• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think the Bible could be the word of G-d? /for atheists & agnostics

Could the Bible be the word of G-d?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
“If you wish to converse with me, define your terms” Voltaire

When you say “Bible”, is this the Jewish Bible or Christian Bible? There is a huge difference between the two. When you say “God” is the term being used as it’s used in either the Jewish or Christian Bible? My point is I can not answer your question unless I understand it.
Either one, or both.

Kartari

Hi q konn,

Do you think that the Bible, *could be the word of G-d? Or divine? This question is for atheists and agnostics, but specification is needed for what type of agnosticism or atheism you are claiming.

*Or some, /any parts of the Bible

I personally run the spectrum from hard atheist to agnostic, depending on which particular deity or deities one has in mind.

Since you specify the Bible, that is enough for me to vote "no/I'm an atheist." The God of the Bible is clearly a logically fallacious fabrication imho. You cannot be both all-loving and genocidal at the same time, it is logically impossible. And since this God is impossible, it cannot possibly be the author of the Bible (in part or in whole, or anything else for that matter).

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
Why would god be anything like us and why would we be anything like god? Any gods that may be are not human and they are not from Earth, so why would there be such similarities?
Because we are one of the same thing....its offspring. Hence it has a vested interest in us, as we are it. We are the God of flesh in physical form. We are the lowest form being made complete. We are thoughts made seen, physical, to eventually return. Those that do not understand, lose something.

But God also is reflective. What you think of is the highest part. Seeing God as one moment of thought will fool you, he is more than that- many days.

Robert.Evans

No, seriously: what argument did you have in mind? Some generic argument for God? Something about the immediate topic of conversation (i.e. the idea that an all-knowing god who really wants all of humanity to know something can't think of any better way to make that happen is to tell it to one guy in one language and let him spread the word to his friends)? Something else?
Your words suggest sarcasm, which also suggests you really don't want to know...hence I said you probably don't know the argument well enough. And you don't. But I will say, you can't, not with that attitude. Same for any topic I guess.

Robert.Evans

So has Lesley been lying to me?
You would have to ask. i doubt it. The only way it can be seen as feminine is from the first reflective separation, the first arrival of feminine, which is the Image. We are created within the Image. In that sense it could, but considering that there is still masculine and feminine elements within it, it would be wrong to attribute all to the feminine.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Your words suggest sarcasm, which also suggests you really don't want to know...
Know what?

hence I said you probably don't know the argument well enough. And you don't.
Again: what argument? I'm not a mind-reader. I don't know what argument you're planning to make (or not make now, apparently).

But I will say, you can't, not with that attitude. Same for any topic I guess.
You would be surprised how little I care about the opinion of some self-appointed "enlightened one" on the internet who used to just refuse to back up his arguments and now refuses to give them at all has about my attitude. When you give me any reason at all to care about what you think, it might matter to me. So far, that hasn't happened.

Robert.Evans

Know what?

Again: what argument? I'm not a mind-reader. I don't know what argument you're planning to make (or not make now, apparently).

You would be surprised how little I care about the opinion of some self-appointed "enlightened one" on the internet who used to just refuse to back up his arguments and now refuses to give them at all has about my attitude. When you give me any reason at all to care about what you think, it might matter to me. So far, that hasn't happened.
I believe the argument is about theology. i have nothing else to say on it as you seem to be straining to keep up.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Do you think that the Bible, *could be the word of G-d? Or divine? This question is for atheists and agnostics, but specification is needed for what type of agnosticism or atheism you are claiming.

NO - it is NOT from any God.

All one has to do is read all the stories of murder, rape, etc., to understands it is written by men whom want legitimacy when committing such atrocities.

"God told me to do it!"

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Either one, or both.
It is completely unreasonable to refuse to specify the meaning of terms. It is the responsibility of the OPer to clarify A SPECIFIC MEANING FOR TERMS USED. It is flat out disrespectful to say "either one or both".

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
God is male. Goddess would be female. Everything comes from Source, ultimate male with or without the female. Female is the Replication.

Baloney!

Even in the Bible God is referred to occasionally in feminine terms, - having breasts for instance.

Most churches teach that God is neither male nor female.

Though their patriarchal bloomers are constantly showing.

Sure, it could be. If so, it would further solidify my position that God is a really, really poor Process Engineer.

roger1440

I do stuff
Either one, or both.
The Jewish Bible was written for Jews and Jews alone. The Christian Bible is much more complicated. Judaism is far less diverse then Christianity. You may get a different answer from an Orthodox Jew and a Reformed Jew. You would probably get different answer from Protestant and Catholic. But with all this division there is a common thread that unites Jews and Christians. the quest for God. Both Christian and Jewish scripture teaches unity, not division.

Robert.Evans

Baloney!

Even in the Bible God is referred to occasionally in feminine terms, - having breasts for instance.

Most churches teach that God is neither male nor female.

Though their patriarchal bloomers are constantly showing.

Balony is only your opinion, and perhaps of some others.
It would depend on what aspect of God you are speaking of when asking the question. Perhaps you feminism gets in the way. Either way, what comes second, is feminine and not masculine. That is the simple and not complicated long answer, as I know you are not interested.

Anyway, where does it mention breasts?

What does it matter what a church teaches?

God is the father. Or does that pass straight over your head

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Because we are one of the same thing....its offspring. Hence it has a vested interest in us, as we are it. We are the God of flesh in physical form.
How is that not anthropocentric, and anything more than promoting humans as more than what we are?

Robert.Evans

How is that not anthropocentric, and anything more than promoting humans as more than what we are?
Hmm.... That was not something that sprung to mind at any point when I read it or wrote it. Mankind is the lowest form not the highest.

Robert.Evans

We're not the lowest form, imo, but we're getting there.:thumbsup:
haha. Ok, work in progress perhaps. There are animals to consider also. But we are the lowest form- physical, unless we delve into hell itself, which is harder to explain for me

Robert.Evans

Wrong, humans are made in the image of G-d, not the other way around. You have the concept correct, but the equation reversed.:thumbsup:
Just to further your thought upon reading this: if we are created in the "image" of God, how then are we evil? Is God evil to you? And if so, how?