• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does your spiritual God interact with the physical world?

Beaudreaux

No, not at least in a way that can be comprehended by humankind.
If God interacted with the world, what about such an action would be uncomprehendable? Wouldn't we be able to measure such actions since they are now in the realm of the physical? Or are you saying that they would join the list of things we observe on earth but cannot fully explain?

xkatz

If God interacted with the world, what about such an action would be uncomprehendable? Wouldn't we be able to measure such actions since they are now in the realm of the physical? Or are you saying that they would join the list of things we observe on earth but cannot fully explain?

Well it's hard for material beings to observe something beyond material existence (G-d) interacting w/ the Earth. Not only that, but I believe that G-d doesn't interact with the Earth and it's denizens very often.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
just a thought I'd like to toss out there: Perhaps "god" HAS interacted with the physical world and we HAVE detected "her", we just didn't recognize what we were detecting as "god" or being associated with "god".

and another thought: perhaps all the scientific explanations we have for why things happen, instead of showing that there is no "god" behind such things are instead merely the way "god" goes about causing such things to happen. That is finding a scientific explanation does not negate the presence of a "god" behind it.

I'm not saying this is necessarily the case. I'm merely saying that science doesn't necessarily trump the presence of "god". after all "god" could very well work through science.

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
just a thought I'd like to toss out there: Perhaps "god" HAS interacted with the physical world and we HAVE detected "her", we just didn't recognize what we were detecting as "god" or being associated with "god".

and another thought: perhaps all the scientific explanations we have for why things happen, instead of showing that there is no "god" behind such things are instead merely the way "god" goes about causing such things to happen. That is finding a scientific explanation does not negate the presence of a "god" behind it.

I'm not saying this is necessarily the case. I'm merely saying that science doesn't necessarily trump the presence of "god". after all "god" could very well work through science.

That is exactly how it works. He works behind all physical matter. That's why examining physical matter with science will never fully reveal the existance of God even if miracles beyond comprehension occur, because ignorance will still make up an excuse other than God for that miraculous event.. His existance will only be found within yourself where he waits for you to search for him. Once you see him inside you will see him without.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Does your spiritual God interact with the physical world?

God according to my understanding is Absolute, and thus is immanent in physical existence and simultaneously transcendent to it in the spiritual, i.e. God is omnipresent throughout all existence.

So yes, the physical world is the very outermost/external expression of God.

NeoSeeker

Searching Low & High
YES!!!! Thank you Kriya Yogi for saying this! This is a problem I have with many people, without opening their minds or putting enough work into it, they expect God to show himself. Why would God show himself to an atheist who says "Show yourself!" and has put in no effort? God will show himself to those who work and are devoted to him and have put in the effort, not people who merely say "Show yourself". Then if that atheist where to have a vision of God, they would pass it off as a dream or possible schitzophrenia.

Have you ever heard of wishful thinking? I prayed and prayed for my job interview to go well and it did. Praise the Lord! So what was that? That was God showing himself to me or was that me applying myself? It all boils down to personal interpretation. Just like my friend who swears that God saw fit to save him. Yeah, it's possible but there are another explanations so why jump on the God bandwagon? I'd be the last person who would attribute every unexplainable occurrence to an act of God interacting in our world. There was a time when locus swarms, the local volcano erupted, or most natural disasters ment God was unhappy with the local humans. Does that mean it's so?

Last edited:

Arav

Jain
Have you ever heard of wishful thinking? I prayed and prayed for my job interview to go well and it did. Praise the Lord! So what was that? That was God showing himself to me or was that me applying myself? It all boils down to personal interpretation.

Naw, that wasnt God showing Himself. You have misinterpreted what I have presented. Anything that goes well isnt God showing Himself. God showing Himself is God showing Himself, clear understanding of this occurs when it really happens.

Arav

Jain
Just like my friend who swears that God saw fit to save him. Yeah, it's possible but there are another explanations so why jump on the God bandwagon? I'd be the last person who would attribute every unexplainable occurrence to an act of God interacting in our world. There was a time when locus swarms, the local volcano erupted, or most natural disasters ment God was unhappy with the local humans. Does that mean it's so?

I never said to attribute every single unexplainable occurence to an act of God.

NeoSeeker

Searching Low & High
I never said to attribute every single unexplainable occurence to an act of God.

I did not mean to imply that. I'm trying to imagine a situation where God intervened in a person's life in such a manner that there was no doubt this was what it was. I think it gets very tricky when when you experience a bout of inner strength, you take action, and are rewarded with a desirable outcome. You could either attribute it to yourself or to an outside source such as God. How would you ever know?

Arav

Jain
I did not mean to imply that. I'm trying to imagine a situation where God intervened in a person's life in such a manner that there was no doubt this was what it was. I think it gets very tricky when when you experience a bout of inner strength, you take action, and are rewarded with a desirable outcome. You could either attribute it to yourself or to an outside source such as God. How would you ever know?

I understand what you are saying, but I must respecfully disagree. I believe that God is behind everything, every single outcome is chosen by God. Whether I succeed or Fail is not up to me, but up to God. Now, I know you may critizise this, but dont waste your time, I am not changing this view anytime soon. :)

I must admit though, I do understand where you are comming from and have been there before.

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God

Even though this universe's nature quietly whispers an infinite intelligence blantantly exists, it is man's doubt that will keep you from giving God the credit for creating such vastness and beauty. What else could create the thousands of solar systems and galaxies and yet find with his infinite nature dower everything with its own individual beauty. From the tiny birds to the giant beautiful suns it is obviously evident their is a beautiful higher power that is guiding our existance with a purpose. Even more proof is that if you read the lives of saints that all made the effort to search for God within give the same exact testimony to God's existance in their own way. Hundreds of saints can't be lying and scheming together I assure you. For that would be ridiculous. The truth is they called to God, loved God because they knew the universes vastness and beauty was urging them to come find Him. All true saints that spoke assuringly like Jesus, Yogananda, Sri Yukteswar, Babaji, Lihiri Mahasaya, Ghandhi, Buddha, John the babtist, Mother Theresa, St. Francis, and even modern day saints living today Swami Kriyananda, Roy Eugene Davis, Sri Daya Mata and more all testify for us that he does exist. He has shown himself unto all of them and more because they chose to love and search for him within with the right techniques of Yoga. What more witnesses do you need before you can give God a chance and say maybe all these saintly personifications are speaking the truth? You will never know for yourself until you experiment for yourself day in and day out. At least you know you have these saints word that you will not be wasting your time, for God realization is the only way to free yourself from pain and suffering and in turn grant you eternal bliss, love, joy, and freedom.

Forgive me if I got carried away. As you can see God and his vast nature is my passion! :)

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I believe if there is a God, probably not. But it's possible. If God sent a hurricane, then this God would have to manipulate the factors that cause a hurricane in order for the hurricane to happen and we wouldn't really know that it was God's doing, but I suppose it might be possible. But the "Black and White" type of God (the scenario of the computer game Black and White) is a God that I really doubt exists. I would think after a few million years things would get really boring.

Beaudreaux

xkatz said:
Well it's hard for material beings to observe something beyond material existence (G-d) interacting w/ the Earth. Not only that, but I believe that G-d doesn't interact with the Earth and it's denizens very often.

Why do you believe that if you cannot tell when he does it? Also, assuming you are correct, what does God do in this interaction? Why does he do it and why so infrequently?

NeoSeeker

Searching Low & High
Even though this universe's nature quietly whispers an infinite intelligence blantantly exists, it is man's doubt that will keep you from giving God the credit for creating such vastness and beauty. What else could create the thousands of solar systems and galaxies and yet find with his infinite nature dower everything with its own individual beauty. From the tiny birds to the giant beautiful suns it is obviously evident their is a beautiful higher power that is guiding our existance with a purpose. Even more proof is that if you read the lives of saints that all made the effort to search for God within give the same exact testimony to God's existance in their own way. Hundreds of saints can't be lying and scheming together I assure you. For that would be ridiculous. The truth is they called to God, loved God because they knew the universes vastness and beauty was urging them to come find Him. All true saints that spoke assuringly like Jesus, Yogananda, Sri Yukteswar, Babaji, Lihiri Mahasaya, Ghandhi, Buddha, John the babtist, Mother Theresa, St. Francis, and even modern day saints living today Swami Kriyananda, Roy Eugene Davis, Sri Daya Mata and more all testify for us that he does exist. He has shown himself unto all of them and more because they chose to love and search for him within with the right techniques of Yoga. What more witnesses do you need before you can give God a chance and say maybe all these saintly personifications are speaking the truth? You will never know for yourself until you experiment for yourself day in and day out. At least you know you have these saints word that you will not be wasting your time, for God realization is the only way to free yourself from pain and suffering and in turn grant you eternal bliss, love, joy, and freedom.

Forgive me if I got carried away. As you can see God and his vast nature is my passion! :)

No problem on being carried away. :)

They all testify that God exists based on what exactly? I'd attribute it to "feelings". Not only that HE exists, but he has all of these rules for us and is prepared to punish us for eternity, at least in the Christian variant of religion.

You see the wonders of the Universe and KNOW exactly how they came into being or at least know who is repsonsible. I see these wonders, and believe me, pictures of the universe are awe inspiring, however, I see no reason to attribute them to one all powerful divine entity or to anything I can currently understand. That is the key, I don't see it and it is not a matter of me opening my heart up to God, because first you have to have a reason to believe in God (I'm referring to a specific entity as described by major religions). And just because I might want something like a divine father/mother looking after me, that does not make it so. At best it is a huge assumption, that our existence is due to something that is intelligent, that we can understand, who guides and protects us, who purposely created the universe, purposely created spirits to implant into the human race and then take care of us or punish us for eternity. It's outstanding from a "good feelings" aspect, but is just too big of a leap for me based on the evidence, which is zero.

However it might make you feel good to know that I am spiritual. I feel most spiritual when I take a walk and glory at the beauty of the world. I can't prove it, but I hope we have spirits and that consciousness continues after physical death. There could be a higher power, a celestial committee, a Force (Star Wars), or something that is far beyond the scope of human understanding that we are part of. I just don't presently see it or pretend to know what it is, or am ready to accept mainstream religion's take on the Father and all the rules he has for us and the consequences if we don't follow them. It's just too good of an opportunity to be bamboozled by our fellow human beings. ;) I'm not worried that I don't see what you see and anyway, it's not my fault! The difference between you and me is that you feel you can put your finger on it, and I can't. Actually in the big scheme, I don't think it is important. :D

I'm not familiar with your variant of belief. Just curious if your God punishes those that don't acknowledge him? Thanks!

Last edited:

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
No problem on being carried away. :)

They all testify that God exists based on what exactly? I'd attribute it to "feelings". Not only that HE exists, but he has all of these rules for us and is prepared to punish us for eternity, at least in the Christian variant of religion.

You see the wonders of the Universe and KNOW exactly how they came into being. I see these wonders, and believe me, pictures of the universe are awe inspiring, however, I see no reason to attribute them to one all powerful divine entity or to anything I can currently understand. That is the key, I don't see it and it is not a matter of me opening my heart up to God, because first you have to have a reason to believe in God (I'm referring to a specific entity as described by major religions). And just because I might want something like a divine father/mother looking after me, that does not make it so. At best it is a huge assumption, that our existence is due to something that is intelligent, that we can understand, who guides and protects us, who purposely created the universe, purposely created spirits to implant into the human race and then take care of us or punish us for eternity. It's just too big of a leap for me based on the evidence, which is zero.

However it might make you feel good to know that I am spiritual. I can't prove it, but I hope we have spirits and that consciousness continues after physical death.
There could be a higher power, a celestial committee, a Force (Star Wars), or something that is far beyond the scope of human understanding that we are part of. I just don't presently see it or pretend to know what it is, or am ready to accept mainstream religion's take on the Father and all the rules he has for us and the consequences if we don't follow them. It's just too good of an opportunity to be bamboozled by our fellow human beings. ;) I'm not worried that I don't see what you see and anyway, it's not my fault! Actually in the big scheme, I don't think it is important. :D

I'm not familiar with your variant of belief. Just curious if your God punishes those that don't acknowledge him? Thanks!

No God does not punish those who don't acknowledge him. That would be a contradiction to his infinite love, good, and gracious nature. They in time punish themselves because then they allow there same repetitive actions or desires to cause them suffering. When you don't allow yourself to experience upliftment in consciousness from his bliss, light, joy and love within you leave yourself open to the possibility of becoming even more confused, with evil tendencies. In a world that has evil men it is important to have some hope to cling to. If you dont dross can set in and life can become hard and then your perspective can change to levels of pessimism and possible evil tendencies. Experiencing God within through bliss within is like turning on the light more and more in the dark and cloudiness of a dark room. When light comes in darkness vanishes. Believe it or not but I have experienced God's bliss and love within at certain levels and it has changed my whole being. It changes my thoughts automatically, it makes me more sensitive and compassionate towards people, it opens up my heart chakra and allows love for all to become deeper. My prayers are answered, and I attract spiritual people to me more. My life automatically becomes more organized and prioritized. You see nothing but good things come of it, and I haven't even experienced the depth that these testifying saints have experienced through samadhi.

Also no these saints I talk about testifying for God's existance are not based on feelings. Its based on direct perception through intuitive meditation and superconsciousness out of the body and mind of God's true nature. It's something you would only know is real if you experienced it for yourself. You can doubt this all you want or say what you think it is based on but it is true and until it is experienced within it is incomprehensible to our present state of mind.

Last edited:

NeoSeeker

Searching Low & High
No God does not punish those who don't acknowledge him. That would be a contradiction to his infinite love, good, and gracious nature. They in time punish themselves because then they allow there same repetitive actions or desires to cause them suffering. When you don't allow yourself to experience upliftment in consciousness from his bliss, light, joy and love within you leave yourself open to the possibility of becoming even more confused, with evil tendencies. In a world that has evil men it is important to have some hope to cling to. If you dont dross can set in and life can become hard and then your perspective can change to levels of pessimism and possible evil tendencies. Experiencing God within through bliss within is like turning on the light more and more in the dark and cloudiness of a dark room. When light comes in darkness vanishes. Believe it or not but I have experienced God's bliss and love within at certain levels and it has changed my whole being. It changes my thoughts automatically, it makes me more sensitive and compassionate towards people, it opens up my heart chakra and allows love for all to become deeper. My prayers are answered, and I attract spiritual people to me more. My life automatically becomes more organized and prioritized. You see nothing but good things come of it, and I haven't even experienced the depth that these testifying saints have experienced through samadhi.

Also no these saints I talk about testifying for God's existance are not based on feelings. Its based on direct perception through intuitive meditation and superconsciousness out of the body and mind of God's true nature. It's something you would only know is real if you experienced it for yourself. You can doubt this all you want or say what you think it is based on but it is true and until it is experienced within it is incomprehensible to our present state of mind.

Is God working upon us or from within us, or maybe it's just us? Maybe you are giving too much credit to God and not enough to yourself? I'm not prepared to draw a conclusion.

xkatz

Why do you believe that if you cannot tell when he does it?

Because I do.

(I'll add more to this later)

Also, assuming you are correct, what does God do in this interaction?

Well I can't say how, after all I am human. I believe that G-d interacts on such a large scale, yet so subliminally, it's hard if not down right impossible for humans to comprehend this. I think that Biblical figures like Moses and Abraham were considered prophets b/c they were able to comprehend and understand these interactions.

Why does he do it and why so infrequently?

He does it for a purpose that is beyond comprehension. The way G-d and the universe function are very mysterious. As for why so infrequent, I think it has to do w/ the fact that the universe is self-sufficient (for now), w/ it's own physics, rules, and laws; also, I believe that G-d doesn't need to guide humanity so much now that we too, are becoming more self-sufficient.

However, on a side note, I don't want you to think that I feel that G-d is a helper, a "crutch" so to speak. I feel that G-d doesn't help, rather he teaches, and we our his pupils.