• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone....

FFH

Veteran Member
If I go to my bishop and ask him to forgive me, for doing such and such, he will say. "well you'll need to prove to me that you have repented, so here's a grace period, in which you can test yourself to see if you are actually repentant".

God does the same thing for us, but if we continue in sin, there is no forgiveness, and the former sins will come back to condemn us. This is scriptural.

Read scripture...

Hope

Princesinha
Of course, I now know how unrealistic that was. I mean, look at our high rate of divorce... The average age for people to get married is now 27 (from what I remember)... Are people really going to wait that long? Come on. I just don't see what the big deal is. Sex is.... well Sex. Just a natural aspect of human nature.

Ummm...actually, it is possible to wait that long, believe it or not. I'm 30 and still waiting. It's called self-control. An apparent lost art these days. ;)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
God does the same thing for us, but if we continue in sin, there is no forgiveness, and the former sins will come back to condemn us. This is scriptural.
Show me the scripture... especially where "God does the same thing"...

It's obvious you (and possibly your Bishop) are merely ADDING to the Scriptures. Tut, tut!

Scuba Pete

Ummm...actually, it is possible to wait that long, believe it or not. I'm 30 and still waiting. It's called self-control. An apparent lost art these days. ;)
Yeah, I was a virgin when I was married at 25. It wasn't that hard if you are not preoccupied by it.

FFH

Veteran Member
Show me the scripture... especially where "God does the same thing"...

It's obvious you (and possibly your Bishop) are merely ADDING to the Scriptures. Tut, tut!
I Have a bunch of scriptures which flood my mind but got to go for now, will post them later... At work now and its too busy...

FFH

Veteran Member
Okay got my work done...

Just realized this is not in the Bible, but it is considered inspired scripture anyway, whether it is accepted by those not of our faith or not.

Take it for what it's worth, I realize it's LDS scripture and would not be accepted by most. I will post others from the New Testament.

This one comes to mind the loudest for now....

Doctrine and Covenants 19: 4, 15-17, 20
4 And surely every man must repent or suffer, for I, God, am endless.
• • •
15 Therefore I command you to repent—repent, lest I smite you by the rod of my mouth, and by my wrath, and by my anger, and your sufferings be sore—how sore you know not, how exquisite you know not, yea, how hard to bear you know not.

16 For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent;

17 But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I;
• • •
20 Wherefore, I command you again to repent, lest I humble you with my almighty power; and that you confess your sins, lest you suffer these punishments of which I have spoken, of which in the smallest, yea, even in the least degree you have tasted at the time I withdrew my Spirit.

Scuba Pete

So, you added to the scriptures after all. So sad, too bad. Thanks for playing, and next time you claim something is in the Bible, please be accurate.

FFH

Veteran Member
This is where we, as LDS, and other religions seem to collide..

Mosiah 18: 20 (Book of Mormon)
Yea, even he commanded them that they should preach nothing save it were repentance and faith on the Lord, who had redeemed his people.

Doctrine and Covenants 6: 9
Say nothing but repentance unto this generation; keep my commandments, and assist to bring forth my work, according to my commandments, and you shall be blessed.

Doctrine and Covenants 11: 9
Say nothing but repentance unto this generation. Keep my commandments, and assist to bring forth my work, according to my commandments, and you shall be blessed.

FFH

Veteran Member
So, you added to the scriptures after all. So sad, too bad. Thanks for playing, and next time you claim something is in the Bible, please be accurate.
Yeah, it seems the ones that were flooding my mind were all LDS scripture. Sorry man, that's where we differ, but I'll get some others together later that are found in the Bible...

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
Does anyone here honestly, 100% believe that if people have sex before they're married, (whatever you consider "marriage" to be) that the guilty parties are going to hell?

There is no hell, only hell on earth for the living, so no I don't believe it. If it was so, I'm already condemmed many times over lol.

Melissa

Cynic

I know its possible, just very improbable for someone to wait that long in an American society. And, its probably easier for people who's sex drive is not as robust. Not everyone's sex drive is the same.

Hope

Princesinha
I know its possible, just very improbable for someone to wait that long in an American society. And, its probably easier for people who's sex drive is not as robust. Not everyone's sex drive is the same.

I can assure you I have a very healthy sex drive. :D :eek: It ain't got nothing to do that, at least in my case.

The only reason it's improbable for people to wait very long in American society is because our society today is over-sexualized. If sex wasn't blared so much on TV and movie screens, magazines, etc., etc., I think the problem would be lessened significantly.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If I go to my bishop and ask him to forgive me, for doing such and such, he will say. "well you'll need to prove to me that you have repented, so here's a grace period, in which you can test yourself to see if you are actually repentant".
I think it a lot more likely that your Bishop will remind you that it's not his place to forgive you. It's his place to help you through the repentence process so that you can stand before God with a clear conscience. I can't even fathom a bishop saying something like you've suggested.
Read scripture...
Yes, please do.

FFH

Veteran Member
I think it a lot more likely that your Bishop will remind you that it's not his place to forgive you. It's his place to help you through the repentence process but it's God place alone to forgive you.
Of course, only God can forgive sins, but church leaders are God's mouth piece's on earth and they have to make decisions whether someone has repented or not, in serious situations...

God forgives sins, but in serious cases church leaders decide whether a person has sincerely repented or not. Sorry if I didn't make that clear..

Isabella Lecour

amor aeternus est
Does anyone here honestly, 100% believe that if people have sex before they're married, (whatever you consider "marriage" to be) that the guilty parties are going to hell?

Not me. It is no sin to have sex before, during or after marriage in the proper frame of mind. The only sexually sin is the abuse and violation of this sacred act.

Those who abuse this most holy of acts face a torment equal to ever burning fire.

FFH

Veteran Member
Pete said:
Thank goodness you are not in charge of heaven! I don't think I have encountered such a mean spirited rendition of Christianity. I hope you measure up to the judgments you are putting out.
So it's okay to just do what we want and no punishment will be affixed to anything we do..

We can just do as we please with no fear of punishment...

That's not what Christ said.

2 Nephi 28 (Book of Mormon)
8 And there shall also be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry; nevertheless, fear God—he will justify in committing a little sin; yea, lie a little, take the advantage of one because of his words, dig a pit for thy neighbor; there is no harm in this; and do all these things, for tomorrow we die; and if it so be that we are guilty, God will beat us with a few stripes, and at last we shall be saved in the kingdom of God.

9 Yea, and there shall be many which shall teach after this manner, false and vain and foolish doctrines, and shall be puffed up in their hearts, and shall seek deep to hide their counsels from the Lord; and their works shall be in the dark.

Alma 42: 16, 18, 22 (Book of Mormon)
16 Now, repentance could not come unto men except there were a punishment, which also was eternal as the life of the soul should be, affixed opposite to the plan of happiness, which was as eternal also as the life of the soul.

• • •
18 Now, there was a punishment affixed, and a just law given, which brought remorse of conscience unto man.

• • •
22 But there is a law given, and a punishment affixed, and a repentence granted; which repentance, mercy claimeth; otherwise, justice claimeth the creature and executeth the law, and the law inflicteth the punishment; if not so, the works of justice would be destroyed, and God would cease to be God.

2 Nephi 2: 10 (Book of Mormon)
10 And because of the intercession for all, all men come unto God; wherefore, they stand in the presence of him, to be judged of him according to the truth and holiness which is in him. Wherefore, the ends of the law which the Holy One hath given, unto the inflicting of the punishment which is affixed, which punishment that is affixed is in opposition to that of the happiness which is affixed, to answer the ends of the atonement—