• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Know Why You Don't Believe?

Super Universe

Defender of God
Dude.

I'm fifty years old. Just 50. Only 50. Yet...50. So what?

Your continued evasion stands--as uncomfortably recorded--within this forum...all ad hominem allusions and insinuations not withstanding.

Let's recall for your own benefit that you instigated this thread, and proposed the OP question.

Again, for the third time, I tell you that your (prepositionally) challenging inquiry HAS been ANSWERED...and you have both deflected and ignored that consummately provided answer henceforth...most inelegantly.

Will you not answer, or can you not?

Inquiring minds and lurkers would like to know...

Whither shall we look to the validations of your proffered insights and wisdom?

In your accumulated years?

In your unique insights?

In your tactical implementations of evasion and escape?

Within some archaic texts of mixed metaphors and insistent claims of informed "knowledge?

What feeds your ego of certainty and insistence? What?

So far, the substance of you position seems to be rooted within the self-serving assertion that you "know better" than the rest of us wayward fools and children.

Perhaps that is so...perhaps not.

As Missourians are famously noted to say..."Don't tell me, show me."

C'mon, Mister "Super Universe"...enlighten us all with your sage wisdoms and enlightened truths begat of the years of experience and deliverance, available to only but the most aged and tested of we mortal humans...like you.

Be the prophet of unique revelation you were born to sell to the masses of the great unwashed, young and old alike.

Or, in the meantime, perhaps you might muster the temerity and courage to succinctly answer the lesser "trivialties" of those most discomfiting challenges upon the claims you espouse as truth, especially amongst us most severely unenlightened mortals?

I promise that I won't characterize you as "too old" to appreciate or understand five decades of life experience as exemplar for myself. I promise that I will only fairly criticize the value/merit of the arguments you present as being either supportive, or as validation of, the "truths" you care to share as being undeniable and universal in application and interpretation.

What's left to settle? What do you still want to debate? You don't have to believe. Get over it.

I "instigated" this thread? Hehe... So that is an instigation now?

From what I remember, no one answered the question sufficiently. All I got was "I see no reason to believe" as if you need absolute proof for everything when there are so many things that you trust (cars, homes, bridges, airplanes, gravity, food, people...) without knowing the full background of.

I would be a sorry sort if I felt that I had to validate myself to you. In the grand scheme of things, who are you? In the ungrand scheme of things, who are you? Zero is still zero regardless of the changing weather.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Put it into practice how? By allowing people to misrepresent God? Nope. Not gonna happen.

Wouldn't that imply that you're right about God?

Maybe I can't change your view but your view isn't the only one.

You shouldn't be trying to change anyone's view if you believe the quote I took from you. You said that no one's right and no one's wrong, so why do you contradict that by claiming you're right?

Super Universe

Defender of God
A man eats rice for lunch and dinner every day. For him it provides sustenance. Another man tries to eat the rice but it makes him sick.

Is the rice good or bad?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
A man eats rice for lunch and dinner every day. For him it provides sustenance. Another man tries to eat the rice but it makes him sick.

Is the rice good or bad?

Riiiight? Yes, everything is relative, which is why no one's right and no one's wrong, and yet you try to tell people that you're right and they're wrong. So, maybe you can explain why that is now.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
From what I remember, no one answered the question sufficiently.
You mentioned earlier that you require "a powerful vision or some other moving event" to change your belief. If you lack that external stimulus, your belief won't change. Is ego responsible for this, or perhaps the lack of the necessary stimulus, or the recognition of it? Perhaps nonbelievers have not had the "powerful vision or some other moving event" required to alter beliefs. This is not ego alone, as the OP implies. Belief is a more complicated proposition than mere ego can account for.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
From what I remember, no one answered the question sufficiently. All I got was "I see no reason to believe"

You asked the question but don't like our answer. That's on you. I say there is no reason to believe. I also said you may have your reasons but your reasons aren't mine. You believe in a god....Which one? There seems to be thousands within the religions on the planet. Do you believe the gods of other religions to be just as valid of a deity as the one you speak of? If you don't can you share with us the "reason" why you believe this. If you do can you share with us the reason why you believe this??
as if you need absolute proof for everything

On the surface I may ask...for "evidence" of "your" deity but I know you have none. Having no evidence is not a bad thing.....it just means you have no evidence.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Riiiight? Yes, everything is relative, which is why no one's right and no one's wrong, and yet you try to tell people that you're right and they're wrong. So, maybe you can explain why that is now.

If a man says to people that my children are evil while I know that they are good, why can I not tell people what I know? Neither opinion proves a thing. People have to decide for themselves.

Decide for yourself. Whichever one you choose will not change the universe.

Super Universe

Defender of God
You mentioned earlier that you require "a powerful vision or some other moving event" to change your belief. If you lack that external stimulus, your belief won't change. Is ego responsible for this, or perhaps the lack of the necessary stimulus, or the recognition of it? Perhaps nonbelievers have not had the "powerful vision or some other moving event" required to alter beliefs. This is not ego alone, as the OP implies. Belief is a more complicated proposition than mere ego can account for.

I am very easy going and an extremely humble man, on the surface. Only when you test me will you find strong resolve, assurance, a willfull spirit, and a strident "get things done" attitude that some might call ego.

I have no doubt that non-believer's have not had a powerful vision or some other moving event. They are supposed to be what they are. The whole purpose of the earth is to provide as much free will as possible and knowing that God exists would hinder this to some degree but there is a resource available to all. Each of us has a soul, it's been referred to as our Guardian Angel even though it isn't an angel at all, it is a fragment of God that attach's to us to experience life.

The soul loves choice. It acts as the little devil on one should and the little angel on the other. It wants to see what you will do. Will you be selfish or will you sacrifice for the good of the universe? If you make a poor choice your soul acts as a conscience in the hope that you will learn and become mature so that it can bond with your personality forever. If you ignore your conscience it will become quiet and your soul will leave you after death.

Also, all of the knowledge in the universe is available to all, you just have to work for it, you have to think about it, you have to solve the previous problems and understand their cause. Then, one day, it will be like a light turning on. The solution will flow into you because you have asked for it and deserve it.

This is what I wish to stimulate.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
I have no doubt that non-believer's have not had a powerful vision or some other moving event. They are supposed to be what they are.
In the OP, you made this assertion:
Now the key question, where would you rate your own ego as a reason and do you realize it's the main reason?
Are you saying that "they are supposed to be what they are" is the same as ego being the main reason?

Super Universe

Defender of God
You asked the question but don't like our answer. That's on you. I say there is no reason to believe. I also said you may have your reasons but your reasons aren't mine. You believe in a god....Which one? There seems to be thousands within the religions on the planet. Do you believe the gods of other religions to be just as valid of a deity as the one you speak of? If you don't can you share with us the "reason" why you believe this. If you do can you share with us the reason why you believe this??

On the surface I may ask...for "evidence" of "your" deity but I know you have none. Having no evidence is not a bad thing.....it just means you have no evidence.

There's no reason not to believe is an equal premise. Why does one choose either?

Which God do I believe in? How many names has water had in the entire history of man? How many names does it have now? Has the water changed because of the names?

My evidence of God is this. Close your eyes. Step outside at night, then open them. "Taddah!"

Super Universe

Defender of God
In the OP, you made this assertion:Are you saying that "they are supposed to be what they are" is the same as ego being the main reason?

Ego, personality, anger, jealousy... Every emotion possible can alter your view of something.

Have you ever known someone who was bitter and negative about everything? They feel that they have lost in life. It beat them and they have no more fight left inside. They don't see that the flowers on the side of the road are there just for them.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
There's no reason not to believe is an equal premise. Why does one choose either?

If you have a reason to believe then great for you. But as you know....your last response below is not a convincing reason to me to believe in your deity. Note: I said not convincing to me. You may be able to sell to some one else.....

Which God do I believe in? How many names has water had in the entire history of man? How many names does it have now? Has the water changed because of the names?

Yea....that answered my question.....:rolleyes:

My evidence of God is this. Close your eyes. Step outside at night, then open them. "Taddah!"

And all you will see are stars.......maybe the moon....maybe some clouds.....nothing more/nothing less....:sarcastic

Super Universe

Defender of God
[/size]

If you have a reason to believe then great for you. But as you know....your last response below is not a convincing reason to me to believe in your deity. Note: I said not convincing to me. You may be able to sell to some one else.....

Yea....that answered my question.....:rolleyes:

And all you will see are stars.......maybe the moon....maybe some clouds.....nothing more/nothing less....:sarcastic

I didn't convince you that God exists? Darn, and I wanted that so much so that, um, what exactly would would it do for the world if you believed?

I can sell the universe? Wow, how much do you think I can get for it?

All you will see in the night sky are stars? Take a block of stone. Most people just see stone but some might see a Pieta. Just stars, a moon, and clouds huh?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
If a man says to people that my children are evil while I know that they are good, why can I not tell people what I know? Neither opinion proves a thing. People have to decide for themselves.

Decide for yourself. Whichever one you choose will not change the universe.

So, which is it: you know that your God exists, or you believe your God exists? In your example you say you know that your children are good, which means you're claiming to be right and someone else is wrong. That is the opposite of when you said that no one is right and no one is wrong in the case of God.

Sententia

The reason you see that as an argument is you have been conditioned to believe that God not only exists but he also created everything.

This is:
  • A conditioned response.
  • A personal belief you have
There is no evidence to support your belief.

On the contrary when someone says the sun exists you can actually feel the warmth of the sun and every day there it is. We know about solar flares, how to harness energy from it and how its gravitational fields work. We can even estimate how long it will be there.

When I walk outside I see carbon based life forms that are a product of the environment not of an extraneous god. That particular intellectual crane is wearing down and though I am sure people will continue to use to explain everything they don't understand for centuries to come I know many also will deny it and actually find out.

Have you ever asked a question you didn't think you already had the answer to? You began this thread with Why do you not believe in god and do you know its because you have an ego and it must be quite huge to deny something as obvious as god and expect a visit from the almighty! Quite an insult thrown about in a thinly vieled few set of words.

Super Universe

Defender of God
So, which is it: you know that your God exists, or you believe your God exists? In your example you say you know that your children are good, which means you're claiming to be right and someone else is wrong. That is the opposite of when you said that no one is right and no one is wrong in the case of God.

I know God exists more than anything. It is first, everything else I know comes afterwards.

Being right does not mean that another is wrong. Take the example of my kids being good but a man believes they are evil, what if the man believes my kids are evil because they threw rocks at his dog and I knew nothing about it?

To the man, the kids might be evil, to me, they are good and just being kids.

Super Universe

Defender of God
The reason you see that as an argument is you have been conditioned to believe that God not only exists but he also created everything.

This is:
  • A conditioned response.
  • A personal belief you have
There is no evidence to support your belief.

On the contrary when someone says the sun exists you can actually feel the warmth of the sun and every day there it is. We know about solar flares, how to harness energy from it and how its gravitational fields work. We can even estimate how long it will be there.

When I walk outside I see carbon based life forms that are a product of the environment not of an extraneous god. That particular intellectual crane is wearing down and though I am sure people will continue to use to explain everything they don't understand for centuries to come I know many also will deny it and actually find out.

Have you ever asked a question you didn't think you already had the answer to? You began this thread with Why do you not believe in god and do you know its because you have an ego and it must be quite huge to deny something as obvious as god and expect a visit from the almighty! Quite an insult thrown about in a thinly vieled few set of words.

How exactly have I been "conditioned"?

There is no evidence to support your disbelief.