• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the universe need intelligence to order it?

HonestJoe

It has everything to do with it. It is not just the formation of the universe that is so spectacular, it is the matter and life within it when it completed. Spectacular things like that don't happen in this universe, not from the evidence we see here.
The seasonal variation of the watchmakers fallacy I was responding to has nothing to do with it because it's a fallacy.

The "spectacular" things you describe obviously do happen in this universe - otherwise we wouldn't be here to discuss them. The question is how they could have happened. It could have involved the influence of some form of great intelligence but that isn't the only possibility on the basis of the extremely limited evidence we have and the concept also raises a whole load more questions than it answers.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I believe the chance that I can build a lincoln log house by using intelligence is 100% and the chance that I can build one by throwing logs on the floor pretty close to zero although I believe a zero % chance to be more rational.

I'd agree, other than a log cabin is selling the universe a little short!

HonestJoe

In all of the pages of this debate did anyone challenge this question as being the accurate question? ...or even the author of the quote?
Yes, right on the very first page but it quickly descended in to a pointless circular tangent so I let it go. I think the thread had evolved on to the wider concept by that point (not that it's any less circular or pointless for that :cool: )

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Can you throw a bunch of lincoln logs on the floor and have them become a log cabin? I am willing to make odds that it can't happen because of the laws of Physics namely gravity.
But this analogy doesn't make sense, and if it was so obvious that it did, then why is it that the vast majority of cosmologists and physicists think otherwise? Sub-atomic particles in motion collide, thus producing new combinations, and what's so difficult to understand about that?

godnotgod

Thou art That
ex-actly , hence

an automated system 'without any idea of purpose or expectation of outcome'. e.g. something which 'opens spontaneously, without hesitation, apprehension or purpose' . with ' no thought about what it's doing, and yet, it knows exactly what to do'

does not prohibit ID, automated function does not denote automated origin, the opposite argument can be made at least as well

It's maker knows exactly what it wants the artifact to do. The artifact itself has no knowledge of what it is doing.

godnotgod

Thou art That
I believe the chance that I can build a lincoln log house by using intelligence is 100% and the chance that I can build one by throwing logs on the floor pretty close to zero although I believe a zero % chance to be more rational.

You assume that, like the log cabin, the universe is made, rather than grown. A universe that is made is an artifact, a dead thing, completely subject to the whims of its maker. The Christian image of God as Maker is that of a potter and pot as man, or God as a great architect of the world, as seen in Medieval imagery, God with compass in hand. This is known as the Ceramic, or Artifact View of the universe. The opposite view is that of Science, called The Fully Automatic Universe.

BOTH ARE EXTREME VIEWS.

The universe is not made, it is grown, and may be a manifestation, rather than something 'real', the 'real' being that which is manifesting it's myriad forms from within. Modern science tells us that atoms, contrary to the Newtonian view, are 99.9999....% empty space. The 'creation' may only be an illusion, a Grand Illusion at that. As the dream is perfectly real to you when you are in the dream state, so too this world seems perfectly real to the ordinary mind, when, in reality, may only be a dream, but a dream of a much higher caliber, and only detectable as such via a higher awakening.

Your lincoln logs will never yield a log cabin, but only dust, because 'log cabin' requires the intervention of a thinker-maker. The universe is not an outcome of the thought process. You are superimposing human characteristics onto nature and assuming a maker of the world exists as you exist as a maker of 'log cabin'. In psychological terms, that is known as Projection of the Ego.

Last edited:

godnotgod

Thou art That
Why, LOL, because it's inaccurate.

Yes, wasn't the original scenario that the monkeys would eventually produce a Bible?

Humans, who are apes, did not need typewriters to create the Bible. They only needed fear.

BTW, love your signature. Reminds me of a TV talk show I saw back in the 50's, where the two show hosts, who were Christians, were badgering their Buddhist guest into a confession of his 'sins'.

'C'mon, now', one insisted, 'YOU have sins, don'cha?'

to which the Buddhist replied:

'Yes, but they weren't MY sins!'

Last edited:

NulliuSINverba

I have to say, for all the discussion, which has been most helpful at times, I don't see how the universe orders without intelligence being behind it, and imbued within it.

See: Incredulity, Argument From

This means the many universes that might well exist, would he exactly the same, requiring intelligence.

Please explain in detail how you could possibly know a single thing about any proposed "other universes." Thanks.

And while you're at it, perhaps you might explain to us all what a non-created universe might look like?

I still don't see an argument as to why anything orders itself without intelligence.

Ibid.

Processes and mechanisms are not an answer...

Yes they are. However, you've fallaciously insisted on asking two questions at once. Are Process and Mechanisms an answer? Most probably, yes. Where they came from is another question altogether, isn't it?

as we have to explain where they come from

We do? Why?

and so the same problem occurs.

What is The Same Problem again? Not being able to state with absolute certainty the origin of everything?

Whether you go back to the: Where does God come from? argument, or whether you go back to the: Where does naturalism come from? it still leaves you with the same question.

Q. - Isn't nature simply a self-evident consequence of the universe?

Q - Meanwhile, you'd agree that supernatural, non-temporal, immaterial intelligence is not a self-evident consequence of the universe, correct?

Then why insist on attempting to draw a meaningful distinction between the two? And why are some theists willing to state unequivocally that their God has no creator, but unable (or perhaps unwilling) to grant this same special exception to the universe?

The difference seems to be that one has intelligence and one doesn't.

It cannot be stressed enough that the theistic side of this debate can only make wildly speculative claims about whatever intelligence (divine or otherwise) that they might "have." They cannot demonstrate it.

Additionally, if we allow that there indeed really is An Intelligence®, it has them and not the other way 'round, no? Who would have the temerity to assert ownership over Divine Intellect?

I ponder over why we would run from such an answer as intelligence.

Do you also ever ponder why anyone would run towards such an "answer" as intelligence?

Perhaps if there was no such thing as believe in God it might be more readily accepted.

So you're arguing that if no one believed in an infinite, supernatural intelligence floating around outside time and space called God, they might be more inclined to believe in an infinite, supernatural intelligence floating around outside time and space?

51089-leonardo-dicaprio-oscar-meme-6Fx4.jpeg

Certainly if we accept that he exists, then it explains why people would argue the point.

Does the confirmed existence of a god or gods tell us anything about their alleged intelligence? Couldn't the universe just as easily be the work of a committee of completely moronic gods?

But to say he doesn't does not explain why people still believe in well educated countries... even scientists who know more than the average man.

No one is arguing for or against the existence of well-educated countries. Or were you trying to say something else?

It must surely be surprising, if we have come about through luck and processes, and now have some primordial believe which is actually wrong.

Hah! Seriously? Even if we grant that humanity was indeed created, you don't need to hold a PhD in history to know that the entire stretch of humanity's existence has largely been one long episode of Getting It Wrong.

Let's play a round of Name That Primordial Belief and we'll see if it was in fact right or wrong. I'll start:

"Our sun orbits the earth." Primordial belief that was right or wrong?

If it were wrong, then how can we be sure of any of our beliefs? How can we be sure of our own judgement on anything.

Translation: When your beliefs and actions are dictated by Divine Authority, it sure makes everything a whole lot easier, doesn't it?

Ultimately then it is luck. The person who says that eventually we shall see there is a natural explanation to it all holds that philosophical statement by faith (how ironic).

You have failed to demonstrate that withholding judgement and avoiding unmerited certainty is an exercise in faith.

Typically, this is called "skepticism" and the reason we have an entirely different word for it is because ... (((drumroll))) ... it's a different thing altogether from faith.

It is the same faith that Dawkins has- for that is his position.

It isn't faith. Even the Bible says so:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." ~ Hebrews 11:1

Using this handy theistic definition of faith, it's impossible to conclude that science is a faith-based exercise. Sorry.

There are those on this forum who say 'I don't know' where everything comes from etc, but if we consider there is no intelligence at all ...

Who's advocating that there is no intelligence at all? Where did all those watches come from?

Some folks see intelligence as a possible consequence of time, space, and material existence. This is because the evidence leads to this conclusion.

Theists see intelligence is an immaterial antecedent of time, space, and material existence. This is because they insist on leading the evidence based on their conclusions. Their evidence? The superstitious claims of ignorant Bronze Age pastoralists.

... then we have -if I can call it this- energy, that just does stuff.... It changes into other things, which become more ordered as it goes along.

Do "things" become more ordered as "it" goes along?

If for example, we are the only life form that there is, then we are the most intelligent part of that energy.

We are not the only life form that there is. Next?

It even begs the question how it could even happen.

How? It seems much more accurate to say that creationism begs the question by assuming that there is a divine intelligence.

By necessity something must exist before this universe as nothing comes from nothing ...

So you're arguing that God didn't create the universe from nothing, correct? What sort of material did he have to work with prior to the creation of the universe?

and we have something. It is quite amusing to thing they look for a Theory of Everything, yet they think it comes from Nothing!

Wait. Aren't theists the ones arguing that everything came from nothing? That God created the universe ex nihilo?

Isn't the Bible pretty clear on the question? Don't most theists start from the assumption that there was nothing in existence prior to God's alleged act of creation? If so, then it's quite accurate to say that creationists are claiming to know that everything came from nothing.

As you yourself have been arguing, this "something-from-nothing theology" does seem counter-intuitive. Is this why creationists have been obliged to posit the existence of a god (or gods) to spackle over this incongruity?

Perhaps it is our understanding of what that intelligence might look like that is at fault.

Please explain how a non-temporal, immaterial, supernatural intelligence could look like anything. Thanks.

We are primarily bound by our own understanding in a fleshly body. It is not then surprising that we would look from that position. Perhaps it is the reliance on science.

"There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, and science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works.” ~ Stephen Hawking

The answer that there are more universes all of which have their own laws that make their universe function, yet being different to ours, does not alter the fact that ours is still fine tuned for life.

It's only fine-tuned for life as we know it, isn't it? And if we're the only life in the entire universe, isn't it much more accurate to say that this universe is rather badly-tuned for life? Do we in fact have evidence of life elsewhere to support the notion that the entire universe is "fine-tuned" for life?

Really, it's just our planet, not the universe ... right? If you moved the Earth to some other spot in the solar system, it wouldn't support life as we know it.

Even if we say that we tuned ourselves to it ...

As if we could decide to tune ourselves at all?

and every possible point of the universe did just that, it alters little. The universe is still highly improbable.

Yet here we are. Feel free to quibble and fret over the odds.

Perhaps the whole things got worse if all the other universes work also. Now we have the fine tuning of a multiverse to think of!

We live in a universe where discussions of other planets have been made possible by science. Perhaps some day in the future, science will allow us to visit some of these other planets? Perhaps even some day, other universes will be the more than just the subject of hypothetical thinking?

For now, we have an incalculably vast universe of own to be concerned with.

involves a Is that the many rolls of the dice? But even that is held by faith, still a philosophical position.

Care to recast that last bit in the name of clarity?

We have to believe that difference will occur and that it will form into something.

Unsubstantiated claim. Why do we have to believe in any difference(s) occurring and forming into something?

What are the forces that govern all this?

See: Physics 101.

What are the processes and where, -more importantly- where do they come from?

What if The Processes are simply an attribute of matter itself?

What forms them?

Perhaps they were not "formed" separately? Perhaps they're an inevitable consequence of existence?

How is it all possible that many universes have such fine tuning that they all work?

1.) You haven't demonstrated that other universes exist.
2.) You haven't demonstrated that other universes are finely tuned.
2.) You haven't explained how humanity could possibly do more than speculate about these other universes even if they do exist.

Are we not back to square one?

What's Square One again? That the universe exists? I suppose so.

It's correct to say that monotheistic creationists claim to know (based on little/bad/nonexistent evidence) that an eternal, non-temporal, disembodied, just and merciful, insanely jealous, supernatural intelligence created the universe warts 'n all, right? I say "Let 'em."

Other folks may prefer to not make declarations of certainty (based on little/bad/nonexistent evidence). I say "Let 'em."

Meanwhile, Dr. Satoshi Kanazawa (of the London School of Economics and Political Science) has concluded from his research that:

"Humans are evolutionarily designed to be paranoid, and they believe in God because they are paranoid." ~ Satoshi Kanazawa

I say "Let 'im."

Last edited:

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I would like to chime in about the supposed 'Nothing' from which the Universe began. It is not "Nothing" in the sense of "nothing there". It is "Nothing" in the sense of "It is so alien to our senses and very thought processes that we could not observe it were it constantly surrounding us". It is something that would inherently have been before the laws of physics began to exist, which means that it would not conform to anything we could ever know, because what we can know is limited by those laws.

It should also be stated that, honestly, there isn't much of a reason to say "before the universe". Because that would mean "before time" and "before time" is an utterly meaningless term. Time doesn't work that way. Because of that, the Universe has, for all intents and purposes, always existed. It had a beginning. We can observe that beginning. But it has also always existed, because the "always" we're talking about is dependent on the model of time that only came into being when the universe was born.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
See: Incredulity, Argument From

Please explain in detail how you could possibly know a single thing about any proposed "other universes." Thanks.

And while you're at it, perhaps you might explain to us all what a non-created universe might look like?

Ibid.

Yes they are. However, you've fallaciously insisted on asking two questions at once. Are Process and Mechanisms an answer? Most probably, yes. Where they came from is another question altogether, isn't it?

We do? Why?

What is The Same Problem again? Not being able to state with absolute certainty the origin of everything?

Q. - Isn't nature simply a self-evident consequence of the universe?

Q - Meanwhile, you'd agree that supernatural, non-temporal, immaterial intelligence is not a self-evident consequence of the universe, correct?

Then why insist on attempting to draw a meaningful distinction between the two? And why are some theists willing to state unequivocally that their God has no creator, but unable (or perhaps unwilling) to grant this same special exception to the universe?

It cannot be stressed enough that the theistic side of this debate can only make wildly speculative claims about whatever intelligence (divine or otherwise) that they might "have." They cannot demonstrate it.

Additionally, if we allow that there indeed really is An Intelligence®, it has them and not the other way 'round, no? Who would have the temerity to assert ownership over Divine Intellect?

Do you also ever ponder why anyone would run towards such an "answer" as intelligence?

So you're arguing that if no one believed in an infinite, supernatural intelligence floating around outside time and space called God, they might be more inclined to believe in an infinite, supernatural intelligence floating around outside time and space?

51089-leonardo-dicaprio-oscar-meme-6Fx4.jpeg

Does the confirmed existence of a god or gods tell us anything about their alleged intelligence? Couldn't the universe just as easily be the work of a committee of completely moronic gods?

No one is arguing for or against the existence of well-educated countries. Or were you trying to say something else?

Hah! Seriously? Even if we grant that humanity was indeed created, you don't need to hold a PhD in history to know that the entire stretch of humanity's existence has largely been one long episode of Getting It Wrong.

Let's play a round of Name That Primordial Belief and we'll see if it was in fact right or wrong. I'll start:

"Our sun orbits the earth." Primordial belief that was right or wrong?

Translation: When your beliefs and actions are dictated by Divine Authority, it sure makes everything a whole lot easier, doesn't it?

You have failed to demonstrate that withholding judgement and avoiding unmerited certainty is an exercise in faith.

Typically, this is called "skepticism" and the reason we have an entirely different word for it is because ... (((drumroll))) ... it's a different thing altogether from faith.

It isn't faith. Even the Bible says so:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." ~ Hebrews 11:1

Using this handy theistic definition of faith, it's impossible to conclude that science is a faith-based exercise. Sorry.

Who's advocating that there is no intelligence at all? Where did all those watches come from?

Some folks see intelligence as a possible consequence of time, space, and material existence. This is because the evidence leads to this conclusion.

Theists see intelligence is an immaterial antecedent of time, space, and material existence. This is because they insist on leading the evidence based on their conclusions. Their evidence? The superstitious claims of ignorant Bronze Age pastoralists.

Do "things" become more ordered as "it" goes along?

We are not the only life form that there is. Next?

How? It seems much more accurate to say that creationism begs the question by assuming that there is a divine intelligence.

So you're arguing that God didn't create the universe from nothing, correct? What sort of material did he have to work with prior to the creation of the universe?

Wait. Aren't theists the ones arguing that everything came from nothing? That God created the universe ex nihilo?

Isn't the Bible pretty clear on the question? Don't most theists start from the assumption that there was nothing in existence prior to God's alleged act of creation? If so, then it's quite accurate to say that creationists are claiming to know that everything came from nothing.

As you yourself have been arguing, this "something-from-nothing theology" does seem counter-intuitive. Is this why creationists have been obliged to posit the existence of a god (or gods) to spackle over this incongruity?

Please explain how a non-temporal, immaterial, supernatural intelligence could look like anything. Thanks.

"There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, and science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works.” ~ Stephen Hawking

It's only fine-tuned for life as we know it, isn't it? And if we're the only life in the entire universe, isn't it much more accurate to say that this universe is rather badly-tuned for life? Do we in fact have evidence of life elsewhere to support the notion that the entire universe is "fine-tuned" for life?

Really, it's just our planet, not the universe ... right? If you moved the Earth to some other spot in the solar system, it wouldn't support life as we know it.

As if we could decide to tune ourselves at all?

Yet here we are. Feel free to quibble and fret over the odds.

We live in a universe where discussions of other planets have been made possible by science. Perhaps some day in the future, science will allow us to visit some of these other planets? Perhaps even some day, other universes will be the more than just the subject of hypothetical thinking?

For now, we have an incalculably vast universe of own to be concerned with.

Care to recast that last bit in the name of clarity?

Unsubstantiated claim. Why do we have to believe in any difference(s) occurring and forming into something?

See: Physics 101.

What if The Processes are simply an attribute of matter itself?

Perhaps they were not "formed" separately? Perhaps they're an inevitable consequence of existence?

1.) You haven't demonstrated that other universes exist.
2.) You haven't demonstrated that other universes are finely tuned.
2.) You haven't explained how humanity could possibly do more than speculate about these other universes even if they do exist.

What's Square One again? That the universe exists? I suppose so.

It's correct to say that monotheistic creationists claim to know (based on little/bad/nonexistent evidence) that an eternal, non-temporal, disembodied, just and merciful, insanely jealous, supernatural intelligence created the universe warts 'n all, right? I say "Let 'em."

Other folks may prefer to not make declarations of certainty (based on little/bad/nonexistent evidence). I say "Let 'em."

Meanwhile, Dr. Satoshi Kanazawa (of the London School of Economics and Political Science) has concluded from his research that:

"Humans are evolutionarily designed to be paranoid, and they believe in God because they are paranoid." ~ Satoshi Kanazawa

I say "Let 'im."
You enjoyed yourself?

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
I would like to chime in about the supposed 'Nothing' from which the Universe began. It is not "Nothing" in the sense of "nothing there". It is "Nothing" in the sense of "It is so alien to our senses and very thought processes that we could not observe it were it constantly surrounding us". It is something that would inherently have been before the laws of physics began to exist, which means that it would not conform to anything we could ever know, because what we can know is limited by those laws.......

Though chopping your quote, I wanted to make mention of it, as I think you hit the nail right on the head there.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Just thought of something...

No, we don't need intelligence to create a universe, but we do need intelligence to understand it.

It is not separate from you. You are 100% integrated into the universe and are dependent upon it to the same degree. It envelopes you and nurtures you without dominating you. Some call it 'Tao'. And the intelligence you are tapping into to understand it is the same intelligence of the universe. Only the ego thinks it is separate in a subject/object relationship where no such separation can actually be found.