• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does a belief in a god show lack of education?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
This gives me the opportunity to wheel out the classic Steven Weinberg quote, yet again...

“Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

(I would add "or similar ideology")

Kudos, I should've remembered that myself, very apropos.

As an aside, is that a Yamaha RD LC in your avatar?

I used to own a 250cc version just after I passed my motorcycle test, by the time I traded it for a 350cc it was the power valve version, still a great bike though, well until I crashed it, and wrote it off anyway. Ah, happy days. my broken collar bone still aches in the really cold weather.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Consider that most people still think God speaks to them.
Most? I don't have statistics but I'd wager that it's less than 10% - and of those I'd say at least 50% don't believe it but believe it lends credence to their arguments to assert it and about 10% are truly delusional. (Just educated guesses, so, come with evidence and I'll change my mind.)

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
Consider that most people still think God speaks to them.
I don't know a single person who hears voices and thinks it is god.
Believing that god influences their behaviour/decisions is not the same thing as actually hearing god telling you to do stuff. That is proper delusional psychotic episode.

KWED

As an aside, is that a Yamaha RD LC in your avatar?
I used to own a 250cc version just after I passed my motorcycle test, by the time I traded it for a 350cc it was the power valve version, still a great bike though, well until I crashed it, and wrote it off anyway. Ah, happy days. my broken collar bone still aches in the really cold weather.
Good spot! But no.
It is the Velocity Moto 900LC - based on the Yam XSR900, but fettled to look like the old RDLC, so classic looks with all the trickery of a modern bike. Rare as hen's teeth, but it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine...mwahahahaha!
(The old Elsie always holds a special place in the hearts of us more mature bikers)

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Good spot! But no.
It is the Velocity Moto 900LC - based on the Yam XSR900, but fettled to look like the old RDLC, so classic looks with all the trickery of a modern bike. Rare as hen's teeth, but it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine...mwahahahaha!
(The old Elsie always holds a special place in the hearts of us more mature bikers)

Ah, quality...my biking days are behind me now I fear, but never say never. My last bike I sold a good few years ago, it was a Yamaha FZR1000cc EXUP, damn fast in its day. I took a trip across France over the Pyrenees mountains into Spain, then across Spain to the Mediterranean coast. I was 24 then, and I don't think I have enjoyed a trip or holiday as much since.

Professor84

Plenty of educated and intelligent people are theists. Plenty of educated and intelligent people are not. Education and knowledge gained usually allows for at least some openness to new ideas or new proofs or that there may be things one does not know or understand yet. I’m a theist and highly educated. But I know that belief in any form of god is a matter of philosophy, not science. The major decisions of my life are rational and based on empirical proof. I find meaning and value in theism. In the same way that a deity is intangible, I get intangible good from belief in one. I’m just open to the idea that there may be things we haven’t discovered yet or can’t fully understand because as I’ve gained more knowledge I have also realized how little I really do or can know. Paradox of knowledge I guess. I think there are a number of reasonable, educated people that might fall where I do. It’s honestly a bit like the paleo diet and history of the Thoroughbred racehorse: the origin stories of both quite frankly are bunk. But the paleo diet can actually be healthy for certain populations and if you need to run a mile and a quarter the TB is the racehorse for you. There are values and uses for both even if the origin story is a bad one. You don’t have to throw the baby out with the bath water or in the words of Chaucer: take the wheat and let the chaff be still. Meyers Briggs is also pseudoscience but Ive found it useful for self improvement and ironing down some rough edges. I’m not super religious, doctrinaire, etc. Other religious people might find me uncomfortable because I ask hard questions. And my education did a good job teaching me how to think. It refined my concept of theism. I encountered a lot of hard questions myself in my journey and came out the other side a lot more sure on my positions because I could explain them whereas before they would just have been socially conditioned or experiential. My own classes are built on critical thinking skills like summary, analysis, critique, and synthesis. I constantly tell me students my job is to teach them how to think and not what to think. If they know how, they can figure out the what.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Plenty of educated and intelligent people are theists. Plenty of educated and intelligent people are not. Education and knowledge gained usually allows for at least some openness to new ideas or new proofs or that there may be things one does not know or understand yet. I’m a theist and highly educated. But I know that belief in any form of god is a matter of philosophy, not science. The major decisions of my life are rational and based on empirical proof. I find meaning and value in theism. In the same way that a deity is intangible, I get intangible good from belief in one. I’m just open to the idea that there may be things we haven’t discovered yet or can’t fully understand because as I’ve gained more knowledge I have also realized how little I really do or can know. Paradox of knowledge I guess. I think there are a number of reasonable, educated people that might fall where I do. It’s honestly a bit like the paleo diet and history of the Thoroughbred racehorse: the origin stories of both quite frankly are bunk. But the paleo diet can actually be healthy for certain populations and if you need to run a mile and a quarter the TB is the racehorse for you. There are values and uses for both even if the origin story is a bad one. You don’t have to throw the baby out with the bath water or in the words of Chaucer: take the wheat and let the chaff be still. Meyers Briggs is also pseudoscience but Ive found it useful for self improvement and ironing down some rough edges. I’m not super religious, doctrinaire, etc. Other religious people might find me uncomfortable because I ask hard questions. And my education did a good job teaching me how to think. It refined my concept of theism. I encountered a lot of hard questions myself in my journey and came out the other side a lot more sure on my positions because I could explain them whereas before they would just have been socially conditioned or experiential. My own classes are built on critical thinking skills like summary, analysis, critique, and synthesis. I constantly tell me students my job is to teach them how to think and not what to think. If they know how, they can figure out the what.
I think your last few sentences sum up why so many have problems with some of the established religions - where many are taught what to think rather than how to think, and at an age when they are least resistant to such teaching all too often.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Most? I don't have statistics but I'd wager that it's less than 10% - and of those I'd say at least 50% don't believe it but believe it lends credence to their arguments to assert it and about 10% are truly delusional. (Just educated guesses, so, come with evidence and I'll change my mind.)

I spoke to God and He said you're making a poor wager.

Clear

Premium Member
1) REGARDING AUTHENTIC REVELATION INSIDE AUTHENTIC RELIGION
@BilliardsBall said : “Consider that most people still think God speaks to them.”
@KWED said : "I don't know a single person who hears voices and thinks it is god.”

I think this discrepancy is due, to a large part, the context of the posters.
One is a Christian who is speaking from the position of a Christian who associates with Christians who believe in revelation and the other is a non religionists who is speaking from the position of a non Christian.

While I don't think the qualifier “most people” is necessarily correct, IF the the claim had been simply “most Christians” (which is what may have been meant...), then I would agree with Billiardsball that most Christians I have engaged with over the years believe that they have had a revelatory experience with God whether it has been a voice or an impression or a vision or some other communication by which revelation comes to individuals.

AUTHENTIC REVELATION AS EVIDENCE OF THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
Authentic Revelation from God to mankind has always been the hallmark of authentic religion whereas counterfeit religions do not possess this specific characteristic (this is not to say they will not claim revelation).

While there are those who are mentally ill and the fakers, barring those unauthentic claims, one great strength of authentic Religion was that it was verified through “Direct experience” with God.
I don’t know of any more powerful confirmation that God exists than for God to reveal himself directly to an individual.

Thus, I believe the strongest and most powerful, most compelling and profound evidence upon which one may base increasing faith in the existence of God (or an "external intelligence" of some sort) is direct communication from God in some form to that individual.

Clear
τωτωτωσεω

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
@BilliardsBall said : “Consider that most people still think God speaks to them.”
@KWED said : "I don't know a single person who hears voices and thinks it is god.”

One is a Christian who is speaking from the position of a Christian who associates with Christians who believe in revelation and the other is a non religionists who is speaking from the position of a non Christian.

While I don't think the qualifier “most people” is necessarily correct, IF the the claim had been simply “most Christians” (which is what may have been meant...), then I would agree with Billiardsball that most Christians I have engaged with over the years believe that they have had a revelatory experience with God whether it has been a voice or an impression or a vision or some other communication by which revelation comes to individuals.

Authentic Revelation from God to mankind has always been the hallmark of authentic religion whereas counterfeit religions do not possess this specific characteristic (this is not to say they will not claim revelation).

While there are those who are mentally ill and the fakers, barring those unauthentic claims, one great strength of authentic Religion was that it was verified through “Direct experience” with God.
I don’t know of any more powerful confirmation that God exists than for God to reveal himself directly to an individual.

Thus, I believe the strongest and most powerful, most compelling and profound evidence upon which one may base increasing faith in the existence of God (or an "external intelligence" of some sort) is direct communication from God in some form to that individual.

Clear
τωτωτωσεω
The problem is that no one can demonstrate and show the difference between direct experience arising from mental illness, lies or actual direct experience of God. Simply claiming it does not reveal the validity of it.

That is the problem as I see it.

Of course, the next thing often heard is that "one is not of God, if he or she did not get the revelation I got". If they were a true believer, they would know that person X's experience was real. Since they do not, they must not be a true believer. This also cannot be demonstrated to be a fact.

Clear

Premium Member
REGARDING THE CONCEPT THAT AUTHENTIC REVELATION IS ONE MAIN CHARACTERISTIC OF AUTHENTIC RELIGION AND THE STRONGEST PERSONAL EVIDENCE FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD

Dan from Smithville said : "The problem is that no one can demonstrate and show the difference between direct experience arising from mental illness, lies or actual direct experience of God. Simply claiming it does not reveal the validity of it."

Hi @Dan From Smithville ;
Actually, I think that the difference CAN be demonstrated and often the nature of the revelation to an individual carries with it, objective evidence that the revelation, or communication (whatever you want to call it) is intelligence or information originating outside the person who receives it.

I practice medicine and have dealt with patients with hallucinations and, over the years have made some observation that might be helpful to understand the differences between revelation and hallucinations (auditory, visual or otherwise)

OFTEN, AUTHENTIC REVELATIONS CONTAIN OBJECTIVE EVIDENCE THAT THEY ARE NOT MERELY HALUCINATIONS

Perhaps I can offer a couple of example revelations of individual guidance by the spirit and we can analyze them reasonably and logical for external and objective evidence that might lead us to conclude that they are not merely hallucinations.

"The first example applies to brothers, one living in Germany and one living in Texas in the United States, who have who formed detailed plans and commitments through regular written letters to attend an american college together.

More than a year of almost weekly letters have allowed them to plan in detail their courses of study and common living arrangement, etc.

At one point, each receives a separate revelation on the same day regarding a drastic change to their plan.

In their separate revelations, each are told NOT to do as they planned, but are each told to take different paths than they planned for so many months.

Both brothers have the same revelations, concerning the same subject, on the same day, at the same time as it were. They each write a letter to one another on the same day describing their individual experience as the reason to change these plans. The two separate revelations are received by the two brothers on different continents at the same time and their letters cross each other at the same time in the mail between countries.

One brother starts his letter with the sentence:
"Dear Larry, I hope you are not disappointed, but the Lord has told me we are not supposed to go to school together." And then he writes what he feels he was told to do.

The other brother writes:
"
Dear Gary, I hope you are not disappointed, but the Lord has told me we are not supposed to go to school together." And then he writes what he feels HE was told to do.

Each Brother reads an "identical" introductory sentence when they receive the letter.
Both brothers complete re-oriented their lives away from a shared goal they’d spent months planning toward, based on the strength of their separate and distinct revelations.

If only one brother had experienced the “revelation” and had asked my opinion about HIS "revelation", then I might have been tempted to labeling the experience as a possible, perhaps even a probable delusion.
However, once I understand the FULL circumstances, then I have a greater difficulty doing this.
Once I know the FULL circumstances, the diagnosis of delusion is less probable. It's also difficult to label this as two separate delusions, on two separate continents, yet having a delusion at the same time, on the same subject and against a shared goal.
Especially since both individuals seem mentally normal and have never been prone to delusions.

Also, there are objective elements existing that I might consider as evidence that the experience actually happened as the brothers claimed.
For example, there may be diary entries in separate diaries, made on separate continents.
The letters might have date stamps to refer to (one letter to the U.S. and one letter in europe), etc.) It's this sort objective data that I am referring to that revelation may carry within it, as evidence that the phenomenon is not generated within the person - as a delusion, or hallucination is.

My second example involves one of the same two brothers:

The younger of the two brothers is asleep, in bed with his wife, having a dream that is "different" than the normal dream types.
In his dream, he is in a house and his father is standing over a pile of the things and explaining that he is going to die and the son will inherit all these thing when the father dies.
The son explains he does not want the "things" but rather he wants the father to stay.
During the dream, the son realizes the father is going to die; is given some other details and then awakens.

The son awakens and describes the dream and the information he is given to his wife, he writes it in his diary and, being very early in the morning, he goes back to sleep with difficulty as he considers what happened.
He is able to call his dad (who lives hundreds of miles away); discussed his love, respect, etc, but does not tell the father about the dream for reasons outside this discussion.

48 hours later, the father indeed dies suddenly of a heart attack while digging a post hole. He had no known heart disease (though to be fair the father had known hypertension)

Again, the brother's application of revelatory import to a dream itself could be considered delusional, except the concept of having been given information regarding a very specific future event which happened makes it more problematic to simply label it as a simple delusion.

Again, there are objective elements that exist such as:
The wife being able to confirm him awakening and telling her about the impending death.
The diary describing the dream is available for objective evidence, etc.
Again, there is objective data to the person having the dream, that is evidence to them that a phenomenon outside themselves is happening.

For example; An accurate; specific and correct prediction of a future even is not something that can be generated inside the person's mind.

I can apply "delusion" to the exact same events in people as individuals who feel God tells them to change plans or who apply revelatory import to their dreams.
However, it is the vast amount of other surround details to the event that make self-induced "delusion" less likely and an external source of communication more likely.

For example;
When a single unusual event like I describe above happens. I could call it "blind luck" that one predicts a death, or unusual "coincidence" that letters cross.
But, when such things happen over and over and over; and coincidence piles up upon coincident upon coincidence over several years of time, at some point the constantly repeating pattern of similar correct revelations over many years containing things impossible for an individual to know, becomes indescribably impossible to remain in the realm of coincidence or blind luck.

No one continues to have a lifetime of “blind luck” describing deaths or other specific events beyond their ability to know (such as the future) just as no one wins a lottery ticket over and over.
The brother has normal dreams like everyone else, and every once in a while, has a "dream-vision" that he feels is communication, and, it is consistently correct in how it coordinates with actual events.

Does this make more sense as I describe it in this way?

How do I consistently maintain (if I know the details) that these experiences (and their attending objective characteristics) that happen over a period of many years, are simple delusions (that are
simply within the person's psyche) rather than something that is outside of the persons ability to produce?
Telling the future, or involvement of other people is different than a simple delusion.

The brother KNOWS he is no prophet, he KNOWS he is a regular person who puts his pants on like everyone else, he realizes he has no authority to tell others what they should do based on
these experiences.
The revelations simply give HIM information that applies to HIS life.

I hope that it makes sense that, over a lifetime of frequent and repeated experiences, the revelations themselves carry with them, objective and reasonable and logical evidence that the experience is not simply a delusion or a halucination. (though not all revelations will have this evidence and some may be delusions...)

However, even when revelations DO carry objective evidence, I agree that the specific individual experience itself cannot be shared firsthand.

If you need more specific examples, let me know.

Good luck in coming to your own beliefs in this life's journey

Clear
τωτωφιτζω

Last edited:

KWED

Now you know one.
So you hear an actual voice telling you stuff (rather than internal monologue), and believe that voice is from a supernatural entity independent of your own brain?

Cool! What sort of thing does it say to you?

KWED

Only a fallacy if the argument is untrue. "Most men urinate while standing" is an explanation.
That is an assumption based on observation, not an explanation.
Also, it doesn't qualify as an ad pop argument as you are not claiming that men urinate standing up because it is a popular assumption.
An ad pop would be "Everyone knows that men urinate standing up because x"

KWED

I would still contend that even most Christians do not have a voice in their head that they believe is the actual god actually speaking to them - which is what Balls is talking about.

Question begging.
Until it has been demonstrated that the god supposedly responsible for any claimed "revelation" actually exists, it cannot simply be assumed to be "authentic".
Therefore, thus far, there is no "authentic religion" or "authentic revelation".

Any such claim is unverifiable anecdote and therefore is not evidence and confirms nothing.
Furthermore, we know that under certain conditions the brain can produce hallucinatory experiences that are considered real by the subject. So until there is some independent, verifiable evidence that supports the existence of said god, any such claims are best explained by psychotic episode or fabrication.

If you claim that experience of god is evidence for god, then you must also accept the existence of every god that anyone has claimed to have had genuine experience of.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
For example, there may be diary entries in separate diaries, made on separate continents.

The letters might have date stamps to refer to (one letter to the U.S. and one letter in europe), etc.) It's this sort objective data that I am referring to that revelation may carry within it, as evidence that the phenomenon is not generated within the person - as a delusion, or hallucination is.

Well ruling out delusion or hallucination is all very well, though I see a lot of "mays" and mights" in there, however as far I can see prima facie, all we have is an occurrence we can't explain, I see no actual objective evidence for any "revelation"? To decide on an explanation, simply because we haven't an alternative is quite a common logical error I see often in apologetics, it's called an argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy.

The second example is clearly a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Again just because an occurrence seems remarkable, and there is no explanation doesn't in itself evidence anything. To be honest this doesn't even seem that remarkable, given the age of the gentlemen who died it not surprising that his son had such a dream, and the fact he died with a few days of the dream tells us nothing in itself.

The fact both these examples contain such obvious known logical fallacies is a little surprising to be honest.

Last edited: