• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donald and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Interview

Pogo

I watched Donald Trump being interviewed in Chicago for the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ), and I have to say, if this is a guy trying to drum up some support from black voters, he is totally off his rocker. It was, in my opinion, the single worst interview I have ever seen in my life -- and I've seen a lot.

Just one really quick quote, to give you a taste -- Trump claimed that Kamala Harris "has always been Indian, then decided to turn black, and should be investigated for it."

I'm linking just an overview by one (admittedly left-wing) source, but you can find the entire online if you wish, though I have to say I only recommend it to people who like poking dead animals with sticks.

Of course fox had a different take,
Harris Faulkner: Much of NABJ audience ‘was enjoying’ Trump interview

We Never Know

No Slack
Both her parents were both Tamili with her father being in the elite Tamili Brahman caste. Harris decided to be a race chameleon focusing her father's side where his parents were afro Jamaican which is where the black part comes from and her mother raised her to be a "strong black woman".

"Harris's maternal ancestry comes from Tamil Nadu, India. Her paternal ancestry comes from Saint Ann, Jamaica."

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Both her parents were both Tamili with her father being in the elite Tamili Brahman caste. Harris decided to be a race chameleon focusing her father's side where his parents were afro Jamaican which is where the black part comes from and her mother raised her to be a "strong black woman".

Yes.....and? Which of those are attributes that anyone should consider when judging her fitness for office?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
She did not "decide to be a race chameleon", but it is easy to see why Republicans are sensitive as to the racial identity of candidates. Trump lied about not knowing of her early identification, because we all learned about her being bussed to an integrated school as a child. She graduated from Howard University long before she became a public figure. There has never been a time in her life when she did not identify as African and Asian American, because that is what she has been all her life.

What Trump was doing there was to try to foment division within the black community in a way that would soften support for her at the ballot box. In fact, I would say that his attendance at the NABJ conference was done not so much to appeal to black voters as to message his own base about own racial biases and demonstrate a willingness to insult the black community to their faces. He has had a reputation for racism since even before the Central Park Five scandal in which he called for the death penalty even after the accused youths were proven innocent beyond any doubt. The first question asked at the NABJ was how he justified some of his past racist and sexist comments, and he deflected the question by calling it "rude" and attacking the questioner. He did not bother to justify what he was on record as saying. His remarks about Harris were purely racist and insulting, but that was the point. He even falsely claimed not to know what "DEI" meant, even though it has been in the news lately as a dog whistle tactic.

See: Central Park gate honors wrongly imprisoned ‘Exonerated 5'

I saw it as more playing to his base who really does get worked up and pissed off over this nonsense. Like those who made a stink and fuss over Obama and their belief he isn't black. These are people who are really stupid, dumb and offensive when it comes to race, the sort who see an American Hispanic individual and think "Mexican."

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I saw it as more playing to his base who really does get worked up and pissed off over this nonsense. Like those who made a stink and fuss over Obama and their belief he isn't black. These are people who are really stupid, dumb and offensive when it comes to race, the sort who see an American Hispanic individual and think "Mexican."
Obama was half black and half white, unless you believe in the one drop rule, which I do not. And he wasn't raised by his African dad, for that matter. He was raised by his white as milquetoast mom Stanley and her Asian husband, for the most part.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Obama was half black and half white, unless you believe in the one drop rule, which I do not. And he wasn't raised by his African dad, for that matter. He was raised by his white as milquetoast mom and her Asian husband.
So then you aren't of the racist hooligans I was talking about.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I believe race is a cultural concept. It has nothing to do with drops, and it can't always be quantified with fractions.
I can see your point but I am not sure how it applies. For instance, my great grandson was just born. He is about 1/8th African American, and his mom and dad seem lily white to me, but this great grandson is pretty dark, considering. I mean, I knew it was liable to happen, and it did. I would bet that his drops matter to him. They don't matter to me but I bet they matter to him.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Obviously you don't pay attention.
Are you sure about that? Once again it appears that you did not read your own source since it does not make the claims that you make. In fact it says this about Harris's father:

"Donald was born in Jamaica in 1938. He was the son of Afro-Jamaican parents, and he had the majority of his schooling in the country. He eventually graduated from the University of the West Indies, per Biography."

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I can see your point but I am not sure how it applies. For instance, my great grandson was just born. He is about 1/8th African American,
As I said race can not always be quantified by fractions, I did not say it never can. That depends on a variety of factors like the ones I spelled out in post 11.

But there is no such thing as 100% anything. Every human being on earth shares genetic material with every other human being. And we share phenotypic traits as well,

Someone can be biracial, but what are their experiences in the world? Do security guards follow them around stores because they are "black", or do only half the security follow them? Can they get picked up by half a taxi? You see how it is not so simple.