know. For instance, I know when I leave the apartment, I'm not in my apartment.

firedragon

Veteran Member
If we don't know whether the universe had a beginning, we don't really know anything except that which we know. For instance, I know when I leave the apartment, I'm not in my apartment.
Depends on your method or source of knowledge. Are you speaking from a scientific perspective or not? If so, I have already answered this. Science does not work with absolute truths so yes. From that perspective we don't know absolutely.

YoursTrue

Depends on your method or source of knowledge. Are you speaking from a scientific perspective or not? If so, I have already answered this. Science does not work with absolute truths so yes. From that perspective we don't know absolutely.
I'm speaking from -- common sense. The offerings of scientific minds that go from here to there as if they can figure abstruse things out like maybe the universe came from nothing, maybe it didn't, is like going to the layers of one's brain and push around thought cells. In other words, let them play, but it has no truthful consequence or realistic thinking. It's like a game to some.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I'm speaking from -- common sense.
Actually you are not. You are using a scientific approach.

If it's common sense, you should use logical reasoning. Rationalism, phenomenology, natural theology. You can't just make a statement like that like a hand wave. Having a philosophical argument well reasoned out using a good methodology is called epistemic responsibility. Just waving it off without is irresponsible.

Cheers.

YoursTrue

Actually you are not. You are using a scientific approach.

If it's common sense, you should use logical reasoning. Rationalism, phenomenology, natural theology. You can't just make a statement like that like a hand wave. Having a philosophical argument well reasoned out using a good methodology is called epistemic responsibility. Just waving it off without is irresponsible.

Cheers.
I guess whatever you say must be true, right? I'm still in the apartment, at my computer, not floating in midair, my chair is on the floor and I'm happy to say it's not floating up to the ceiling. That's it for me. Take care.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
... is it so difficult or so rare to realize that fairly self-evident facts that:

1. God-beliefs are both artificial and fragile; and

2. Even if they were not, they would still be very unsuitable as cornerstones of anything resembling a functional, constructive, respectable religion?

I swear, sometimes I feel like there can't be anyone above twelve actually believing that god-beliefs are all that important.

YoursTrue

... is it so difficult or so rare to realize that fairly self-evident facts that:

1. God-beliefs are both artificial and fragile; and

2. Even if they were not, they would still be very unsuitable as cornerstones of anything resembling a functional, constructive, respectable religion?

I swear, sometimes I feel like there can't be anyone above twelve actually believing that god-beliefs are all that important.The
The Bible convinced me that it is not artificial and fragile.

PearlSeeker

Well, science is not absolute. So if you are referring to absolute knowledge about the beginning of the universe using science as your epistemology, it's true that we don't have absolute knowledge of "this".

Currently there is no knowledge at all. Just faith based belief. Your OP was about belief based on reason and logic.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The problem I have with the ToE is that there are no substantial facts showing the transition, for one thing, from fish to land dwellers, and yes, that includes the ideas about Tiktaalik as if somehow fish developed air breathing lungs and legs, scientists determining Tiktaalik is the answer.

It has been well established that life forms have evolved, which stands to plain old common sense because all material objects tend to change over time, and genes and dna are material objects. Sure, we don't have all the answers and we never will as new answers tend to lead to new questions. But the general pattern of change over time is quite clear.

Because for one thing, those who do cannot find any fish that have developed legs and air-breathing lungs.

We don't have all the answers to some questions about Jesus, so does that mean Jesus never existed?

Muffled

Jesus in me
My parents were atheists. The difference is in the second - I found grounding in truth in God. The experiences I had were followed by a thread of logic I could accept: If there is a God, then God is loving or not If God is loving there has to be an explanation for suffering and evil. And so forth.
In the discussion of nurture vs nature there is an absence of figuring how much comes from a previous life. As far as I know there isn't a religious gene.

YoursTrue

It has been well established that life forms have evolved, which stands to plain old common sense because all material objects tend to change over time, and genes and dna are material objects. Sure, we don't have all the answers and we never will as new answers tend to lead to new questions. But the general pattern of change over time is quite clear.

We don't have all the answers to some questions about Jesus, so does that mean Jesus never existed?
I understand many think all life forms have evolved, however I no longer believe that way. One reason that comes to mind is the fantastic ability of birds to make their nests. That's just one of so many.
Insofar as all the answers to some questions about Jesus, as you well know, some do actually believe that he never existed. And I'm not just speaking of archaeologists...

YoursTrue

There actually is no evidence that fish developed legs by "natural selection" or "survival of the fittest." The more I think about it, the more interesting animals and their physiology is, but right now I am not in a position to learn more about frogs, etc. That is another reason why I believe only man has the inclination to wonder and think about these things. Including the possibility of eternal life. Religion has done a job on mankind. Man's desire to know is not because his brain is better, larger, etc. But because the idea of learning and living forever is something instilled in us. No matter that many use their intellect to figure there either is no God or that whatever is out there cannot be understood or relied upon, I have found and believe the Bible to be a basic and true source of wisdom and guidance.