• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you really think you are helping anyone?

Draka

Wonder Woman
Think of it as a game of "team telephone". If alot of people are telling the same story, usually there is less discrepancy among the more important details than among the "small details".

First off, a whole crapload of firsthand witnesses didn't write the bible now did they? In fact, there is nothing saying that there was any large general consensus of what was going to be in the bible is there? And even if there was a large amount of people all polled for their accounts in order to extrapolate what the real story is, do you honestly think that the words of Jesus would still be perfectly transcribed? You also fail to address any of the points I made about myths and legends and how they are perpetuated and built upon.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
So... are the gospels not telling the same story, or is the resurrection and appearance of Christ to the disciples a "small detail"?

hehehe...that's a pretty good point. There isn't disgreement among the Gospels. I think the "telephone game" analogy has outlived it's usefulness in this debate. It might've played some use however when they were collecting all the stories and deciding which ones were authoritative and worthy of being in the canon. I have no way of knowing that however.

Last edited:

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
That's just for starters about the whole "blessing the world through Jesus" thing

Genesis 22: 15 The angel of the LORD called to Abraham from heaven a second time 16 and said, “I swear by myself, declares the LORD, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, 18 and through your offspring[b] all nations on earth will be blessed,[c] because you have obeyed me.”

Galatians ch 3: 7 Understand, then, that those who have faith are children of Abraham. 8 Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.”[d] 9 So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

Galatians ch 3: 16 The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. Scripture does not say “and to seeds,” meaning many people, but “and to your seed,”[i] meaning one person, who is Christ.

Acts ch 3:“Indeed, beginning with Samuel, all the prophets who have spoken have foretold these days. 25 And you are heirs of the prophets and of the covenant God made with your fathers. He said to Abraham, ‘Through your offspring all peoples on earth will be blessed.’[b] 26 When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways.”

Poisonshady313

That's just for starters about the whole "blessing the world through Jesus" thing

Genesis 22: 15 The angel of the LORD called to Abraham from heaven a second time 16 and said, “I swear by myself, declares the LORD, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, 18 and through your offspring[b] all nations on earth will be blessed,[c] because you have obeyed me.”

Galatians ch 3: 7 Understand, then, that those who have faith are children of Abraham. 8 Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.”[d] 9 So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

Galatians ch 3: 16 The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. Scripture does not say “and to seeds,” meaning many people, but “and to your seed,”[i] meaning one person, who is Christ.

Acts ch 3:“Indeed, beginning with Samuel, all the prophets who have spoken have foretold these days. 25 And you are heirs of the prophets and of the covenant God made with your fathers. He said to Abraham, ‘Through your offspring all peoples on earth will be blessed.’[b] 26 When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways.”
I could write a book using the words of the book of Genesis to describe me, and I'd be disappointed if you weren't first in line to worship me.

Doesn't seem like it takes anything more impressive than that to impress you.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
I could write a book using the words of the book of Genesis to describe me, and I'd be disappointed if you weren't first in line to worship me.

Doesn't seem like it takes anything more impressive than that to impress you.

Did you know Jesus fulfilled all 48 prophecies of the Messiah. Including the town he was born, when he was born, the 30 pieces of silver he was sold out for.

Poisonshady313

If that felt a little too anticlimactic for you, then here's what we can do.

You open up a new thread on the topic of Jesus' fulfillment of prophecy, and you list them one by one, giving me a chance to respond to each one before you move on to the next, and I'll show you exactly why you're wrong about this 48 prophecies fulfilled stuff.

Poisonshady313

And do it proper. Give me old testament prophecy and its corresponding new testament fulfillment, provide book, chapter, and verse.

waitasec

Veteran Member
hehehe...that's a pretty good point. There isn't disgreement among the Gospels. I think the "telephone game" analogy has outlived it's usefulness in this debate. It might've played some use however when they were collecting all the stories and deciding which ones were authoritative and worthy of being in the canon. I have no way of knowing that however.

so maybe like in matthew 27
" 51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split 52 and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life..."
was a bit over the top...:rolleyes:

or how about the curtain...how could they know at the moment the curtain was torn...did they have closed circuit tv then? :D

and the discrepancies between mark and luke
in mark he seems to be confused
but in luke jesus tells the the guy next to him that he will be in paradise with him, that day...not 3 days later...while in mark
15:32...those crucified with him also heaped insults on him...
interesting little conflicts, i think.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Wow. What this thread against proselytizing has turned into. Just...wow.

yeah it's crazy...

just today a JW came to my house and i basically interrupted his schpeal and said sorry, not interested and he replied with, 'have a nice life'
what a piece of work...

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
And do it proper. Give me old testament prophecy and its corresponding new testament fulfillment, provide book, chapter, and verse.

Now you're talkin'
icon12.gif
. It's a fun, long debate we're talking about so just give me a bit of time to get the verses. I promise it's coming though

Poisonshady313

yeah it's crazy...

just today a JW came to my house and i basically interrupted his schpeal and said sorry, not interested and he replied with, 'have a nice life'
what a piece of work...

The other day I noticed a couple of door to door mormons having lunch at the Chinese Buffet.

Nothing interesting happened, it was just something I don't see everyday.