• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Christmas have anything to do with Christ?

Does Xmas (Christmas) have anything to do with Christ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sincerly

,we are all sinners.We will never get it right.God's standards are wa

I voted "no", merely because the option I might have chosen was unavailable.

It's hardly a secret nor a historically hidden accounting to readily observe that Christian beliefs, long ago, have repeatedly claimed pagan observances and "celebrations" as errant Christian 'beliefs".

Facts are less unbiased, and quite clear. Virtually NO religious scholar nor any secular historian would clim with absolute certainty that a prophet named "Jesus" was "born" on Dec. 25th. No one knows with any specificity or certainty. NO ONE.

Yet, and before we all toss out such an observance with the bathwater, allow us all to at least acknowledge the actual sentiment and cause for such a "holiday". The notion of compassion, sharing, giving, sharing, generosity, and caring are hardly bound or tied one whit to religious beliefs, or that is my own hope. If giving a damn about the entirety of the human condition is bound solely to religious affiliations or beliefs alone...well.

As both a secularist and strident unbeliever (as defined) by any organized religion, My everlasting hope remains that people maintain the priorities of compassion and caring for others above any and all religious implications/beliefs. Whether your brand of mythology is grounded in a story two, four, or more millennia old, in the end...we're still just people. Religion comes and goes. People of need/want/hopes will remain until the extinction of our species.

WE "celebrate" the "spirit" of Christmas in that vein, and hope that others might do so in that understanding.

s2a, that compassion for others is the based upon the last six of the Decalogue--as expressed in Lev.19:18; Rom.13:8-10, "Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."
Or I'm sure you have knowledge of the "Golden Rule"---"do unto others as you would have them do to you."

The "spirit of Christmas" is seen in the angelic tidings when Jesus Christ was born(on whatever day or month). "Peace on earth and good-will toward men."

So---is it "joy to the world" or "Bah humbug"?? Everyone will make that decision.

s2a, that compassion for others is the based upon the last six of the Decalogue--as expressed in Lev.19:18; Rom.13:8-10, "Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."
Or I'm sure you have knowledge of the "Golden Rule"---"do unto others as you would have them do to you."

The "spirit of Christmas" is seen in the angelic tidings when Jesus Christ was born(on whatever day or month). "Peace on earth and good-will toward men."

So---is it "joy to the world" or "Bah humbug"?? Everyone will make that decision.

?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Don't be so stupid! Christmas is NOT a Christian holiday, it is a holiday of Christendom. True Christian's are no part of any religion, anyone part of a religion falsely claiming to be Christian are of Christendom. Babylon the Great. Revelation to John, and Galations both say religion is FALSE. Revelation says it will ALL be destroyed.

Dude! Don't call me "stupid" for stating FACTS! It makes you look stupid!

MikeSavage

That is your decision. God said to not touch the unclean thing, and Christmas is a pagan holiday. Most religions are half pagan, and claim to be Christian. True Christianity is NOT A RELIGION and no true Christian has anything whatsoever to do with anything pagan, or anything that is part of the world. That includes politics, wars, greed, desires of the world, and on and on. Galations 5:19-21 is a pretty good place to look for a list of things to avoid.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That is your decision. God said to not touch the unclean thing, and Christmas is a pagan holiday. Most religions are half pagan, and claim to be Christian. True Christianity is NOT A RELIGION and no true Christian has anything whatsoever to do with anything pagan, or anything that is part of the world. That includes politics, wars, greed, desires of the world, and on and on. Galations 5:19-21 is a pretty good place to look for a list of things to avoid.
I didn't see holiday on the list.
Colossians 2:16
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

A wedding ring is an unclean thing too. Isn't it?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
You keep throwing around the phrase "true Christian" as though it means anything other than "what speaker thinks Christian should be".

allfoak

Alchemist
I would say that the Christ and Christmas connection has become little more than tradition and void of any real meaning.
Having said that...the average person needs traditions and reasons to celebrate.
They are cultural expressions.
Telling my friends and family that they should not do these things because i don't do it, is about as arrogant as one can get.

16710414-emoticon-in-a-hat-santa.jpg

MikeSavage

I didn't see holiday on the list.
Colossians 2:16
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

A wedding ring is an unclean thing too. Isn't it?

Is it pagan? Your scripture quote isn't the only scripture that speaks of things to avoid and the will of God. Picking and choosing scriptures isn't a very effective way to learn about God and His requirements for us.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is it pagan? Your scripture quote isn't the only scripture that speaks of things to avoid and the will of God. Picking and choosing scriptures isn't a very effective way to learn about God and His requirements for us.
Are you telling yourself what you are telling me? It seems to me Colossians is telling us don't judge. YOU say Christmas is unclean. That is judging which is something Colossians 2:16 warns about.

I have heard wedding rings have a pagan beginning. Jehovah's Witnesses wear wedding rings. I don't. Does it make me a better person that I don't wear a ring? Is God pleased with me for my naked finger?

MikeSavage

Are you telling yourself what you are telling me? It seems to me Colossians is telling us don't judge. YOU say Christmas is unclean. That is judging which is something Colossians 2:16 warns about.

I have heard wedding rings have a pagan beginning. Jehovah's Witnesses wear wedding rings. I don't. Does it make me a better person that I don't wear a ring? Is God pleased with me for my naked finger?

I don't either. I am not married. There is no scripture telling us not to wear a wedding ring.
Telling one what a scripture, or scriptures say is not judging. God judged it unclean. He judged anything pagan unclean. Christmas is demonstrably unclean. It's origins are pagan. The son of God was born in fall, not winter. Jesus said that one's birthday is unimportant, only his death is important. I believe that you're using the "judging" thing in a way it was not intended. You're not getting the sense of the scripture you quoted. Read it contextually. Compare it to all other scriptures in the Bible that mention similar things. Use the cross reference. It's very enlightening.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So knowing Christmas' origin makes it unclean. If I didn't know it came from a non Christian source it wouldn't be unclean, like weddng rings.

MikeSavage

So knowing Christmas' origin makes it unclean. If I didn't know it came from a non Christian source it wouldn't be unclean, like weddng rings.

Not knowing it's unclean is not doing God's will. If one took in ACCURATE information about God, His Word, and His requirements for us, one would know that Christmas, or anything else unclean, IS unclean. We are required to know these things, as we are required to know God's inspired word. We are required to study it daily, by God Himself. If one did that, one would know that Jesus said to disregard one's birthday, but to memorialize their death. One would know what time of year Jesus was born. One would know to be "no part of the world". Not studying God's word prevents one from knowing that all religions claiming to be Christian are not Christian. The scriptures tell us that ALL religion is false, and originated with Satan in the garden in Eden. The religions claiming to be Christian are actually at best, less than half Christian, with the other part being mostly pagan. That's why they're called Christendom. No true Christian would EVER be part of ANY religion. So the only true Christian source is the inspired word of God. Jesus taught the "one true faith", as he called it, and it's NOT a religion, it's Christianity. It's belief in Jesus ransom sacrifice, his Father's sacrifice of His son, and it's doing the entire will of God. That's Christianity. It's not a church, a religion, has no clergy, and so on.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We are required to know these things, as we are required to know God's inspired word. ..... One would know what time of year Jesus was born. .
Then I guess every soul fails as no one will ever know when exactly Jesus was born.
One would know to be "no part of the world". .....
I think you do not know what being no poart of the world means.
The scriptures tell us that ALL religion is false, and originated with Satan in the garden in Eden. The religions claiming to be Christian are actually at best, less than half Christian, with the other part being mostly pagan. ..... No true Christian would EVER be part of ANY religion.
Even your religion? May I ask what it is please?
So the only true Christian source is the inspired word of God. Jesus taught the "one true faith", as he called it, and it's NOT a religion, it's Christianity. It's belief in Jesus ransom sacrifice, his Father's sacrifice of His son,
OK
and it's doing the entire will of God.....
If I could, would and DID do the entire will of God I would be without sin. Do you know what scripture says about that?

MikeSavage

I think I want a scripture proving "Jesus said to disregard one's birthday".

Ok. Start doing the research. You will find many. The first is the death of John the Babtizer. He was killed as a birthday wish for a pagan king's daughter. The next one is the death of a head servant on another's birthday. Continue by researching giving glory to anyone other than God the Almighty. If you have a copy of the scriptures, you shouldn't have much trouble with this research.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ok. Start doing the research. You will find many. The first is the death of John the Babtizer. He was killed as a birthday wish for a pagan king's daughter. The next one is the death of a head servant on another's birthday. Continue by researching giving glory to anyone other than God the Almighty. If you have a copy of the scriptures, you shouldn't have much trouble with this research.
NO! You said "Jesus says" . Is Jesus a person? Or, according to you, is Jesus the Bible? Is Jesus The Bible?

MikeSavage

NO! You said "Jesus says" . Is Jesus a person? Or, according to you, is Jesus the Bible? Is Jesus The Bible?

You are hysterical. Why? How could Jesus be a book made up of 60 other books? That makes no sense. What do you mean by "no"? You are unwilling to find out for yourself? Must you always rely on others to provide the information that you should be seeking for yourself? Jesus didn't say to get accurate information from someone else about God daily. He said to seek accurate information daily, to take it in. If you're unwilling to do that little part of God's will, then you won't any other part of His will either.