• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have questions about Traditional Judaism?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Peace be upon you,

I have a question I wish to be answered. So I know there are branches of Judaism & that they don't accept each other as legit.
Basically Orthodox is accepted by everyone, but they don't accept everyone else, is this true? And is it really like that in practice or just in theory? I mean like Orthodoxs walking around telling Reforms they are not real Jews, etc. :D

Thanks in advance.
As rosends well recognizes, I see things differently on this. To me, each branch can dictate its own terms for someone who is interesting in converting into their branch, but I think it's quite presumptuous to say that because someone may not qualify to convert into my branch, whatever that branch may be, that they're somehow not Jewish. It's not a magic show of some type, imo, it's really a matter of commitment to both Judaism and to the Jewish people, whatever branch they may belong to.

Last edited:

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
The vast majority of Jews today are not orthodox - their understanding of Jewish law is different from mine, both in its particular form and in its authority to govern day to day decisions. They would say, though, not that they aren't "keeping the law" but that the law and the acceptable way of being a Jew is more expansive than the Orthodox would dictate.

Nicely, and neutrally, said.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
To me, each branch can dictate its own terms for someone who is interesting in converting into their branch, but I think it's quite presumptuous to say that because someone may not qualify to convert into my branch, whatever that branch may be, that they're somehow not Jewish....

Just about anyone can qualify to convert within/under the auspices of any movement within Judaism.

I think what you were trying to say is that it is presumptuous for someone in one branch of Judaism to say that a person who did not convert under the auspices of that branch is not Jewish, is not a Jew.

Be that as it may, I have to take issue with what you have proposed. I am surprised that you do not see the problems that your approach entails.

metis

I think what you were trying to say is that it is presumptuous for someone in one branch of Judaism to say that a person who did not convert under the auspices of that branch is not Jewish, is not a Jew.
Ya, that, although I think your wording is even more confusing than mine. Are we redoing "Who's on first?".

Be that as it may, I have to take issue with what you have proposed. I am surprised that you do not see the problems that your approach entails.
The only area whereas I see a problem is with the Law of Return, but that really is a separate issue that can rather easily be ameliorated. Is there other area(s) whereas you see problem(s)?

BTW, why this area really hits an emotional note to me is for two reasons. One of them is that the overall nastiest disputes I've seen between Jews at various websites tend to be along the line of who is a "true Jew". The second is our experience with the NAZI's and some other bigoted people/groups in different countries in terms of us being "not true Germans" or "not true ___". Leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth, especially since there really is no concrete division of any type in this area-- it's all rather arbitrary.

Akivah

Peace be upon you,

I have a question I wish to be answered. So I know there are branches of Judaism & that they don't accept each other as legit.
Basically Orthodox is accepted by everyone, but they don't accept everyone else, is this true? And is it really like that in practice or just in theory? I mean like Orthodoxs walking around telling Reforms they are not real Jews, etc. :D

Thanks in advance.

I'm not Orthodox. I have never encountered a Jew that told me that I wasn't a real Jew.

In practice, the biggest difference is that we go to different synagogues. When we all get together and socialize for some event, no one ever asks which denomination each person is.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
1) I'm not Orthodox. I have never encountered a Jew that told me that I wasn't a real Jew.

2) In practice, the biggest difference is that we go to different synagogues.....

1) For many of us the accusation is not that we are not real Jews. The accusation is that we are not practicing real Judaism. However for many others, there is the attitude that they are not real Jews. Putting aside the issue of patrilineal descent, the issue remains that conversions under non-Orthodox auspices are not accepted by Orthodoxy as valid conversions, at least far as I know. If I am wrong someone will correct me.

2) I wish it were so simple.

metis

1) For many of us the accusation is not that we are not real Jews. The accusation is that we are not practicing real Judaism.
But it also relates to whether one is a "Jew" when it comes to conversions that are not accepted by a branch(es).

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
But it also relates to whether one is a "Jew" when it comes to conversions that are not accepted by a branch(es).

Yeah, that's why there was a sentence after the first one.

This what happens when you head up north without your reading glasses....or you forget that they're on your forehead. I guess that happens when you are very ol....mature.

metis

Yeah, that's why there was a sentence after the first one.

This what happens when you head up north without your reading glasses....or you forget that they're on your forehead. I guess that happens when you are very ol....mature.
I can't help it-- my head is frozen.

Akivah

1) For many of us the accusation is not that we are not real Jews. The accusation is that we are not practicing real Judaism. However for many others, there is the attitude that they are not real Jews. Putting aside the issue of patrilineal descent, the issue remains that conversions under non-Orthodox auspices are not accepted by Orthodoxy as valid conversions, at least far as I know. If I am wrong someone will correct me.

2) I wish it were so simple.

Well ok, so I papered over some internal issues. In the US, the denomination differences matter far less than in Israel.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Well ok, so I papered over some internal issues. In the US, the denomination differences matter far less than in Israel.
I'm surprised to hear that you think that you have the right (or moral authority) to determine what matters. For many of us the demonization of the Progressive, Conservative, and Reform movements by influential elements of the Israeli Rabbinate matters a great deal.

jaybird

i read that Solomon could talk to animals. also plants / trees. how did that work? or what are your thoughts on it?

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
With trees, their bark is bigger than their bite.

This what you get when you plant the seed of an idea in a retired anthropologist and it takes root. He decides to turn over a new leaf and branch out!

Your move.

metis

This what you get when you plant the seed of an idea in a retired anthropologist and it takes root. He decides to turn over a new leaf and branch out!

Your move.
But at least I'm not the root of all evil!