• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the universe need intelligence to order it?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Everything being Consciousness is not something you experience any different than anyone else, it is an understanding.

So you mean you're basing your ideas not on experience, but on an "understanding"? But where exactly does that understanding come from, if not from your pre-existing beliefs and assumptions?

By the way if you insist on using new-age jargon like "Consciousness" with a capital C, you really need to provide a full and clear definition of what you mean by it. I think we could agree broadly on what consciousness with a small c means, but I am not going to play guessing games with jargon like this.

Rick O'Shez

Man, are you ever missing something!

No, you are. The sad thing is you're so pre-occupied with your idiosyncratic ideas that you don't see what is in front of your nose.
Increasingly I feel your cosmic consciousness thingy is really not worth the effort of trying to understand.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Another monologue of vague new-age generalities, but yet again you have failed to describe your personal experience of this cosmic consciousness thingy.

You haven't heard a word I've said, have you? You seem to have developed a knee jerk brains response to the words 'new age'. Poor fellow. Where does it hurt?

I already told you what its like:

'the spirituality found in Zen is not to think about God while peeling the potatoes;
it is simply to peel the potatoes'

Rick O'Shez

'the spirituality found in Zen is not to think about God while peeling the potatoes;
it is simply to peel the potatoes'

This sounds horribly like another fake Buddhist quote so you will need to provide a proper reference for it.
I don't think you even know what it means.

And you still won't describe your personal experience. How revealing.

godnotgod

Thou art That
No, you are. The sad thing is you're so pre-occupied with your idiosyncratic ideas that you don't see what is in front of your nose.
Increasingly I feel your cosmic consciousness thingy is really not worth the effort of trying to understand.

What do you mean 'MY' cosmic consciousness thingy? Are you dense? The phrase itself implies something that is NOT personal in nature.

Are you saying the Buddha had an idiosyncratic idea when he realized the unity of Self with the universe, a unity that is also known as Universal Consciousness, and Cosmic Consciousness?

Have you learned anything from Theravada at all?

godnotgod

Thou art That
So you mean you're basing your ideas not on experience, but on an "understanding"? But where exactly does that understanding come from, if not from your pre-existing beliefs and assumptions?

By the way if you insist on using new-age jargon like "Consciousness" with a capital C, you really need to provide a full and clear definition of what you mean by it. I think we could agree broadly on what consciousness with a small c means, but I am not going to play guessing games with jargon like this.

Ooooooooooooh!

Rick O'Shez

Are you saying the Buddha had an idiosyncratic idea when he realized the unity of Self with the universe, a unity that is also known as Universal Consciousness, and Cosmic Consciousness?

Show me a sutta where the Buddha equates Nibbana with "cosmic consciousness", properly referenced. I'd be interested to see it. If you can't then please stop making these ridiculous assertions.

Rick O'Shez

It's backed up by the Buddha himself.

So again, let's see a properly referenced quote from a Buddhist sutta which shows the Buddha equating Nibbana with "cosmic consciousness". If you can't then stop making these misleading new-age claims.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Show me a sutta where the Buddha equates Nibbana with "cosmic consciousness", properly referenced. I'd be interested to see it. If you can't then please stop making these ridiculous assertions.

Haven't you learned how to connect dots yet? I refuse to repost material which proved what I am saying. If you don't know how information relates to other information, I cannot show you how.

Do you really think the Buddha had just a limited personal experience? How small. It's much, much bigger than you can imagine. The Buddha was a giant amongst men.

godnotgod

Thou art That
What has mindfulness of the present moment got to do with your idea of this cosmic consciousness thingy?

You're clutching at straws here, bouncing around from one idea to another, it's a complete muddle.

Absolutely Everything, but I'll leave it up to you to find out. Now go peel your potatoes.

Your brain is a complete muddle.

Rick O'Shez

Right. So you can't show us a properly referenced sutta quote which shows the Buddha equating Nibbana with "cosmic consciousness".
You can't describe the personal experience which has led you to evangelise this cosmic consciousness thingy.
All you can do provide is a succession of generalised cliches and dubious assertions.

Sorry but I really can't take you seriously.

godnotgod

Thou art That
So again, let's see a properly referenced quote from a Buddhist sutta which shows the Buddha equating Nibbana with "cosmic consciousness". If you can't then stop making these misleading new-age claims.

Look here. If you make one more willful, ignorant statement about New Age, the candy will stop, you hear?

Last piece of candy: try, try to understand: the Buddha's experience came first, then the suttas. The suttas are about what he experienced, see? You and I have the same exact Buddha nature inside us, see? So when the Buddha says that Self is the universe, the Buddha nature in me sees that truth, see? What does the Buddha nature within you see? The lesson here also comes from Jesus:

"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life."

Zen people simply burn the Buddhist scriptures on the day of their Enlightenment.

godnotgod

Thou art That
You are the one with all the weird ideas, not me.

Perhaps they seem weird to you because you don't make the effort to try to understand. You consistently want others to explain things to you, rather than do the hard work, and you're attached to this negative view of new age, while you cling to a view that seems safe to you. Are you afraid of new ideas, Spiny?

Have you peeled your potatoes today, yet?

You don't understand, do you?

Last edited:

godnotgod

Thou art That
Right. So you can't show us a properly referenced sutta quote which shows the Buddha equating Nibbana with "cosmic consciousness".
You can't describe the personal experience which has led you to evangelise this cosmic consciousness thingy.
All you can do provide is a succession of generalised cliches and dubious assertions.

Sorry but I really can't take you seriously.

So maybe peeling the potatoes won't work. Try washing the dishes instead.