• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you Think we have Free Will

Do you Think we have Free Will

• Total voters

leroy

Personal experience of what, though? You're begging the question.
Personal experience = it really feels at though we have free will……. This is what I mean with personal expereicne.

1 If you grant free will, then you are tacitly accepting that experiences are (or could be) a good source of knowledge

2 If you reject experience as a valid source of knowledge, then you have to reject free will

You which one do you pick? 1 or 2 ]?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
At the end of the day, despite all of the (endless) philosophical debate about free will, the entire human race accepts that it exists. We accept it when we tell people, "you made a great (or terrible) choice!" We accept it when we try people for crimes in courts of law. We accept it when we admire our heros for what they've accompliched, or despise others for the damage they've done.

Because without some measure of free will, absolutely none of that makes any sense at all. I cannot be acclaimed for some great thing I've done, or villified for the opposite, if there is no sense in which I could have chosen to do otherwise. Punishing your kid for not doing their homework would be totally unjust if she had no choice in the matter.

For myself, I strongly believe that there is a real "I" inside of me, located (I think) in the brain stem, not the prefrontal cortex where too many have been looking for it for so long -- particularly (as some now think) the reticular activating system. And it is from here that I think free will actually arises. No doubt much of our decision-making is activated by inputs, internal mental states, etc., etc., I think that this "I" has the final ability to say "yes" or "no," and in the latter case, stop the decision. I tend to call this "free won't" (that's not original with me).

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
how woudl you define it? and how would you vote under that definiton ?
The ability to make choices independent of outside influence.

And I wouldn't know how to vote, tbh.
My gut feeling tells me that it exists, that I indeed am able to make free choices independent of outside influence.
But it's impossible to test since we can't go back in time and see if any given choice can turn out otherwise.

I feel like I can make free choices independent of outside influence and that's the best I can do in terms of supporting the existence of free will.
That, and the fact that it seems impossible to perfectly predict behavior 100% of the time - but that could also be explained by the complexity of the world and not being aware of all possible variables.
And that seems pretty weak as evidence.

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
It´s impossibel to test free will, that is correct……….. all we have is “personal experience” as evidence so ether

1 personal experience is a reliable source of knowledge

2 we should reject the idea that we have free will

Ether one has interesting implications

If you go for “1” you have to reject methodological naturalism, empiricism or any other view that states that “we can only know things that can be tested”

Que?
That makes no sense at all.
Empiricism and testability is the exact opposite of relying on "personal experience".
Empirical testing exists precisely BECAUSE "personal experience" isn't reliable.

If you go for 2 you would have to reject free will, which implies that there is no reason, nor critical thinking nor morality etc. in this world.
2 doesn't follow from 1 at all

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Personal experience = it really feels at though we have free will……. This is what I mean with personal expereicne.

1 If you grant free will, then you are tacitly accepting that experiences are (or could be) a good source of knowledge

2 If you reject experience as a valid source of knowledge, then you have to reject free will

You which one do you pick? 1 or 2 ]?
2 doesn't follow from 1.

At best, you would have to say that we have no objective evidence for (or against) it.

PureX

Veteran Member
* In this context Free Will is defined as the ability to make choices that are not fully determined by past events nor fully random

I know this is a hard question and that nobody claims to have 100% certanity..... but in your opinion what is more likely to be true?... do you think humans have the aility to make choices ?
To perceive a choice is to have free will.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
If you don’t trust your personal

You didn't finish the sentence?
But yea, "personal experience" is notoriously unreliable.
This is why science exists.

This doesn't mean that personal experience is always wrong.

Though presumably not to punish, since punishment would be unwarranted.

Jail is punishment.

And wouldn’t justice, with her sword, her blindfold and her scales, be an illusion too?
No idea what you are trying to say here.
In any case, what I shared there was just what Russel said. I just thought it was funny in context of your question.

I do not necessarily agree with Russel.
I operate under the assumption that free will exists and that humans are responsible for the choices they make.

RestlessSoul

You didn't finish the sentence?
But yea, "personal experience" is notoriously unreliable.
This is why science exists.

This doesn't mean that personal experience is always wrong.

Jail is punishment.

No idea what you are trying to say here.
In any case, what I shared there was just what Russel said. I just thought it was funny in context of your question.

I do not necessarily agree with Russel.
I operate under the assumption that free will exists and that humans are responsible for the choices they make.

So you act as if you have free will, because it’s pretty much impossible to do otherwise. Which surely makes the experience of free will as real as any other phenomenon in this often illusory, floating world.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Honestly I believe that free will denial is not done in good faith.
That's my personal opinion.

It's a clear case of Freudian Verneinung.