• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone care about 2012

trueself

This is the time of prophecy about a 2012 Doomsday. Just about everybody has heard of the date 2012 and read about 2012 doomsday predictions. Most people hear about Dec 21, 2012 and say, “Hmm, isn’t that when the Mayan calendar ends? :sad4:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
A solar storm will happen in that year, and it's likely the magnetic poles will change.

While certainly we're in for a wild ride, not the end of the world.

All I can do is prepare, and live normally.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I suggest you consult archaeologists who's field of research is Mesoamerican and Maya cultures, rest assured they will tell you, the Maya did not leave scientific data for us to discover in the future that the world will come to an end on Dec 21, 2012.

I for one hope to be enjoying a vacation in the Caribbeans about that time.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I know, I've read much of it. :) I don't buy a word of this coming doom and am certainly not going to shred a moment of worry over it. How many times in your life have you heard similar forecasts about the end of the world?

The world has been coming to an end for the past 1500 years. :sarcastic

Trey of Diamonds

I know, I've read much of it. :) I don't buy a word of this coming doom and am certainly not going to shred a moment of worry over it. How many times in your life have you heard similar forecasts about the end of the world?

Yeah, did you read my post on the subject?

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/1394924-post42.html

I like a good catastrophe theory but this one is kind of weak IMO. If the Mayan's didn't believe the end of their calendar era meant the end of the world then why should we? They ought to know what their own calendar means after all.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Yeah, did you read my post on the subject?

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/1394924-post42.html

I like a good catastrophe theory but this one is kind of weak IMO. If the Mayan's didn't believe the end of their calendar era meant the end of the world then why should we? They ought to know what their own calendar means after all.
Yes, I did. :) I figure if you want to believe in the Mayan tales of doom....might as well believe in the Christian tales of doom. Same thing....the Mayan's just added specific dates.

Trey of Diamonds

I figure if you want to believe in the Mayan tales of doom

The only problem is there's no tales of doom, at least not accociated with the calendar. The Mayan's believe that there are multiple eras and each gets its own calendar. There were eras prior to the one we are in now and there will be others after. No big deal according to them. Remember the old song, Age of Aquarius? The Mayan era's could be compared to our Astrological Ages which last around 2150 years.

(BTW, The Age of Aquarius won't be dawning until 2600 give or take. We are currently in the Age of Pisces.)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
The only problem is there's no tales of doom, at least not accociated with the calendar. The Mayan's believe that there are multiple eras and each gets its own calendar. There were eras prior to the one we are in now and there will be others after. No big deal according to them. Remember the old song, Age of Aquarius? The Mayan era's could be compared to our Astrological Ages which last around 2150 years.

(BTW, The Age of Aquarius won't be dawning until 2600 give or take. We are currently in the Age of Pisces.)
I understand, but some people are associating the calendar drop off with tales of doom. I'm simply addressing that point and trying to keep my replies in this thread simple and not get another thread going like the one we already have. :)

Sorry, I generally am working when I post during the day and can give pretty short replies. :p

Are you wanting to discuss a more serious, studious aspect to the calendar?

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
This is the time of prophecy about a 2012 Doomsday. Just about everybody has heard of the date 2012 and read about 2012 doomsday predictions. Most people hear about Dec 21, 2012 and say, “Hmm, isn’t that when the Mayan calendar ends? :sad4:

I don't care about it because it's bogus.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
Also....why can't the Mayans being tired just be the reason for them stopping the calendar? I mean 2012 was PRETTY far off. I think they felt safe leaving it at that. ;)

gnostic

The Lost One
Am I worried about? No.

Do I care about it? No. Only from a scholar's point of view and my curiosity are peaked.

I am fascinated by it, and find the Mayan calendar to be interesting subject at the water cooler.