• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think the Bible could be the word of G-d? /for atheists & agnostics

Could the Bible be the word of G-d?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Do you think that the Bible, *could be the word of G-d? Or divine? This question is for atheists and agnostics, but specification is needed for what type of agnosticism or atheism you are claiming.

Yes, it could be. But more likely it's a story about what some ancient people believed. If you're looking for the divine you might be better looking within yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
So your answer is a hesitant yes, it's a possibility.
Yes, just like it is possible that unicorns live on a magical island that becomes ineffable when non believers approach.
"Hesitant" doesn't begin to describe my confidence that old literature is not from anyone but humans.

Who proposed that, some religious group? That has nothing to do with the OP.
Yes, in fact it is asserted by many religious groups. They disagree with each other, but they commonly assert that their book is from God.
And yes, it is what the OP is about. Even if you don't grasp that fact.
Tom

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yes, just like it is possible that unicorns live on a magical island that becomes ineffable when non believers approach.
"Hesitant" doesn't begin to describe my confidence that old literature is not from anyone but humans.

Yes, in fact it is asserted by many religious groups. They disagree with each other, but they commonly assert that their book is from God.
And yes, it is what the OP is about. Even if you don't grasp that fact.
Tom
Not only is this incorrect, it doesn't even make sense.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
So, your answer is no, but you can't just say n

If you were as willing to describe what you mean and believe as you are to tell people you barely know what they mean and believe, you probably wouldn't keep starting repetitive threads on this subject.
Tom

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Do you think that the Bible, *could be the word of G-d? Or divine? This question is for atheists and agnostics, but specification is needed for what type of agnosticism or atheism you are claiming.

*Or some, /any parts of the Bible

I dont know what you mean by claiming "what type" of atheist I am. I just dont believe God/s exist. God/s as in actual deities rather than just spirits, personifications, and archeytypes.

To answer that question, I'd have to assume a God exists. If He does, Id say Holy Books are written by "people" inspired by God." The book is not inspired in and of itself, its the people who wrote it.

I personally believe the Buddha's suttras are sacred. If I compared it to the God/Holy Book concept, I'd say the Book/s are revered because they contain words that describe whats in us. They are books of our lives through other people just like we are. What I write is inspired by my nature and may be used as inspired work by my family who keeps it if I were to pass before they.

If a God existed, I dont agree that any book is directly inspired by Him/Her. That is a personification of the Divine; I dont agree with that. Rather, God inspires people. That-is what I would believe if God existed.

If you mean God inspired book, no. If you mean God inspired message, yes. Books are not inspirations. Messages are.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If you mean God inspired book, no. If you mean God inspired message, yes. Books are not inspirations. Messages are.

This is the point.

God could send messages to anybody at any time. If God does that, humans have no way of distinguishing which messages are from God and which are not.

"Revealed religion" is human beings claiming to speak for God. This is entirely different from a message from God.
If God wants me to believe something I do. Humans I am less trustful of. They are not very reliable, as evidenced by the plethora of religious people out there claiming to speak for God.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
As an agnostic, one thing I am certain of the Bible cannot be the "word of God" given just how human this god is.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
If there was a god. I'm sure she could have written a much better, meaningful and clearer book.

So, no The Bible is not the word of a god
"she"? Generally, God is refferred to as male. 'It' might have been acceptable, which would or could included both.

Robert.Evans

All the failings and contradictions of the Bible aside, I just can't take the idea seriously that an omnipotent and omniscient god's best idea for how to communicate to all of humanity is to dictate a book to someone.
Perhaps you just don't understand the argument enough

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It's basically a yes or no question, and then explain whatever, if one wants.

It is not a yes or no question, at least not the way you phrased it. Some of us have thoughtful and nuanced opinions on the subject. So "yes, no, maybe, and sort of" are all reasonable answers to your OP.
Tom

Robert.Evans

I see no reason to believe that the Creator gives a whit about what we humans do or believe.
So while it is possible that some parts of the Bible are from God, so might be the Vedas, The Lord of the Rings, Quran, or Mein Kampf.
Best bets are the Humanist Manifesto and George Carlin.
There is no reason to believe that God stopped talking after the ancient priests, warlords, or popes. That is just ridiculous.
Tom
Why?

Terryj

As to the OP question: "Could the bible be the word of God": It is obvious that the bible was written by man, these men believed in the existence of a God and therefore believed that what they were writing was from God, so for the person doing the writing it is most definitely the word of God.

Now if your asking my opinion on this, this starts to get away from your original question. The question wouldn't be "Could" but "Do you believe" the bible to be the word of God. So which is it?

Laika

Premium Member
Voted "Other". This is sort of a circular problem, as if I say god is impossible, the bible cannot therefore by definition be written by god because it is impossible. it would be unfair for me to pretend otherwise and just throw a "no" around when really its because I'm unwilling to entertian the possibility. Plus I don't have any background knowledge on the history of the bible and it's authorship to support such an argument. So I'm too ignorant to comment on the authenticity of the bible.

you know... apatheism.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Obfuscation.

That's your middle name.
You keep starting threads about the same thing because when you get a clear response you don't like it.
So you obfuscate in another thread. It's like you're practicing for a career in Christian ministry.
Tom