• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the universe need intelligence to order it?

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
I have to say, for all the discussion, which has been most helpful at times, I don't see how the universe orders without intelligence being behind it, and imbued within it. This means the many universes that might well exist, would he exactly the same, requiring intelligence. I still don't see an argument as to why anything orders itself without intelligence. Processes and mechanisms are not an answer, as we have to explain where they come from, and so the same problem occurs.

Whether you go back to the: Where does God come from? argument, or whether you go back to the: Where does naturalism come from? it still leaves you with the same question. The difference seems to be that one has intelligence and one doesn't. I ponder over why we would run from such an answer as intelligence. Perhaps if there was no such thing as believe in God it might be more readily accepted. Certainly if we accept that he exists, then it explains why people would argue the point. But to say he doesn't does not explain why people still believe in well educated countries... even scientists who know more than the average man.
It must surely be surprising, if we have come about through luck and processes, and now have some primordial believe which is actually wrong. If it were wrong, then how can we be sure of any of our beliefs? How can we be sure of our own judgement on anything.

Ultimately then it is luck. The person who says that eventually we shall see there is a natural explanation to it all holds that philosophical statement by faith (how ironic). It is the same faith that Dawkins has- for that is his position.

There are those on this forum who say 'I don't know' where everything comes from etc, but if we consider there is no intelligence at all, then we have -if I can call it this- energy, that just does stuff.... It changes into other things, which become more ordered as it goes along. If for example, we are the only life form that there is, then we are the most intelligent part of that energy. It even begs the question how it could even happen.

By necessity something must exist before this universe as nothing comes from nothing, and we have something. It is quite amusing to thing they look for a Theory of Everything, yet they think it comes from Nothing!

Perhaps it is our understanding of what that intelligence might look like that is at fault. We are primarily bound by our own understanding in a fleshly body. It is not then surprising that we would look from that position. Perhaps it is the reliance on science.

The answer that there are more universes all of which have their own laws that make their universe function, yet being different to ours, does not alter the fact that ours is still fine tuned for life. Even if we say that we tuned ourselves to it, and every possible point of the universe did just that, it alters little. The universe is still highly improbable. Perhaps the whole things got worse if all the other universes work also. Now we have the fine tuning of a multiverse to think of! Is that the many rolls of the dice? But even that is held by faith, still a philosophical position. We have to believe that difference will occur and that it will form into something. What are the forces that govern all this? What are the processes and where, -more importantly- where do they come from? What forms them? How is it all possible that many universes have such fine tuning that they all work? Are we not back to square one?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
And the reason science cannot achieve it is because its method is dissection, reduction, and Reason. Nature is beyond Reason.
Nature is not beyond reason. We have understood many things. Many more would yield their secret in future. That somethings will never be known is without reason, just insistence on a view.
Where does naturalism come from? .. By necessity something must exist before this universe as nothing comes from nothing,
Where does God come from? :D
The point is debatable. Don't be too sure.

Last edited:

godnotgod

Thou art That
Nature is not beyond reason. We have understood many things. Many more would yield their secret in future. That somethings will never be known is without reason, just insistence on a view.

I am not saying nature is beyond sanity. On the contrary, to realize our kinship with nature is to keep our sanity. While there is intelligence in nature, there is no Reason, as Reason is the product of thought; of the mind. Nature, while without conceptual mind, is pure intelligence, but we fail to see it because we are looking in the wrong way. It is for this reason that science, which utilizes Reason, Logic, and Analysis as its methodology, continues to find itself in Paradox when attempting to approach nature. A mismatch between conceptual thought and nature is always the result. Yes, via science, we know many details about nature, but we don't understand the true nature of things via its approach. Another kind of understanding is required, one that is beyond Reason; one that sees directly into the very heart of Reality to see things just as they are, and not how Reason tells us they are. The universe is not a mechanical artifact; it is a living, conscious thing that fully contains and supports us, and until we realize that, we will be extremely limited in our understanding of both Reality and of ourselves. Both Yeshu and the Buddha warned against seeking origins outside ourselves. Instead they both pointed inwards. Once we solve the problem of the human condition, the world will then take on a different appearance.

Real knowledge is to be free of the known, as the known is a limited, encapsulated view.

'First there is a mountain;
then there is no mountain;
then there is'

Zen source

Last edited:

Robert.Evans

Nature is not beyond reason. We have understood many things. Many more would yield their secret in future. That somethings will never be known is without reason, just insistence on a view.Where does God come from? :D
The point is debatable. Don't be too sure.
I think we can be sure that there is a God, even without knowing it through the spirit given me. It is perhaps the concept of God that is the problem.... as you say, Don't be too sure.
And as pointed out, Where does God come from is equalled with Where does naturalism come from. Same problem.

Robert.Evans

I am not saying nature is beyond sanity. On the contrary, to realize our kinship with nature is to keep our sanity. While there is intelligence in nature, there is no Reason, as Reason is the product of thought; of the mind. Nature, while without conceptual mind, is pure intelligence, but we fail to see it because we are looking in the wrong way. It is for this reason that science, which utilizes Reason, Logic, and Analysis as its methodology, continues to find itself in Paradox when attempting to approach nature. A mismatch between conceptual thought and nature is always the result. Yes, via science, we know many details about nature, but we don't understand the true nature of things via its approach. Another kind of understanding is required, one that is beyond Reason; one that sees directly into the very heart of Reality to see things just as they are, and not how Reason tells us they are. The universe is not a mechanical artifact; it is a living, conscious thing that fully contains and supports us, and until we realize that, we will be extremely limited in our understanding of both Reality and of ourselves. Both Yeshu and the Buddha warned against seeking origins outside ourselves. Instead they both pointed inwards. Once we solve the problem of the human condition, the world will then take on a different appearance.

Real knowledge is to be free of the known, as the known is a limited, encapsulated view.

'First there is a mountain;
then there is no mountain;
then there is'

Zen source
Pardon my ignorance, but where does the end line come from? I know it is used in a song... that is how I recognised it ...haha. Your post is good.

godnotgod

Thou art That
I have to say, for all the discussion, which has been most helpful at times, I don't see how the universe orders without intelligence being behind it, and imbued within it. This means the many universes that might well exist, would he exactly the same, requiring intelligence. I still don't see an argument as to why anything orders itself without intelligence. Processes and mechanisms are not an answer, as we have to explain where they come from, and so the same problem occurs.

Whether you go back to the: Where does God come from? argument, or whether you go back to the: Where does naturalism come from? it still leaves you with the same question. The difference seems to be that one has intelligence and one doesn't. I ponder over why we would run from such an answer as intelligence. Perhaps if there was no such thing as believe in God it might be more readily accepted. Certainly if we accept that he exists, then it explains why people would argue the point. But to say he doesn't does not explain why people still believe in well educated countries... even scientists who know more than the average man.
It must surely be surprising, if we have come about through luck and processes, and now have some primordial believe which is actually wrong. If it were wrong, then how can we be sure of any of our beliefs? How can we be sure of our own judgement on anything.

Ultimately then it is luck. The person who says that eventually we shall see there is a natural explanation to it all holds that philosophical statement by faith (how ironic). It is the same faith that Dawkins has- for that is his position.

There are those on this forum who say 'I don't know' where everything comes from etc, but if we consider there is no intelligence at all, then we have -if I can call it this- energy, that just does stuff.... It changes into other things, which become more ordered as it goes along. If for example, we are the only life form that there is, then we are the most intelligent part of that energy. It even begs the question how it could even happen.

By necessity something must exist before this universe as nothing comes from nothing, and we have something. It is quite amusing to thing they look for a Theory of Everything, yet they think it comes from Nothing!

Perhaps it is our understanding of what that intelligence might look like that is at fault. We are primarily bound by our own understanding in a fleshly body. It is not then surprising that we would look from that position. Perhaps it is the reliance on science.

The answer that there are more universes all of which have their own laws that make their universe function, yet being different to ours, does not alter the fact that ours is still fine tuned for life. Even if we say that we tuned ourselves to it, and every possible point of the universe did just that, it alters little. The universe is still highly improbable. Perhaps the whole things got worse if all the other universes work also. Now we have the fine tuning of a multiverse to think of! Is that the many rolls of the dice? But even that is held by faith, still a philosophical position. We have to believe that difference will occur and that it will form into something. What are the forces that govern all this? What are the processes and where, -more importantly- where do they come from? What forms them? How is it all possible that many universes have such fine tuning that they all work? Are we not back to square one?

I think your dilemma is that you see intelligence and the universe as two separate things, as dualistic subject/object, when, in fact, they are one and the same. Why do you see it that way? Because you are looking at Reality via the discriminating, conditioned mind, but you don't realize that you are doing it. Remember my example of 'it is raining', where there is no 'it' that rains? Same problem: there is no universe separate from intelligence, and if the definition of universe, that is to say, Everything, including all multiverses and intergalactic space, then, by definition, there is no 'other' to which the Universe can be compared. IOW, the Uni-verse is, in actuality, The Absolute. And so we have the following:

'The universe IS the Absolute, as seen through the glass of Time, Space, and Causation'
Swami Vivekenanda

godnotgod

Thou art That
Pardon my ignorance, but where does the end line come from? I know it is used in a song... that is how I recognised it ...haha. Your post is good.

It comes from a song by Donovan called 'There is a Mountain'

There is an aphorism from Ch'an, [Zen] which was popularized by the Donovan song in the 1960's, which goes like this:

Before I had studied Ch'an for thirty years, I saw mountains as mountains, and rivers as rivers. When I arrived at a more intimate knowledge, I came to the point where I saw that mountains are not mountains, and rivers are not rivers. But now that I have got its very substance I am at rest. For it's just that I see mountains once again as mountains, and rivers once again as rivers.

If interested, expanded discussion here:

Zen Forum International • View topic - First there is a mountain

Last edited:

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
The intelligence manifested in watches is human intelligence sculpted by mind. Watches are merely following a predetermined, unspontaneous pattern. Watches are artifacts, products of past thought stored as memory; nature is not an artifact.

Watches are made, with intent and purpose. Nature grows, but without thought.

ex-actly , hence

an automated system 'without any idea of purpose or expectation of outcome'. e.g. something which 'opens spontaneously, without hesitation, apprehension or purpose' . with ' no thought about what it's doing, and yet, it knows exactly what to do'

does not prohibit ID, automated function does not denote automated origin, the opposite argument can be made at least as well

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Where does God come from is equalled with Where does naturalism come from.

Asking where the universe "comes from" is an interesting question, but currently I don't think we're anywhere near an answer. Probably it will be answered at some point in the distant future, but I suspect the answer will be a lot weirder than "God". It seems like the cosmologists are competing with each other to come up with the weirdest theory, but my instinct is that none of them are yet weird enough to be credible. ;)

Robert.Evans

I think your dilemma is that you see intelligence and the universe as two separate things, as dualistic subject/object, when, in fact, they are one and the same. Why do you see it that way? Because you are looking at Reality via the discriminating, conditioned mind, but you don't realize that you are doing it. Remember my example of 'it is raining', where there is no 'it' that rains? Same problem: there is no universe separate from intelligence, and if the definition of universe, that is to say, Everything, including all multiverses and intergalactic space, then, by definition, there is no 'other' to which the Universe can be compared. IOW, the Uni-verse is, in actuality, The Absolute. And so we have the following:

'The universe IS the Absolute, as seen through the glass of Time, Space, and Causation'
Swami Vivekenanda
I don't see it as separate... i agree with your comments. I have to ask, do you believe in God or are you a Buddhist? (or something)

Muffled

Jesus in me
Can you throw a bunch of lincoln logs on the floor and have them become a log cabin? I am willing to make odds that it can't happen because of the laws of Physics namely gravity.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The chances that any particular state of affairs would exist is statistically equal ( for instance, the sonnet 18 with a different last word is as probable as the sonnet 18 as is ) considering the example you are bringing up. Which makes the whole analogy and argument of no practical relevance.
I think the problem with this argument is that the universe did not have a monkey or a typewriter. I believe even our physical laws have their source in God. The fact that Oxygen can combine with hydrogen to form water exists because God created a law that says it will work that way.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I think the problem with this argument is that the universe did not have a monkey or a typewriter. I believe even our physical laws have their source in God. The fact that Oxygen can combine with hydrogen to form water exists because God created a law that says it will work that way.

Erm...We were talking about the chances that our universe might exist as is without a god.
You are free to believe as you wish.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Given this whole thread is based on the last of five dishonest straw man arguments, it's somewhat moot. There is a key misquote of a philosophical concept which entirely changes its relevance to the point he is making. The concept actually has either an infinite number of monkeys or an infinite amount of time (or, rather pointlessly, both). It isn't claiming that any given possibility will happen, only that any given possibility could happen, however unlikely (as long as it's greater than zero).
Anyway, it must be possible for the universe to exists in the manner it does despite the apparent endless alternative possibilities because it does. Introducing some form of controlling intelligence actually increases the complexity of the universe and just adds the existence of that intelligence to the overall problem. On the basis of the extremely limited information we currently have available, the chance of there being some kind of controlling intelligence and the chance of there not being are equal.
I believe the chance that I can build a lincoln log house by using intelligence is 100% and the chance that I can build one by throwing logs on the floor pretty close to zero although I believe a zero % chance to be more rational.

HonestJoe

I believe the chance that I can build a lincoln log house by using intelligence is 100% and the chance that I can build one by throwing logs on the floor pretty close to zero although I believe a zero % chance to be more rational.
That's nice, but it has nothing to do with the formation of the universe, which is the subject of the thread.

Robert.Evans

Pretty amazing that it does that though, eh? Two gases make a liquid! Reminds me of the Spirit of God hovering over the waters

Robert.Evans

That's nice, but it has nothing to do with the formation of the universe, which is the subject of the thread.
It has everything to do with it. It is not just the formation of the universe that is so spectacular, it is the matter and life within it when it completed. Spectacular things like that don't happen in this universe, not from the evidence we see here.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
This is a question that Physicist G. Schroeder asks:

Q: Very occasionally monkeys hammering away at typewriters will type out one of Shakespeare's sonnets.
In all of the pages of this debate did anyone challenge this question as being the accurate question? ...or even the author of the quote?