• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Islam promote violence?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Not at all. For example, from a domestic view, you can't get anymore physicial than death. And many states, including my own, still allows for corpal punishment in schools and other government facilities.

When you move into the federal arena, there are all types of "interrogation" techniques at play, and the military isn't know for its soft touch. To date there is only one form of execution that has been ruled unconstitutional by the USSC: drawing and quartering.

Honestly, why any politician would think that a force trained to defeat and kill an enemy would make a good police force is beyond me. The military should fight wars, and the police should worry about civilians. But I guess that's a bit off topic for this one.

Thanks for making that clear - I was misunderstanding you. I'm not now :)

Bismillah

Submit
US Citizens?
There are U.S citizens in Gitmo

Considering Padilla was held for years in military custody with no formal charges brought, many were shocked by this move by the George W. Bush presidential administration,[25] and some[who?] reasoned that a repeat of such a process would allow the U.S. government to detain citizens indefinitely without presenting the cause that would eventually be tried.

U.S. Can Confine Citizens Without Charges, Court Rules

Military Commissions Act of 2006 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
The military is not brought in to deal with civilian matters ever. That's what the police are for.

Stop looking for the most narrow view possible. I never said nor implied domesticly.
There are soldiers (and not just Americans) serving in police roles all around the world.

Bismillah

Submit
Yes. I will not concede on corporal punishment though.
But it happens in Western correctional facilities as well. And the traditional system does not work. So like I said earlier
Actually it does, one could easily argue that if a greater deterrent prevents crimes it is humane and just in that it both protects society and would be criminals.

Looncall

Actually it does, one could easily argue that if a greater deterrent prevents crimes it is humane and just in that it both protects society and would be criminals. I have some statistics in a book back home that I'll dig out for you that should illustrate the point.

All this is somewhat beside the point. Much torture occurs before the issue of punishment even arises. It is pretty much a given that anyone who falls into the hands of the police in muslim countries can expect to be tortured, whether they are ever tried or not. Some are beaten to death during questioning, such as the Canadian woman in Iran.

There seems to be a pervasive cruelty and an indifference to the rights of individuals.

Bismillah

Submit
I know that not all Muslims are cruel but countries like Saudi Arabia are very cruel. People learn their stereotypes from such countries.
Saudi Arabia is cruel on other Muslims as well for the crime of not being Arab. Most Muslims look at their leaders with disgust because they are imposed on them.

Photonic

Ad astra!
Saudi Arabia is cruel on other Muslims as well for the crime of not being Arab. Most Muslims look at their leaders with disgust because they are imposed on them.

I took a few classes in Farsi. The teacher and most of the students were from Iran. They HATE their leader. I mean really hate him, you think Obama is hated he's got nothing on the level of hate that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has managed to garner.

Bismillah

Submit
I took a few classes in Farsi. The teacher and most of the students were from Iran. They HATE their leader. I mean really hate him, you think Obama is hated he's got nothing on the level of hate that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has managed to garner.
True it is a common sentiment thought I'd expect there would be some variables. For example, many American-Iranians are expats from the old revolution and hate the Ayatollahs that seized power from what was a revolution supported from all walks of lief (Muslim leaders, academics, secular communists etc. etc.)

gnostic

The Lost One
I don't think Islam could possibly exist, if they didn't have enemies to fight with, to conquer and to subjugate.

D-MITCH777

I would say that the vast majority if not all the Muslims I have meet was peaceful, but Islam as a Ideology does promote violence. The only way in Islam for a believer to definitively go to heaven is by becoming a Martyr.

Onkara

I don't think Islam could possibly exist, if they didn't have enemies to fight with, to conquer and to subjugate.

Unfortunately, Muslims also fight between themselves e.g. Shia versus Shi'ite. A few Muslims have killed their own family. Not all Muslims of course, as each man (soul) is held accountable by Allah it seems.

I don't think Islam exists to fight non-muslims, but statements in the Quran depend on the existence of non-believers in order for it to hold as true (and I think that is your point?).

Landerage

Araknor
You can't judge a religion simply by studying the characters of it's folowers. In order to have a genuine image of Islam, each need to study what the Qur'an says and based on that give their opinion. Let's suppose in Saudi Arabia all the muslims are violent and promote violence, that isn't evidence that Islam is the reason behind it. To be correct and not get oneself fooled by the media, simply go to the core which is the Qur'an and the Hadith.