• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think the Bible could be the word of G-d? /for atheists & agnostics

Could the Bible be the word of G-d?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Perhaps that confirms him, not denies him.
If there is a god, I very highly doubt this entity is anything like us. We are humans. Why would a being that is beyond us be like us? Us limited, weak, easily confused, and flawed humans? Does god not have very high aspirations?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This is the point.

God could send messages to anybody at any time. If God does that, humans have no way of distinguishing which messages are from God and which are not.

"Revealed religion" is human beings claiming to speak for God. This is entirely different from a message from God.
If God wants me to believe something I do. Humans I am less trustful of. They are not very reliable, as evidenced by the plethora of religious people out there claiming to speak for God.
Tom

I have a different view on humanity. I dont see them as faulty just because they claim, as one says, they got a message from God. I hate to compare this, its like my former therapist saying people who hear voices actually hear voices; they are not crazy nor faulty. They go on with their lives and he says, unless the person cannot function when hearing voices, they dont treat unless necessary (as in display other "symptoms" that cause illness).

Likewise, if humans say they hear messages from God, who am I to say they do not? I am not them. I cannot base their experiences off my disbelief in their God. I believe them only to the affect that the psycbologist believes the person he's helping. I dont say they are wrong. I just have different views.

Humans are reliable if we treat each other as so. We dont. We put people in holes and spit on them by saying they are sin or suffer dellusions.

Its a sad world to think we are bad at heart. We are not. We just find it hard to see.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Your answers haven't been clear at all. You are obfuscating the obvious question in the OP,

My answer was clear enough for you to tell me it is "no".
Also that I am incorrect.
Also that it has nothing to do with your beliefs.

You seem to have found it quite clear.
Tom

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
If there is a god, I very highly doubt this entity is anything like us. We are humans. Why would a being that is beyond us be like us? Us limited, weak, easily confused, and flawed humans? Does god not have very high aspirations?
It depends at what level of "God" you are speaking of....or to put it more simply, which god of God. We are the lower aspect of the lower God, the God of flesh. Hence the God of flesh gets angry, changes his mind etc.... that is what we replicate

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
I understand that part well.
It's your claim to know about God that is uncompelling to most people.
Tom
I don't have a problem with that. I can't make someone belief...that comes from God, not me. I can only inform you, no more. You either accept it or not. It might help later however, so I try.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
It depends at what level of "God" you are speaking of....or to put it more simply, which god of God. We are the lower aspect of the lower God, the God of flesh. Hence the God of flesh gets angry, changes his mind etc.... that is what we replicate
Why would god be anything like us and why would we be anything like god? Any gods that may be are not human and they are not from Earth, so why would there be such similarities?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No, seriously: what argument did you have in mind? Some generic argument for God? Something about the immediate topic of conversation (i.e. the idea that an all-knowing god who really wants all of humanity to know something can't think of any better way to make that happen is to tell it to one guy in one language and let him spread the word to his friends)? Something else?

Yerda

Veteran Member
Do you think that the Bible, *could be the word of G-d? Or divine? This question is for atheists and agnostics, but specification is needed for what type of agnosticism or atheism you are claiming.

*Or some, /any parts of the Bible
I don't think it is a logical or physical impossibility so the answer is yes. Seems a bit trivial to be honest.

Why do you ask?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Do you think that the Bible, *could be the word of G-d? Or divine? This question is for atheists and agnostics, but specification is needed for what type of agnosticism or atheism you are claiming.

What do you mean specifically by "the word of God"/divine?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Sorry, but if you don't know what 'Biblical deity', or sentient being means, why would you even be responding to the thread?
As i assume you know, those terms mean different things to different people. So, can you please provide your intended meanings?

roger1440

I do stuff

“If you wish to converse with me, define your terms” Voltaire

When you say “Bible”, is this the Jewish Bible or Christian Bible? There is a huge difference between the two. When you say “God” is the term being used as it’s used in either the Jewish or Christian Bible? My point is I can not answer your question unless I understand it.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
“If you wish to converse with me, define your terms” Voltaire

When you say “Bible”, is this the Jewish Bible or Christian Bible? There is a huge difference between the two. When you say “God” is the term being used as it’s used in either the Jewish or Christian Bible? My point is I can not answer your question unless I understand it.
Well-put.