• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Know Why You Don't Believe?

Super Universe

Defender of God
[/size]

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I had to spell it out for you. Parents don't have a choice in the world into which they bring their kids. They can choose not to be parents, but if they want to be parents, they have to bring kids into this world that we have.

I guess it's hard for you to think outside the box, huh? So, this earth's existence is no more important than a game's existence? You're only thinking of how things are. If I was an omnipotent God, I could make it so that people could all play a game and everyone would win. I could make it so that people didn't have to die, or make death different and make it just a change. I could do anything, and I wouldn't be constricted by the way things work in the world we know, because the world we know would not exist. The point is you're only thinking of things through the way they already work, and I'm talking about changing the basic way they work so that they don't even resemble what we already know.

Oh please do me a favor and spell it out for me. You know how uneducated and unaccomplished us theists are.

Is poor lil baby boy in need of a nap and getting grumpy? Can't handle the discussion? Boo hoo... If you can't handle it, they why participate?

You would make it so everyone wins huh? And what would each learn then? They would think that no effort is necessary. They would be lazy and not try to solve problems because there wouldn't be any. They would accomplish nothing because they wouldn't have to. You just don't get it, the universe is not a gift for you to enjoy in supreme splendor. It's like an expanding nation that needs civil workers to help in it's growth.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Oh please do me a favor and spell it out for me. You know how uneducated and unaccomplished us theists are.

Is poor lil baby boy in need of a nap and getting grumpy? Can't handle the discussion? Boo hoo... If you can't handle it, they why participate?

You would make it so everyone wins huh? And what would each learn then? They would think that no effort is necessary. They would be lazy and not try to solve problems because there wouldn't be any. They would accomplish nothing because they wouldn't have to. You just don't get it, the universe is not a gift for you to enjoy in supreme splendor. It's like an expanding nation that needs civil workers to help in it's growth.

Um...I can handle it, which is why I've actually responded to all of your questions. Can you say the same? It's not because you're a theist, it's because you don't seem to understand the points made by others.

Why not just make it a place to enjoy? To you they would accomplish nothing, but they could be better off than we are now without having to work for it. Again, you're thinking of things i=only in terms of how they currently work. Everything could be different, even the laziness and problem-solving part.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Um...I can handle it, which is why I've actually responded to all of your questions. Can you say the same? It's not because you're a theist, it's because you don't seem to understand the points made by others.

Why not just make it a place to enjoy? To you they would accomplish nothing, but they could be better off than we are now without having to work for it. Again, you're thinking of things i=only in terms of how they currently work. Everything could be different, even the laziness and problem-solving part.

Why not just make it a place to enjoy? I guess you missed the flowers and trees and ocean surf?

Humans could be better off not having to work? Yeah, sounds like something I'd hear from a lazy homeless person. If the entire universe wanted to meet your every whim I guess it could be. Personally, I enjoy learning, achieving, and accomplishing things. It's better than having it given undeserved.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Why not just make it a place to enjoy? I guess you missed the flowers and trees and ocean surf?

Humans could be better off not having to work? Yeah, sounds like something I'd hear from a lazy homeless person. If the entire universe wanted to meet your every whim I guess it could be. Personally, I enjoy learning, achieving, and accomplishing things. It's better than having it given undeserved.

Again, it's only undeserved by our standards. We could be better beings than we are now, and have a "perfect" world, too. You're still thinking of it from a perspective assuming things work the way they do currently. I enjoy those things too, but I'd rather just have them without the bad stuff, which is possible, just not in the universe we inhabit currently.

I do enjoy the trees and oceans and stuff, but they are not the only things in life.

Nessa Nenharma

Goddess of my Domain
I choose to believe in a God and just as equally a Goddess. I don't like to think that we are here for nothing and no purpose, and that when we die we cease to exist. I also can't fathom believing that there is one God that would seek out his wrath upon people who commited no crime other than being born. I think we have consequences to our actions while we are alive here on Earth.

Kcnorwood

I do not believe that a God would create evil & then want to save us from it. The fact that life can come from a single male deity makes no sence to me, there is no balance in that. As a ex-Christian I never felt his presence nor anything else. When those who call thenselves Christians can not agree on what is doctrine how can others believe in God? There is something wrong about someone blaming someone or something that no one can see or hear. Satan is just a poor excuse. You make a choice to do things right or wrong.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Again, it's only undeserved by our standards. We could be better beings than we are now, and have a "perfect" world, too. You're still thinking of it from a perspective assuming things work the way they do currently. I enjoy those things too, but I'd rather just have them without the bad stuff, which is possible, just not in the universe we inhabit currently.

I do enjoy the trees and oceans and stuff, but they are not the only things in life.

You'd rather have the good things without the bad things? Great, then fix it. The earth is YOUR planet, isn't it? Humans are YOUR species, aren't they? Oh, but you shouldn't have to, right? God should fix your brother's problems to make it so you can have it easy. You're still thinking it should all be about you.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You'd rather have the good things without the bad things? Great, then fix it. The earth is YOUR planet, isn't it? Humans are YOUR species, aren't they? Oh, but you shouldn't have to, right? God should fix your brother's problems to make it so you can have it easy. You're still thinking it should all be about you.

If the Christian God is the true one, then it is all about humans. You have also said it's all about us in quotes that you refuse to explain because they contradict this particular argument of yours. And, yes, a loving, omnipotent God would make things easy and perfect for everything, that way all of us humans would be perfectly happy, and so would the rest of creation.

You're still missing the point. Think about it in the way that everything is different, that goals are achieved not through hard work, but by other means. People gain the knowledge and experience of things without having to put in all of the work, and go through suffering. People still come out better people than humans are currently, but without having to go through all of the crap. The Christian God could accomplish this, but apparently has chosen not to.

Super Universe

Defender of God
If the Christian God is the true one, then it is all about humans. You have also said it's all about us in quotes that you refuse to explain because they contradict this particular argument of yours. And, yes, a loving, omnipotent God would make things easy and perfect for everything, that way all of us humans would be perfectly happy, and so would the rest of creation.

You're still missing the point. Think about it in the way that everything is different, that goals are achieved not through hard work, but by other means. People gain the knowledge and experience of things without having to put in all of the work, and go through suffering. People still come out better people than humans are currently, but without having to go through all of the crap. The Christian God could accomplish this, but apparently has chosen not to.

What is the size of the universe? Isn't it so gigantic that even with Star Trek technology we still couldn't visit the other side of our own galaxy? And there are billions of galaxies. Billions. Human selfishness is extreme. We think it's all about us, or should be all about us, when it should be obvious that it's not.

There is no Christian god and Muslim god and Mormon god. There's just One Supreme Being and many different people trying to give Him a name and understand Him. God is not easy, humans have a long ways to go.

To the self absorbed man I would say that it is not about us so he can learn humility. To the man with no self esteem I would say that God has given you a universe to experience and become a mature universal being. Both are correct.

A loving God would make things easy? When children are given everything they want and more, how do they turn out? Spoiled brats?

If God was to give humans everything they want there would be no purpose for the earth and the universe to exist. Souls would simply stay in heaven and enjoy themselves like children who never grow up and spend the whole day on the playground. The earth is a place for souls to join with a biological vehicle to gain experience, develop moral character, and learn the consequences of action and inaction so that they can become a mature universal being and then move upward through the dimensions performing service to the universe. Eventually all souls will return home to heaven where they will be given their own universe. This is the way that God expands. A solar system is an atom of God's body.

I know what you want, you want a grand society where people all live together peacefully and they can form whatever they want just by desiring it and all the knowledge of the universe is available to them. Except, it is like that, exactly like that. How do you think Jesus performed His "miracles"? It is possible for a man to ask a mountain to move and it will move, but he might have to use a tractor to do it. But where did the tractor come from? Man thought about it, then formed it.

There is no "crap" that you go through. Try not to take all of this so seriously. So what you don't have the easiest life, who does? Earn and learn your way up. Don't take anything for granted. Appreciatte whatever you have and whatever you can do. And when you see a free wildflower on the side of the road think of it as a free gift to you from the universe. What other reason could it be?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
A loving God would make things easy? When children are given everything they want and more, how do they turn out? Spoiled brats?

Again, that's the way it is in the world we know. This supreme being could make it so that children who are given everything they want and more don't turn out to be spoiled brats. You've got to think outside the box.

logician

I don't believe, because the probability of there being a god(that is a supernatural creator) is zero.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Hard to believe this dog of a thread is still limping along.

I never did get an answer to what it is I'm supposed to be "believing in" or "not believing in". :shrug:

Super Universe

Defender of God
I don't believe, because the probability of there being a god(that is a supernatural creator) is zero.

Take a science class. How often is the probability of something zero?

If you don't want to believe, then don't believe. It matters not to the universe. It will be just fine without you.

Super Universe

Defender of God
doppelgänger;1151301 said:
Hard to believe this dog of a thread is still limping along.

I never did get an answer to what it is I'm supposed to be "believing in" or "not believing in". :shrug:

Awww... SU hands dopple a tissue. "Feel better now?" Dopple just sniffles...

Super Universe

Defender of God
Again, that's the way it is in the world we know. This supreme being could make it so that children who are given everything they want and more don't turn out to be spoiled brats. You've got to think outside the box.

Oh, but we already have what you describe. They're called robots. That's what you want to be. Mr. Roboto.

Super Universe

Defender of God
There are many things whose probability is zero.

There once was a man who named himself Wisdom. But the man had a bad habit of doing foolish things. Why do you think he gave himself that name?

Maybe he hoped that by giving himself that name it would help him become wise?

logician

There once was a man who named himself Wisdom. But the man had a bad habit of doing foolish things. Why do you think he gave himself that name?

Maybe he hoped that by giving himself that name it would help him become wise?

Translated, I think I'll insult you instead of coming up with a valid argument.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Translated, I think I'll insult you instead of coming up with a valid argument.

I've provided 88 pages of valid arguments, why should I think that one more for you would open your eyes?

As I've said, believe or don't believe, either way we will move on. The universe doesn't need you.