• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Donald Trump Jr. Just Tweeted Out Pretty Clear Evidence That He Broke The Law [...]"

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
No mud, nothing was illegally obtained, no Russian government involvement. As Van Jones from CNN likes to say, a big nothing burger.
The emails were illegally obtained by the Russians via hacking. This is the source of the information they were dangling for Jr.

Even if the Russian government wasn't involved (ha!), Jr was informed, via the emails, which we have thanks to him, that they were. So he went into it believing that it was from the Russian government.

DT Jr has said he will provide any information, transcripts or testify under oath, cooperate in any manner necessary.
I am talking about those on the Right, like yourself, who insist on turning a blind eye and making an excuse for every instance of bad behavior.

I don't know, I'm pretty much a moral relativist. Circumstances matter. Still if he broke the law he broke the law. Until he's indicted folks only have their personal moral outrage to keep them warm.
Your morals have nothing to do with it. It's illegal to plan a crime with the intention of carrying it out.

So did the DNC. If that's a crime, I'll wait for the indictments.
What evidence do you have of this? Why are you willing to baldly state the the DNC did this while you hem and haw regarding Trump's campaign?

Actually, more likely I just wait to see what they come up with next week when this goes no where.

The sad thing though is like the boy who cried wolf, if they finally do find some real criminal activity in the Trump administration, no one is going to pay attention.
We aren't "coming up" with anything. why would we need to make up this stuff when Trump and Co hand it to us on a daily basis?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The emails were illegally obtained by the Russians via hacking. This is the source of the information they were dangling for Jr.

This was prior to the circus about Russian email hacking. So I don't know why anyone would be thinking or claiming this as the source.

Even if the Russian government wasn't involved (ha!), Jr was informed, via the emails, which we have thanks to him, that they were. So he went into it believing that it was from the Russian government.

Which is not a crime. Well wasn't a crime, sure after the fact, they want to call it a crime.

I am talking about those on the Right, like yourself, who insist on turning a blind eye and making an excuse for every instance of bad behavior.

I don't know why that would matter. If it's a crime, it's a crime. Once proven and convicted. Until then, no excuses necessary.

Your morals have nothing to do with it. It's illegal to plan a crime with the intention of carrying it out.

Then probably no point in you trying to make any further moral equivalents.

What evidence do you have of this? Why are you willing to baldly state the the DNC did this while you hem and haw regarding Trump's campaign?

Not surprise you haven't heard about it.
Ukrainian efforts to sabotage Trump backfire

Sorry about hemming and hawing but but I'd rather have facts or evidence or something before making a decision.

We aren't "coming up" with anything. why would we need to make up this stuff when Trump and Co hand it to us on a daily basis?

We? You're including yourself in this? I just assumed you were feeding off the anti-Trump media sites.

Underhill

What are you talking about? This was a 20 minute meeting about a Russian adoption program. No one from the Russian government was involved.

Sure as soon as someone proves there's a china teapot orbiting the sun, I might have to accept God to, until then, I suppose I'll continue to find humor at the extremes folks go to to convince themselves of something.

The other side did the same with Hillary. I don't recall it being to this extent though. That came to nothing.

We ask for proof before believing in God but not for politics.

So you consider Hillary mishandling a few emails as the equivalent of a campaign colluding with a foreign government to undermine our election?

David1967

Premium Member
And both sides seem to have a bit of Russia issue. I'm not taking sides on this. Just pointing out that neither side is well...............

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
And both sides seem to have a bit of Russia issue. I'm not taking sides on this. Just pointing out that neither side is well...............

What do you think is wrong or possibly illegal here? Obama was the President at the time. He had the authority to speak with Russian governmental figures.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So you consider Hillary mishandling a few emails as the equivalent of a campaign colluding with a foreign government to undermine our election?

I was actually referring to the constant attacks from the right on Hillary which amounted to nothing, no charges, no conviction. The emails were only a small part of the attacks on Hillary from the right.

I kind of expect the same results here. What is reported by the news media has become irrelevant. They all go after ratings now so report the equivalent of "clickbait".

But tell you what, as soon as DT Jr goes to jail, I'll admit I was wrong. I don't mind being wrong, I just don't think I'm going to be. In the mean time I'll continue to find the media news frenzy circus entertaining.

David1967

Premium Member
What do you think is wrong or possibly illegal here? Obama was the President at the time. He had the authority to speak with Russian governmental figures.

I'm not implying anything wrong or illegal, but both sides do tend to bounce the Russia thing back and forth.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The Trump family may be use to handling business in such manners (unethically) and just assumed they could transpose such behavior into politics.
No doubt.
They are ignorant of the laws and they are not use to working in a spotlight as bright as the US presidency.
They clearly aren't used to working in a political environment. What makes me suspect this may have been one of the ways Russia tampered with the election is that they are keenly aware that the Trumps are used to not only doing business in a business way, but also used to getting their way - their arrogance also makes them blind to possible scams, because they see themselves as too smart to have a fast one pulled on them. But Junior had a fast one pulled on him. Russia didn't need to hack the election and tamper with votes as it seems they worked to damn either candidate and deal a blow to the integrity of our election process. Of course they could find stuff on Hillary; she's a politician who's too good of a politician to be squeaky clean. And giving it to the other candidate who's family doesn't have a mind for politics took it without realizing there would political consequences to pay rather than business consequences.There's no one they can sue, no one they can stick the bill with, no where to run to. Russia I am almost confident enough to say deliberately took advantage of and exploited Trump's political inexperience and naivety. Clearly Putin doesn't really see Trump as a friend, as his people planted on hell of a political minefield for Trump and his crew to dance around, and Trump is too stupid to see this and talks as if they are buddy-buddy.

Nous

Premium Member
52 U.S. Code § 30121. Contributions and donations by foreign nationals

(a) Prohibition. It shall be unlawful for—

(1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make—

(A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;

(B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or

(C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 30104(f)(3) of this title); or

(2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.​

52 U.S. Code § 30121 - Contributions and donations by foreign nationals

It sounds to me that Junior, according to his own statements and emails, is guilty of violating § 30121(a)(2). By setting up and attending the meeting with the Russian lawyer, he solicited and accepted a foreign national's express or implied promise to make a contribution of a thing of value in connection with a federal election.

Underhill

I was actually referring to the constant attacks from the right on Hillary which amounted to nothing, no charges, no conviction. The emails were only a small part of the attacks on Hillary from the right.

I kind of expect the same results here. What is reported by the news media has become irrelevant. They all go after ratings now so report the equivalent of "clickbait".

But tell you what, as soon as DT Jr goes to jail, I'll admit I was wrong. I don't mind being wrong, I just don't think I'm going to be. In the mean time I'll continue to find the media news frenzy circus entertaining.

It is more than entertaining and has a deeper purpose, as it did with Hillary. You are right, it probably won't amount to much legally now. It should, but it won't. What it does do is make Trumps agenda untenable and his re-election nearly impossible.

Besides which, at this point I don't think I want Trump to be booted out. I would rather have an incompetent who is unlikely to be able to do anything at the helm than a true believer like Pence, who republicans would rally behind like Moses marching on the promise land.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
This was a 20 minute meeting about a Russian adoption program.
Did you read the emails released by Donald Trump Jr.? This was not setup as a meeting to discuss Russian adoptions. Donald Trump Jr. was told that he would get compromising information on Hillary Clinton as part of the Russian Government's continuing effort to help Trump get elected. What actually took place at the meeting is less important, as intent is everything.

Underhill

So what is this supposed to be? Without context it could mean anything from when their kids can get together for a play date to when he can share the nuclear launch codes.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I'm not implying anything wrong or illegal, but both sides do tend to bounce the Russia thing back and forth.
There was nothing wrong with what that video showed. Don't fall for the propaganda and what GOP media spun it into. I clearly didn't hear Obama say he's interested in the Russian government hacking America for op research.
How can you even try to make the comparison? This is the result of propaganda daily for a decade.

I watch CSPAN in the morning and I'm still hearing conservatives call in blaming Clinton and Obama for everything. And they're still told lies, by GOP media, that Clinton sold Russia 20% of our uranium?

People need to learn how to fact check, Hannity and the gaggle of conservative entertainers are intentionally deceiving the public.

Fact-checking Trump’s tweets about Clinton and Russia
Donald Trump's Mostly False claim on Hillary and uranium
Donald Trump claims — falsely — that Hillary Clinton gave Russia 20% of US uranium
FACT CHECK: Hillary Clinton Gave 20 Percent of United States' Uranium to Russia in Exchange for Clinton Foundation Donations?
No, Hillary Clinton did not "give Russia 20 percent of the uranium" in the US
Clinton ‘Uranium Deal’ & Russia: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I'm really not sure what you are finding objectionable here: what "Russia thing" are you referencing from the video you posted?

Any and every instance of our government or President working with Russia is not inappropriate.

It is, however, inappropriate to work with Russia to get yourself (or your candidate) elected.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Did you read the emails released by Donald Trump Jr.? This was not setup as a meeting to discuss Russian adoptions. Donald Trump Jr. was told that he would get compromising information on Hillary Clinton as part of the Russian Government's continuing effort to help Trump get elected. What actually took place at the meeting is less important, as intent is everything.

Yes, what law is that breaking?

If he is really breaking the law, he'll be prosecuted. If not he won't.