• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you really think you are helping anyone?

sky dancer

I think that people who proselytize often do so with altruistic motivation. Some do it for ego gratification. Either way, it doesn't mean it isn't annoying and disrespectful to some of us, yet welcomed by others.

Believe or not, recruitment, or inducing others to convert to YOUR faith, isn't necessary for all religions.

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Draka,

Do you really think you are helping anyone?
Whatever comes from the mind are called *projections*; hence even what one may guise as help are actually projection of the inner and that when the same is returns as feedback, one feels good; a mental satisfaction which too are mind delusion.

Love & rgds

sky dancer

zenzero-

Don't you think that people who recruit often have mixed motivations? Some of it altruistic, some of it, selfish?

lunamoth

Will to love
I agree with Kathryn and Rick. Evangelizing is taking the love of Christ out into the world in the form of compassion. The good news is that we are loved, and the way to spread that good news is to love.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend sky dancer,

Sorry could not follow what you mean by *recruit*? if you mean *hiring* then it is a professional job and there is nothing personal about it, its a job that one is hired to do.

Love & rgds

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I really shouldn't answer, as I am not a preacher but sometimes I look at this way: If someone believes that someone is in danger, they want to warn others of that danger.
I don't believe in a literal hell or burning over flames for eternity, but if I did and I knew for sure who was going, wouldn't I be cruel just to let people go there (If I thought they were going).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I really shouldn't answer, as I am not a preacher but sometimes I look at this way: If someone believes that someone is in danger, they want to warn others of that danger.
I don't believe in a literal hell or burning over flames for eternity, but if I did and I knew for sure who was going, wouldn't I be cruel just to let people go there (If I thought they were going).
But you would also hold a responsibility in that case as well, IMO.

Like in my analogy: if you're going to coax people out of the ship into the water, then it's incumbent upon you to be sure that the ship is really sinking.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
But you would also hold a responsibility in that case as well, IMO.

Like in my analogy: if you're going to coax people out of the ship into the water, then it's incumbent upon you to be sure that the ship is really sinking.

Preaching is supposed to be more like just telling people that the ship is sinking so be ready. All we are supposed to do is plant a seed, the person (the one being preached to)has to want to leave the ship on his or her own. No one can make up another person's mind.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Preaching is supposed to be more like just telling people that the ship is sinking so be ready. All we are supposed to do is plant a seed, the person (the one being preached to)has to want to leave the ship on his or her own. No one can make up another person's mind.
But isn't it irresponsible to do this unless it's based in truth? Shouldn't some level of "due diligence" be expected on the part of the p-tizer?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
But isn't it irresponsible to do this unless it's based in truth? Shouldn't some level of "due diligence" be expected on the part of the p-tizer?

The people preaching it really do believe that it is totally true. They sense a real danger. Just like if the ship wasn't sinking, but someone truly thought it was, he or she would still warn people (and panic some of them). They don't think of the panic it may cause (teaching of hell) they just want to warn people.

waitasec

Veteran Member
The people preaching it really do believe that it is totally true.
but even though they believe it is true that doesn't necessarily make it true. you need evidence to back up the claim that the ship is sinking...
and also, why can't people see if the ship is sinking for themselves...surely they would know if it were...

They sense a real danger. Just like if the ship wasn't sinking, but someone truly thought it was, he or she would still warn people (and panic some of them). They don't think of the panic it may cause (teaching of hell) they just want to warn people.

absolutely...
assumption is a dangerous thing.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
but even though they believe it is true that doesn't necessarily make it true. you need evidence to back up the claim that the ship is sinking...
and also, why can't people see if the ship is sinking for themselves...surely they would know if it were...

absolutely...
assumption is a dangerous thing.

Which is the main reason I don't preach hell.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Are we to assume the proselytizer has not done "due diligence"?

Draka

Wonder Woman
But surely you can understand why people do it? Alright, some people do it to try and receive more goodies in heaven, but lemme ask you something.

What if you KNEW the truth, and you knew that if someone didn't believe in this truth, then they would be sentenced to everlasting damnation? Surely you would try to help as many people as you could? You may even come off as annoying, but why would it matter when you're trying to save as many souls as you can? Many Christians evangelize because it is an act of love. It's not a matter of people not agreeing with them, it's the concept that non-believers will be sentenced to Hell, and Christians want to save as many people as they can from this eternal torture.

The thing is, this is where the conceit and narcissism comes in. You see, no one "knows" any "truth". To be so convinced that you do you would have to think yourself somehow smarter, or better, or more "enlightened" than the person you are trying to convert. This reeks of conceit and narcissism. One would have to believe they have some knowledge or elite way of deciphering information that others simply do not have and they must try to explain it to us as they would a child. People who really think they "know" better than others enough that they must "convert" them must have at least some kind of superiority complex in that the act of proselytizing is naturally condescending. It really is the utmost of rudeness to proselytize.

petewentz

Fallout Boy
The thing is, this is where the conceit and narcissism comes in. You see, no one "knows" any "truth". To be so convinced that you do you would have to think yourself somehow smarter, or better, or more "enlightened" than the person you are trying to convert. This reeks of conceit and narcissism. One would have to believe they have some knowledge or elite way of deciphering information that others simply do not have and they must try to explain it to us as they would a child. People who really think they "know" better than others enough that they must "convert" them must have at least some kind of superiority complex in that the act of proselytizing is naturally condescending. It really is the utmost of rudeness to proselytize.

I agree 100%. I do not know for certain there is a God, or isn't. I just do not choose to believe in one because of the lack of evidence. It's a cliche statement, but it's my personal truth, which is of course different from the universal truth. I just choose to back my beliefs up with rational evidence.

The problem people face is the Bible, which is why so many militant atheists always attack it as the crux of their argument. You see, when it comes to belief in a deity, the Bible, or any other religious document, is the evidence that confirms their faith. Although I believe it's circular logic. God exists because the Bible says he does, the Bible is the word of God because he exists.

I do not preach, but I am here to debate with open minds.