• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you consider yourself a minority/majority?

Do you identify under a demographic...

• ... minority

Votes: 24 72.7%
  • ... majority

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Outwardly, I'm prototypical, American "majority:" Straight, white, clean-cut, male. And, I utilize the advantages of these attributes to good effectiveness. Other attributes put me in a minority: I'm non-religious, skeptical, independent-minded, individualistic, articulate, and highly-self educated. I also utilize these advantages to good effectiveness.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram :namaste

Indulge a curiosity of mine, if you will. Do you identify as a minority within your state or nation under demographic attributes which often fall under legal protections (e.g., religion, race, and so forth)? Which ones, if you care to share? What does this status as a minority mean to you, if anything? If you don't identify with a minority, what does your status as a majority mean to you, if anything?

I dont think the status of minority means anything to me , but I suppose I come under that category being one of very few practicing vaisnava , which means I follow a very strict code of practice .

I think it would be fair to say being religious is more or less a minority in this country these days even amongst so called christians .

the majority by far are agnostic and materialy inclined , some how I feel that that puts most truely religious here into the minority . ....?

faith (regardless of which one ) seems to be a minority concern .

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Majority , Islam is the largest religion in Algeria ,and the region .

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
The government sure treats me as a minority. They insist on speaking Swedish to me although I'd be perfectly happy dealing in the main language of the country. Being bi-lingual isn't a big part of my identity, but it's definitely there.

To comment on Quint's thoughts earlier in the thread: I think most people always are in some minority due to ethnic, religious, sexual or other reasons. There are so many minor things that set us apart from the major population, like left-handedness or colour-blindness. That's how it works and I think it's self-evident that people build their identity on what's special about them instead of looking for similarities with the masses. As social individuals we need both to feel good about ourselves. We also naturally look at different things in different situations, depending on whether we want to be in the minority or not. In that sense I think this poll definitely shows more about the personality of people than about their actual role in their societies.

Last edited:

Epictetus

Majority (in Australia):
Caucasian of English descent
Middle class
Can talk about sports
Support a football team (AFL - BL)
Worked in collar and tie all my adult life
Married for 41 years to a member of the opposite sex
Kids and grandkids
How much more majority can you get?

Minority (in Australia):
Hindu philosophy; Buddhist practice
Non-drinker
Don't own a TV set
Don't go to work
Lived in Asia for 21 years
Am trilingual
Returned to Oz late 2012 and now feel like an expatriate in my own country.:D

Government and funding authorities look at people from the outside and decide who belongs to which category based on gender, race, ethnicity, income, etc., but this is an artificial exercise. One can be categorized as "minority" and yet not feel like it or even identify with it. The same goes for those categorized as "majority".

I've never been a fan of Affirmative Action.

marvek32

I don't think that there are any guidelines that power career to mminorities here... Actually, I think I did observed something like that the other day...

Epictetus

Move to Australia. Atheists aren't the majority, but there's enough apatheists that it doesn't matter.

:D True. A recent survey showed that Australians are more likely to recognize a photo of Kim Kardashian than of key Federal Cabinet Ministers (Swan and Garrett, for the Aussies here). :shrug:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
:D True. A recent survey showed that Australians are more likely to recognize a photo of Kim Kardashian than of key Federal Cabinet Ministers (Swan and Garrett, for the Aussies here). :shrug:

To be fair, Kim K is still Kim K (unfortunately for the world). Federal Cabinet Ministers do tend to change.

(And a big welcome to Chris Bowen...lol)

Of course, Aussies should recognize Garrett for his career prior to politics, at least. Had more talent than the whole Kardashian clan combined (apart from the ol' stepdad, perhaps)

[youtube]hgukduYJZ44[/youtube]
Midnight Oil - Short Memory (1983) - YouTube