• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Atheism Lead to Immoral Behavior?

F1fan

Veteran Member
It's not disrespectful to point out the truth.
Some atheists are annoyed and critical of believers because they cannot see what is so obvious to the believers, but it is not our problem that they cannot see what is so well evidenced.
Another unverified claim that aims to benefit you and your beliefs, not reveal any truth.
What I believe is reality, the only reality that matters.
Yet it isn't reality. That you believe it is, and that you won't question it, is why religion is an illusion.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Another unverified claim that aims to benefit you and your beliefs, not reveal any truth.
What other people choose to believe or disbelieve does not benefit me in any way.
I am only responsible to God for my own beliefs.
Yet it isn't reality. That you believe it is, and that you won't question it, is why religion is an illusion.
I have investigated it and that is how I came to the conclusion that it is reality.
There is Physical reality and Spiritual reality and the latter is by far more important since it is everlasting.

F1fan

Veteran Member
What other people choose to believe or disbelieve does not benefit me in any way.
I am only responsible to God for my own beliefs.
Nowhere do you state that truth is important to you. It is to critical thinkers.
I have investigated it and that is how I came to the conclusion that it is reality.
With no commitment to truth a believer will always find out they were correct.
There is Physical reality and Spiritual reality and the latter is by far more important since it is everlasting.
No commitment to truth, just to belief.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Nowhere do you state that truth is important to you. It is to critical thinkers.
The truth is all that matters to me.
With no commitment to truth a believer will always find out they were correct.
With a commitment to finding the truth a believer has hope of finding out the truth.
No commitment to truth, just to belief.
A belief that is true is the truth. That is what I am committed to.

F1fan

Veteran Member
The truth is all that matters to me.
All believers say this, yet they believe different and conflicting things.
With a commitment to finding the truth a believer has hope of finding out the truth.
They do so without using reason and logic, and rely on learned assumptions, so truth can't be found, only dogma. That's why theists believe all sorts of conflicting and inconsistent ideas, yet all claim "truth".
A belief that is true is the truth. That is what I am committed to.
All belief is uncertain. Belief is a judgment we humans make and it can be totally baseless, or highly probable. It all depends on the evidence. As we see some folks believe in conspiracy theories that are complete nonsense, and arguably religious concepts are in a similar category. Religious beliefs have massive influence because they are traditions of belief. They are spread due to social behavior, not because a person investigates the claims and makes a sound and objective conclusion.

Knowledge is often called justified true belief. That is a humble description to my mind. We know the Spartans existed. We know Julius Caesar existed. We can't be sure a Jesus existed. The Jesus Christ myth is surely not true. Your messenger surely existed, but what he claims in his writings are unlikely true.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
All believers say this, yet they believe different and conflicting things.
I was waiting for you to say this...
It is irrelevant that all believers say this, yet they believe different and conflicting things.
Truth is truth, and I think other believers also have truth, but it is not as clear as God's message for this day that came through Baha'u'llah.
It is like muddy water, muddied by hundreds of years of misinterpretation and misapplication of scriptures.
They do so without using reason and logic, and rely on learned assumptions, so truth can't be found, only dogma. That's why theists believe all sorts of conflicting and inconsistent ideas, yet all claim "truth".
I will grant you that is true of all the older religions, especially Christianity, a religion of dogma.
Blind acceptance of dogma is one reason why theists believe all sorts of conflicting and inconsistent ideas, since they have different dogmas.
Dogmas are man-made, they don't come from God.
All belief is uncertain. Belief is a judgment we humans make and it can be totally baseless, or highly probable.
Religious belief is not subject to proof, that is why it is belief and not fact, but we can be certain of our beliefs nonetheless.
It all depends on the evidence. As we see some folks believe in conspiracy theories that are complete nonsense, and arguably religious concepts are in a similar category. Religious beliefs have massive influence because they are traditions of belief. They are spread due to social behavior, not because a person investigates the claims and makes a sound and objective conclusion.
I will grant that some religious beliefs are complete nonsense, like the rapture, Jesus coming down from the clouds in the sky, or people rising from the dead on judgment day, but to claim that all religions are nonsense just because some religions are nonsense is the fallacy of hasty generalization and the fallacy of jumping to conclusions.
Knowledge is often called justified true belief. That is a humble description to my mind. We know the Spartans existed. We know Julius Caesar existed. We can't be sure a Jesus existed. The Jesus Christ myth is surely not true. Your messenger surely existed, but what he claims in his writings are unlikely true.
Historian James Dunn writes: "Today nearly all historians, whether Christians or not, accept that Jesus existed". In a 2011 review of the state of modern scholarship, Ehrman wrote: "He certainly existed, as virtually every competent scholar of antiquity, Christian or non-Christian, agrees."
Historical Jesus - Wikipedia

However, the stories about Jesus that are contained in the New Testaments are not necessarily true. They are most likely mythical.

There is no way to verify if the claims that Baha'u'llah made are true. All we can do is try to determine for ourselves if we believe He was a messenger of God, in which case we will believe that His claims were true.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
First violent crime is way way down.
The Middle Ages were a dangerous time to live, with some historians suggesting that violent crime was at least 10 times higher than it is today. For example, in 13th century England, there was roughly one murder per 20 villages each year. In the 1340s, Oxford had a homicide rate of 110 per 100,000, which was considered unacceptably high by contemporaries. In comparison, the UK's homicide rate in 2011 was 1 per 100,000.
Being religious certainly doesn't stop it. Covering up crime is also immoral.
About 250,000 cases of child sexual abuse in the church. But just what we know about in modern times.
The global scale of child sexual abuse in the Catholic Church
France
"An independent inquiry on Tuesday said it had concluded there were about 216,000 victims of sexual abuse carried out by the French Catholic Church’s clergy between 1950 and 2020."
Australia
It found that 4,444 alleged incidents of child sexual abuse had been reported to Church authorities. In some dioceses, more than 15 percent of priests were perpetrators.
Germany
It revealed that 314 minors, mostly boys under the age of 14, were sexually abused there between 1975 and 2018.
A German Bishops’ Conference study in 2018 had previously revealed widespread sexual abuse by German clergy.
United States
According to lawyers, more than 11,000 complaints have been lodged in the US by victims of priests. Dioceses have paid out hundreds of millions of dollars in out of court settlements.
Ireland
Accusations of large-scale sex crimes in Ireland’s Catholic institutions go back decades, with the number of underage victims estimated at nearly 15,000 between 1970 and 1990 alone. Several bishops and priests accused of covering up abuse have been punished.
The official Ryan Commission report in 2009 found widespread abuse of children in Catholic-run institutions between the 1930s and the 1970s.
It said church-run orphanages and industrial schools were places of fear, neglect and endemic sexual abuse.
The 2009 Murphy report into the Dublin archdiocese said that between 1975 and 2004 the Church had “obsessively” concealed abuse.
And after another highly critical report in 2011, into the Cloyne diocese, the Vatican recalled its ambassador after the then Irish premier accused it of obstructing investigations into sexual abuse by priests.
What is one's suggestion for its cure, please, right?
Does one has the statistics for the Atheism(et al) for the corresponding period, right, please?
Anybody with the data "statistics for the Atheism(et al) for the corresponding period", please.

Regards

joelr

Anybody with the data "statistics for the Atheism(et al) for the corresponding period", please.

Regards
It's from Pew Research, universities,

The sex abuse cases were from a documentary on the issue. Did you just disrespect the thousands of children who suffered sexual abuse?