• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Know Why You Don't Believe?

Super Universe

Defender of God
Yes, it is the way things are, and it is not the work of a supreme being. I will work for a better world, but not under the delusion that it was created by some supreme intelligence. That was the point, right? Not to prove how the world is or is not, but whether or not the way it is is the result of a supreme being? I thought you'd remember what the point of our argument was since you started the thread, but I'm glad to remind of the real point, instead of letting you continue with this ad hominem attack.
But it is the work of some Supreme Being. And this thread is my work. And there is nothing you can do about either of them, is there? I wonder how many more things you are powerless to protect, and to fix? Maybe everything? Yes, then you should be eternally negative. It fits.

Tau

But it is the work of some Supreme Being. And this thread is my work. And there is nothing you can do about either of them, is there? I wonder how many more things you are powerless to protect, and to fix? Maybe everything? Yes, then you should be eternally negative. It fits.

That statement is not conducive to the greater good, surely you want to encourage, not make hasty judgements that seem a little churlish..

Super Universe

Defender of God
That statement is not conducive to the greater good, surely you want to encourage, not make hasty judgements that seem a little churlish..

Why would I want to encourage laziness? He doesn't want to have to work for anything, he wants it all given, as a gift from God, completely undeserved. As if the universe, the earth, and his life are not enough?

And the thing is, what do any of these people know about the universe? They can't even figure out gravity and they have the nerve to question God's motives? They have an entire world and free will and they complain about not being rich?

Too many humans don't deserve half as much as they already have.

Tau

Why would I want to encourage laziness? He doesn't want to have to work for anything, he wants it all given, as a gift from God, completely undeserved. As if the universe, the earth, and his life are not enough?

And the thing is, what do any of these people know about the universe? They can't even figure out gravity and they have the nerve to question God's motives? They have an entire world and free will and they complain about not being rich? Too many don't deserve half as much as they already have.

Well the thing is you see I havent read all 89 plus pages and don't intend to so I couldn't possibly comment on content, what I can say is however is that you need honey to catch bees...if you get my meaning.

I am not particularly nice you see, i tend to think that this world might be a better place if humanity was wiped from it, it might be for the best, but I shall endeavor to do what I can to prevent it, what the hell it might turn out ok, for the greater good.

I remain your reluctant ally....

Super Universe

Defender of God
Well the thing is you see I havent read all 89 plus pages and don't intend to so I couldn't possibly comment on content, what I can say is however is that you need honey to catch bees...if you get my meaning.

I am not particularly nice you see, i tend to think that this world might be a better place if humanity was wiped from it, it might be for the best, but I shall endeavor to do what I can to prevent it, what the hell it might turn out ok, for the greater good.

I remain your reluctant ally....

Sometimes honey also attracts bears.

If humanity was wiped from the earth then there would be no reason for the earth to exist. We're not supposed to be perfect. We're supposed to desire perfection and become willing to do everything possible to gain it. That does not happen when things are already that way.

Tau

If humanity was wiped from the earth then there would be no reason for the earth to exist. We're not supposed to be perfect. We're supposed to desire perfection and become willing to do everything possible to gain it. That does not happen when things are already that way.

What?

You think humanity is the zenith of creation?

O dear o dear...I am sorry to say the human species is just a transitionary phase of eternal DNA.

But I concur with your secondary points..I think.

Humans are not the be all and end all, far from it.

Super Universe

Defender of God
What?

O dear o dear...I am sorry to say the human species is just a transitionary phase of eternal DNA.

But I concur with your secondary points..I think.

Humans are not the be all and end all, far from it.

Yeah, right. They can't even figure out their own personalities, what makes them angry and what makes them sad. They look up at billions of galaxies and think it's all empty and write Star Trek stories where they have the supreme technology in the universe. If there was such a thing as a race for technology they lost it before they were even invented.

Humanity is just a waypoint. Still, the earth was not created just for bacteria, plant life, and animals, there has to be a sentient biological life form that attracts a soul. That is the main purpose of the life worlds.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
How trivial...

Ever the actor, without award, s2a turns a comedy into a drama and acts out a vain appeal to back track an already discussed and long ago buried era of thought. He avoids reading from the script and stumbles about in his attempt to create a play, his play, but he is not that original or intriguing to the playmaster, just a child who fingerpaints on your car windshield.

You're not the playmaster, I am, and you still haven't answered the original question. Do you know why you don't believe?

Pray thee then, O' "playmaster", why wouldst thee pretend that this reply does not exist, nor succinctly answer in full, your proposed inquiry?

Trivialities, you say?

Claims of any existent deity/god/supernatural entity; are the most ordinary, commonplace and substantively insignificant assertions afforded in a modern world. See: "trivial".

Your OP is legitimate, and deserving of considered reply.

Your deflections, denials, and inelegant dismissals...are not.

ASKED, and ANSWERED (as requested).

Next?

C'mon.

What you got, deep down inside...O' "playmaster" of kindergarten sandboxes?

Only a fool would presuppose to proclaim victory whilst in the midst of retreat and defeat.

"I pretend that your arguments and answers are invalid/unresponsive, therefore--tactically--I win!"

Fortunately...not everyone is as stupid and uniformed as you would wish then to be, nor compliant in choosing to "paint" then as childish and facile.

I will please myself to consistently reference and link my commentary/rebuttal (as tendered above), until you either respond/reply accordingly, or you die of natural causes...whichever comes first.

C'mon "playmaster"..."play" me and paint me the buffoon...in oils.

Or, just skulk away...in wistful (albeit faithful) righteous contemplation that you have tendered all you have to offer...and satisfy yourself that your vanity prevails...

Super Universe

Defender of God
No, but this guy thinks he is.
Pray thee then, O' "playmaster", why wouldst thee pretend that this reply does not exist, nor succinctly answer in full, your proposed inquiry?

Trivialities, you say?

Claims of any existent deity/god/supernatural entity; are the most ordinary, commonplace and substantively insignificant assertions afforded in a modern world. See: "trivial".

Your OP is legitimate, and deserving of considered reply.

Your deflections, denials, and inelegant dismissals...are not.

ASKED, and ANSWERED (as requested).

Next?

C'mon.

What you got, deep down inside...O' "playmaster" of kindergarten sandboxes?

Only a fool would presuppose to proclaim victory whilst in the midst of retreat and defeat.

"I pretend that your arguments and answers are invalid/unresponsive, therefore--tactically--I win!"

Fortunately...not everyone is as stupid and uniformed as you would wish then to be, nor compliant in choosing to "paint" then as childish and facile.

I will please myself to consistently reference and link my commentary/rebuttal (as tendered above), until you either respond/reply accordingly, or you die of natural causes...whichever comes first.

C'mon "playmaster"..."play" me and paint me the buffoon...in oils.

Or, just skulk away...in wistful (albeit faithful) righteous contemplation that you have tendered all you have to offer...and satisfy yourself that your vanity prevails...

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

But it isn't the work of a Supreme Being. There is nothing that leads conclusively to this belief. What is with the "you can't do anything about it" reasoning? I'm not trying to change anything, I'm trying to get you to understand that a supreme being is not a necessity in this universe, and some interpretations of such a thing are completely illogical and so unbelievable to me.

The argument "This is the way it is, and there's nothing you can do about it" is not only ridiculous and irrelevant, but also childish, illogical and unproductive.

Super Universe

Defender of God
But it isn't the work of a Supreme Being. There is nothing that leads conclusively to this belief. What is with the "you can't do anything about it" reasoning? I'm not trying to change anything, I'm trying to get you to understand that a supreme being is not a necessity in this universe, and some interpretations of such a thing are completely illogical and so unbelievable to me.

The argument "This is the way it is, and there's nothing you can do about it" is not only ridiculous and irrelevant, but also childish, illogical and unproductive.

You're trying to get me to see that a Supreme Being is not a necessity?

So you live in a house that no one built?
You eat food that no one delivered?
You wear clothes that no one sewed?

They must just magically form themselves that way. How convenient for you? But now you want these things to also stop humans from doing bad things?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Hehe, what real debate? If a ten year old child wants to pick a fight with a grown man, what should the grown man do?

I don't know why you want to pick a fight with me, but I'm trying to show you how grown-ups think and act. Once you stop acting like a ten-year-old maybe you'll understand.

Super Universe

Defender of God
I don't know why you want to pick a fight with me, but I'm trying to show you how grown-ups think and act. Once you stop acting like a ten-year-old maybe you'll understand.

Well if you'd slow down you would notice that the quote was about s2a, not you.

And I'm probably twice your age there bud.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You're trying to get me to see that a Supreme Being is not a necessity?

They must just magically form themselves that way. How convenient for you? But now you want these things to also stop humans from doing bad things?

Again, you're confusing yourself. I don't want anything to stop humans from doing bad things. I'm fine with the universe as it is. You're also confusing the signs. When you stop thinking of the universe as a creation, you'll be able to see the other side. Think of it more like a stone chair than a house. A stone chair can work just as well as a cloth one. A stone chair can also be created by unintelligent forces of nature. The universe is like that stone chair, and can be created by unintelligent forces.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Well if you'd slow down you would notice that the quote was about s2a, not you.

And I'm probably twice your age there bud.

I know who it was to. I was responding because I thought it would be good who was the ten-year-old and who was the grown man in the analogy, since you seem to be confused about that.

And, physical age is not what I'm talking about. ;)

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
What is the reason you don't believe in God? Or the reason you're not absolutely positively sure God exists?

Because religion leaves me with more questions than answers. I'd like to believe 100% but I find there are too many problems with it.

Now the key question, where would you rate your own ego as a reason and do you realize it's the main reason?

That's a very presumptuous question. My ego doesn't rate high on my reasons for not fully believing. My problem is that I'm supposed to believe in illogical tales from thousands of years ago for which there is no evidence. I'd hardly call that a problem with my ego.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

I see where you are trying to go with this but wouldn't it be fair to say that we have evidence on who built the house? All of the components of the house can be traced back to their source.

Correct....but there, again, is sufficient evidence to show who delivered it. If I find fault in the food I can go to the source. There is no evidence to show the existence of a source/creator.

Yes...."LEVI", "GAP", "CALVIN KLEIN".......If these companies are producing inferior product I need look no further than the source.

They must just magically form themselves that way.

History has shown that there are a lot of things we never had the answers for but we discovered those answers. Now do we know the answer to everything....? NOPE.....Are we still discovering answers to questions we had or have?....YEP.... Does this mean...because we can't answer them there must be a higher power involved?....NOPE....

The kicker, to me, is that we argue and debate over the existence of said higher power but none of us, at this point in time, can prove nor disprove the existence of it.

If we have answered your question as to why we don't believe then shouldn't that be sufficient or are you simply fishing...trying to find a flaw in the logic we use to reach this conclusion?

A simple answer we can give you is..."I don't believe in gods because their is no reason to."....."A god is not a necessity."

But now you want these things to also stop humans from doing bad things?

We'd all like to "just get along" with each other but such is not the nature of man.